N-Europe

Justice League (2015)

Retro_Link

Might aswell start a thread for this as I'm sure plot/casting speculation and details etc... will start to ramp up soon.

But our potential first main piece of news...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/03/justice-league-villain-announced

Justice League Villain Rumored

With the Justice League movie set to hit screens in the summer of 2015, it looks like the superhero team-up flick has found its villain.

If Latino Review is to be believed, the evil force which Superman, Batman, the Green Lantern and Wonder Woman will do battle with is none-other-than Darkseid.

Created by Jack Kirby in 1970, Darkseid is a dastardly god from the war planet Apokolips, and ranked at number six in our list of the Greatest Comic Book Villains, where we described him thusly:

“Darkseid’s motivations are rather simple – conquer and control all life by unlocking and solving the Anti-Life equation.

“Perhaps the most appealing trait of Darkseid is his lack of interest in direct physical confrontation… he has immense strength, endurance and eye beams that can disintegrate, teleport or torture opponents, yet he chooses to manipulate events from the shadows, allowing his minions to act on his behalf.”

So if Warner Bros. retain this behaviour, expect Darkseid to the first of several villains to be announced for the Justice League movie.

So DC fans – does this announcement make you happy?

darkseid-20051029015100762-1297647_640w-610x778.jpg

I've read a few comments, and people are saying this is too big a villian for the first Justice League movie.

That Thanos is one of many epic badguys from Marvel, but where does Justice League go from Darkseid?

Obviously they need a big threat to bring them all together but still. Should they have maybe gone with Sinestro or something?

Also, I kinda struggle with the thought of the Justice League, because I just end up thinking how the fuck would Batman fight someone like that... and that ultimately Superman will be the one to end up doing all the work and be the one to deliever the finisher/save the day.

Also considering both this and Avengers 2 are both out Summer 2015, I hope they make Darkseid look considerably different to Thanos... more like he did in Smallville maybe!

They just need to get Ron Pearlman to play Darkseid and they're sorted. I'm fine with him being in the film, I'd be surprised if he were the only villain.

Batman is the person that holds the Justice League together. Without him they'd get shit all done. Also Darkseid and Supes can go toe to toe but Batman's the only one who fucks Darkseid over by threatening to blow up Apokolips.

I just hate that Aquaman will not be in this. He should be in this and then the second film should be about the war for Atlantis or something. Just get Michael Fassbender to play him. Then we could have Mera too and she's so fucking awesome.

Also, I don't know if on closer inspection it will be that similar to The Avengers since the tone DC seems to be going for is quite weighty and epic, or as everyone loves to call it "gritty". Marvel's films are very lighthearted. But we'll see.

I'd like to see a Justice League Dark film, too.

So is Flash not in this?

I suppose they need to start off with as few as possible, as they already need to introduce Batman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman in a single film.

Perhaps the films starts off with a few smaller adventures, and each one slowly work out about Darkseid while occasionally coming into contact with each other. After Batman works out that all their cases are connected, he manages to convince each one to work together just before the final battle starts.

This allows them to have the majority of the film focusing more on the three new origin stories.

Or they could just just start each one off an individual adventure and just presume that everyone knows the backstory (then they can do three prequels for an origin story in much more detail).

Also, I don't know if on closer inspection it will be that similar to The Avengers since the tone DC seems to be going for is quite weighty and epic, or as everyone loves to call it "gritty". Marvel's films are very lighthearted. But we'll see.
Oh no I literally just meant in terms of Thanos and Darkside both being 'wrinkly faced, helmetted, planet destroying gods of war' :p

You just know there'll be some confusion from audiences, and 'well it looks like [insert whichever film comes second] just copied [insert whichever film comes first]'.

---

Also do we know it is just those four, and Flash/Aquaman aren't in it?

Be a bit lame if they aren't and it's just those 4. It almost would be like DC copying The Avengers route!

@Cube I really don't think they're gonna do another 'introduction' film for Batman, and I'd doubt if they'd bother doing one for Green Lantern either.

