NEurope
Mokong

Happy New Baktun!

Surprised there's no thread here for the "End of the World"

well I guess that is cause ye were all confident that I would prevent the

:heh:self promotion FTW

I know people here were smart enough to not panic over the "end of the world".... but did anyone have any expereinces with some people, friends or family who did get a slight (or more) worried over the whole thing and Nostradamus and all the crap?

I had a cousin who is usually pretty level headed, but when it came to this no matter how much I told him the calender just starts again like any other calender he'd then go "but Nostradamus predicted it too....and he predicted Hitler and World Wars...etc etc"

*facepalm*

Anyway, I wish you all a Happy New Baktun as the Mayan Calender ticks over to 13.0.0.0.0 on this the first day of the 14th Baktun.

...I kinda want to start using the Mayan Calender now....I think after all the crap over the "End of the World" in the lead up to this we should respect the Mayans better and start using their calender :heh:

Even though I wasn't expecting much, I read a nice article on Yahoo yesterday about how dumbfucks are stockpiling candles and stuff (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mayan-apocalypse-2012--how-the-world-s-believers-are-preparing-for-the-end-135520325.html)

But one thing I took note of what that other Mayan calendars exist which extend beyond todays apparent apocalypse. Why many chose to disregard those tablets of stone* and believe this one I'll never know.

Plus, Busted went to the year 3000. So that's conclusive proof right there.

*May actually be on paper or something. I don't care.

Got this on loop

Thanks now I just have an urge to play this game again.... wish Nintendo would hurry up and announce/release the 3DS remake already :heh:

what are all the doomsday preppers going to do now with all there stored food? have a huge party?

thank god there wasn't any widespread hysteria and looting

I was in Sainsburys, browsing some tvs and looking at blu-ray players (crying at my wallet). Then, got a phonecall, right on 11:11. Was looking around to see if the people of Sainsburys were going to join me in this "lol, coincidence" moment. Sadly, nobody did.

I just had a thought...

In the way the Mayans count days, months, years, etc.

A day was k'in. Twenty of these k'ins are known as a winal or uinal. Eighteen winals make one tun. Twenty tuns are known as a k'atun. Twenty k'atuns make a b'ak'tun.

As they were a base-20 kind of people everything was done in 20's as you see above...with the exception of the "tun" which is equal to 18 "winals"... (not sure why that is but if I'm reading things right it is equal to 360 days...not far off an actual year there, well done Mayans)

So we are currently at the start of the 14th Baktun or 13.0.0.0.0

What happens at the end of the 20th Baktun? As far as I can find out they don't have a "number/name" for 20 Baktuns... is there a 1.0.0.0.0.0 (where that first 0 is the Baktuns being reset)...or is that actually the END OF THE MAYAN CALENDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

*tosses petrol on the fire*

Of course we're still 6 Baktuns away from that, which is about 2365.56 years from now (1 Baktun is 394.26 years from what I'm reading)

so that would be what? Summer Solstice in the year 4377... we is DOOOOOMMMMMEED :heh:

What happens at the end of the 20th Baktun? As far as I can find out they don't have a "number/name" for 20 Baktuns... is there a 1.0.0.0.0.0 (where that first 0 is the Baktuns being reset)...or is that actually the END OF THE MAYAN CALENDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.0.0.0.0.0 Piktun

1.0.0.0.0.0.0 Kalabtun

1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 K'inchiltun

1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 Alautun

When the 20th Alautun ends in the year 1261621052, then we have to worry.

1.0.0.0.0.0 Piktun

1.0.0.0.0.0.0 Kalabtun

1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 K'inchiltun

1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 Alautun

When the 20th Alautun ends in the year 1261621052, then we have to worry.

I'm out of thanks for the day.... so thanks :D

Those crafty Mayans, making me think they only planned for 20 Baktuns...but they planned even further ahead than I thought they would have bothered.

Its a shame this well thought out calender is being wasted...we should start using it as standard...at least untill 1,261,621,052 :heh:

We can plan that right now - 20 Alautun will from now on be known as Eneetun. We only need four of those cycles before we reach 5,046,484,208. By which point the Earth is due to be destroyed by the Sun.

As some lady from Trás-os-Montes told our news program:

"Whenever Our Lord wishes for the world to end, Our Lady will go behind His back and stop it."

I like this view that God is a senile old couple. Countryside wisdom strikes again.

I do think that this highlights one of the big problems with the media: this should have been seen as a dawn of a new era - a new cycle, as what was originally intended. With the excuse for parties and celebrations. Not the "End of the World".

But as the "End of the World" sells more newspapers, that's the stance that was chosen.

It seems not as many people have bothered (even the media from what little I've seen) with this end of the world thingy, probably due to the last Mayan prophecy being bullshit.

Aw, bundersnucks.

I'd better actually do some damn Christmas shopping.

Stupid Mayans, getting my hopes up...

probably due to the last Mayan prophecy being bullshit.

It's nothing to do with what the Mayans said. For them it's just a cycle - it would be like saying the world ends because the 2012 calendar ends on the 31st December.

Decided to read up on the Mayans as I was bored/interested and I stumbled upon some of their symbols which apparently symbolise the end of the world/calender. Found this one which apparently is of a crocodile spewing up water over human kind and thus flooding the earth bringing on Doomsday. (No idea who interprets this shit).

3.bild.jpeg

*looks out window*

Rain and floods. Oh wait.....

;)

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.