NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

I do dropsets, 100 was my 1rp (60x5,80x3,100x1,60x6)

That's good going. I do more of a 5x5 thing (5 sets of 5 reps, increasing the weight each time). I've seen good gains with it, particularly with the bench pressing and deadlifting, ever since I've started doing it at home. I don't necessarily stick to it on the heaviest set, if I'm struggling at 3 then I'll maybe limit it to 4. Majority of the time, I manage to get 5 out.

Ahhhhh. I just follow my pt's lead with deadlifts, I'm still in the learning phase. Getting up to the higher weights I find the form can go a bit, especially if the weight is too much, so going back to the dropped set really helps to hammer the form down properly :)

Yeah, it takes a lot of discipline, time and practice to get it right. You're still early days into all of this so getting the form down now is the important thing. If you can shift a lot of heavy weight too, then it's a bonus.

I did 1 set of 5 reps 90kg deadlift last night. The workout I was following (Starting Strength) said that you should only do one set at the start until you get used to it.

I managed 90 pretty easily, I reckon I could manage 1x5 100kg next time.

Looking at the Strength Standards I'm pretty much at Novice stage for all the main lifts which is good (if not above, those are 1RM whereas I'm doing mine from 3x5 sets).

I did 1 set of 5 reps 90kg deadlift last night. The workout I was following (Starting Strength) said that you should only do one set at the start until you get used to it.

I managed 90 pretty easily, I reckon I could manage 1x5 100kg next time.

Looking at the Strength Standards I'm pretty much at Novice stage for all the main lifts which is good (if not above, those are 1RM whereas I'm doing mine from 3x5 sets).

I was looking at those thinking o_O that seems high for a novice, before realising it was 1 rep max. Wondering if I should start incorporating that into my training or not.

Played squash tonight. Some of the shots that were made were ridiculous. Awesome fun. Am sleep.

Got annoyed with my grip limiting my deadlift so I ordered some straps. Bring it on.

Oh yeah, I always use grips or I'd never hit the weight I do or even come close. But even on lighter weights it feels much easier since you don't have to concentrate on your grip at all leaving you to focus purely on form.

I also use them for shrugs and even pull downs sometimes depending on the machine I'm using.

I'm going to try and limit straps to real high weights as much as I can. Could happily do 110kg (excluding the bar...how much do they weigh?) but only five reps before my grip couldn't deal.

I'm going to try and limit straps to real high weights as much as I can. Could happily do 110kg (excluding the bar...how much do they weigh?) but only five reps before my grip couldn't deal.

I think the standard full length Olympic bar is 20kg.

Well good times. That's 130kg and now I have straps MWAHAHAHAAAA!!

Shoulders, Tris and Traps tonight. Omega-tired.

I have football club tomorrow and squash on Saturday, too. Rest, not even once.

Was checking my stats last night and comparing to 2 1/2 weeks ago. Everything is very positive!

Arm: 30cm - 32.5cm

Waist: 99cm - 93cm

Chest: 87cm - 98cm

Upper leg: 55cm - 56cm

Leg/arm measured around the biggest part, untensed.

Waist measured around belly button, letting it all flab out.

Chest, around nipples, untensed

Very positive, obviously a lot of fat will be falling off and the muscles getting back to their previous size before my 3 week bender!

Managed to deadlift a couple reps of 150kg yesterday. Fuck-a-doodle-doo, my traps are feeling it...and my back, but mostly my traps. Probably because I did behind the neck barbell press after, too.

This stupid 14 miles of cycling to and from work a day is really taking its toll on me. I'm not really sure what to do. I just feel exhausted most of the time.

Managed to deadlift a couple reps of 150kg yesterday. Fuck-a-doodle-doo, my traps are feeling it...and my back, but mostly my traps. Probably because I did behind the neck barbell press after, too.

This stupid 14 miles of cycling to and from work a day is really taking its toll on me. I'm not really sure what to do. I just feel exhausted most of the time.

Eat more (insert meal time joke here).

You'll probably be burning far more calories than you're taking in.

...I already eat...at least 3000 calories a day (easily). Any tips on eating more? Like good but calorie filled food. I basically eat every three hours, if not more. And I snack.

Maybe exhausted was too strong. It's more like, when I get somewhere (like when I get home after work) it becomes virtually impossible to get me to go somewhere else.

Edited by Daft

LiveStrong say that you will probably burn around 50 calories per mile on a light cycle. So at a minimum you're burning 1400 alone on cycling to and from work a day. Add that to the (I don't know your stats so average) 2000 BMR calories you're already up to 3400 and that's before you lift weights.

Work out your BMR and add your daily activities to that and that's how many calories you need to maintain a constant weight. Eat less and you'll lose weight, eat more and you'll gain weight (probably muscle).

I'm not sure what your goal is but I would recommend protein shakes or protein bars to help get some more calories.

You have a BMR of 1937.79

I'm probably being dumb but I'm not 100% sure what that means exactly. I'm guessing I burn 1938 calories without doing anything (It's 14 miles cycling for the whole day, not each way so that's 700 calories burnt. That's less terrifying than 1400. :heh: ).

Adds up to 2,638 calories burned a day...and then the gym on top of that which is all weights. Is it possible to work that out?

I already have two protein shakes a day, maybe I should up that to three. Would that really help, though? There's only a certain amount of protein my body can process.

I'm probably being dumb but I'm not 100% sure what that means exactly. I'm guessing I burn 1938 calories without doing anything (It's 14 miles cycling for the whole day, not each way so that's 700 calories burnt. That's less terrifying than 1400. :heh: ).

Adds up to 2,638 calories burned a day...and then the gym on top of that which is all weights. Is it possible to work that out?

I already have two protein shakes a day, maybe I should up that to three. Would that really help, though? There's only a certain amount of protein my body can process.

Yeah that's right, that's (roughly) what your body will burn without you doing anything.

Absolutely, you burn calories by doing things, there's no limit of how many you can burn. Michael Phelps has an intake of 12,000 a day when he's training.

From what I've read you should intake 1 gram of protein for pound of weight in your body (strange metrics).

The average bloke needs 2000 calories just to for his body to perform basic functions. You can easily add double to that if you've got a pretty active lifestyle and that's not factoring in any workouts.

If you're looking to add size, you should be aiming for 1.5 to 1.75 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

Suddenly I'm surprised I'm not starving to death.

Yeah that's right, that's (roughly) what your body will burn without you doing anything.

Absolutely, you burn calories by doing things, there's no limit of how many you can burn. Michael Phelps has an intake of 12,000 a day when he's training.

From what I've read you should intake 1 gram of protein for pound of weight in your body (strange metrics).

Damn, in that case I'll be upping it to three protein shakes a day. When's usually a good time to take them? Currently I have one right after the gym and one before I go to bed.

...I already eat...at least 3000 calories a day (easily). Any tips on eating more? Like good but calorie filled food. I basically eat every three hours, if not more. And I snack.

Apparently coconut oil in your shakes does the trick.

Damn, in that case I'll be upping it to three protein shakes a day. When's usually a good time to take them? Currently I have one right after the gym and one before I go to bed.

From everything i've read the only times when you should be having one is after workouts. A lot of people also recommend using Casein just before bed. It's absorbed much slower into the body then than normal whey protein, so it stops the muscles 'starving' over night and aids repair during sleep.

Personally, I have one after each workout and i've started to using Casein before bed too. It's a lot thicker and more like a milkshake but I like it, definitely feel less 'sore' at times the next day.

Apparently coconut oil in your shakes does the trick.

...How strange...I actually have old-pressed, virgin, organic coconut oil for my beard.

Don't laugh.

From everything i've read the only times when you should be having one is after workouts. A lot of people also recommend using Casein just before bed. It's absorbed much slower into the body then than normal whey protein, so it stops the muscles 'starving' over night and aids repair during sleep.

Personally, I have one after each workout and i've started to using Casein before bed too. It's a lot thicker and more like a milkshake but I like it, definitely feel less 'sore' at times the next day.

Nice! I'll have a look into Casein.

The only time to have protein is after workout? ...That seems a little limited.

...How strange...I actually have old-pressed, virgin, organic coconut oil for my beard.

Don't laugh.

Nice! I'll have a look into Casein.

The only time to have protein is after workout? ...That seems a little limited.

Nah, I meant that's the only time you should absolutely make sure you have some. Doesn't really matter where you fit the rest in during your day.

From what I've read basically have one whenever suits but just not too close to each other. The *need* to have one right after finishing the gym is a bit of broscience (but still good practice, as a routine, nonetheless). I would go one with morning, afternoon and post-workout.