Batman will likely just carry on especially if they use JGL. And Green Lantern is all set up for a sequel anyway so they'll probably just do a Hulk and swap actors and carry on.

Edited by Retro_Link

But aren't they going for a more "realistic" universe, where people are less accepting of these superheroes (kind of like Nolan's Batman)? As good as Green Lantern was (is Ryan Reynolds too busy or something?), it's in a universe where the people are more like "oh, a superhero. Woo! Go, superhero!".

I suppose they could use a different actor and have the Green Lantern films a "this is roughly what happened" but have a few hints as to some thing that were a bit different, in order to make it fit a bit more.

But aren't they going for a more "realistic" universe, where people are less accepting of these superheroes (kind of like Nolan's Batman)? As good as Green Lantern was (is Ryan Reynolds too busy or something?), it's in a universe where the people are more like "oh, a superhero. Woo! Go, superhero!".

I suppose they could use a different actor and have the Green Lantern films a "this is roughly what happened" but have a few hints as to some thing that were a bit different, in order to make it fit a bit more.

Wow.... just... wow

The sad thing about the Green Lantern film is that Mark Strong as Sinestro was fucking brilliant. Also, the actual action scenes were quite good, but yes, the rest was utter shite.

Oh no I literally just meant in terms of Thanos and Darkside both being 'wrinkly faced, helmetted, planet destroying gods of war' :p

You just know there'll be some confusion from audiences, and 'well it looks like [insert whichever film comes second] just copied [insert whichever film comes first]'.

---

Also do we know it is just those four, and Flash/Aquaman aren't in it?

Be a bit lame if they aren't and it's just those 4. It almost would be like DC copying The Avengers route!

I wonder if DC will introduce Orion from the off, too.

I'm pretty sure they'll have at least 5 including the Flash. I wouldn't be surprised if they included Cyborg for some diversity, though.

I can live without Aquaman if they bring him in in a follow up. I basically want to see his entrance in JL#4 committed to screen. Although, having said all that, his stock in the DC universe has been rising, not just in his solo book but in stuff like Batman the Brave and the Bold.

Ever since the Avengers I think I just hate Iron Man. He's so predictable, even down to his mannerisms. I think Thor is the best of the Marvel films, personally. I absolutely love it. GL actually could have learned a few pointers off it in terms of introducing a whole weird universe. The Hulk films and Cap A just suck.

I'm beyond interested. Day funking one baby.

If Darkseid if the big bad for the first film I'd love them them to do the Secret Society for the second. And then for the final film the funking Anti-Monitor or if they cant do that well then some kind of Brainiac story. Fuck just do the whole Brainic/Luthor team up from Justice League Unlimited.

I also enjoyed the GL film, not as good as Thor/Iron Man but much better than Captain America.

I've read a few comments, and people are saying this is too big a villian for the first Justice League movie.
Some people's main complaints about Avengers were that the villains were faceless nobodies. There was no real threat because a dozen individual random soldiers posed no threat to an Avenger, and the Hulk could flatten Loki in an instant.

I think it could really be in Warner Bros. best interest to go in strong.

• 1 month later...

Line-up revealed?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/24/justice-league-movies-roster-revealed

Justice League Movie's Roster Revealed?

Who's in, who's out of the superhero lineup?

Several superheroes reportedly didn't make the cut for the lineup of characters to appear in Justice League of America, Warner Bros.' hoped-for answer to Marvel's The Avengers.

According to Latino-Review, the final five members of the onscreen JLA are Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern.

Not making the cut are such JLA characters as Aquaman, Hawkman, and the Martian Manhunter, although the site claims there might be room for one or two cameos.

UNACCEPTABLE.

Seriously, Aquaman is rightful King of Atlantis. He is ruler of the seas. He LITERALLY has domain over two thirds of the world.

I'd like to see an Elseworld comic where Aquaman and Atlantis emerge from the waters and turn Earth into a Utopia (with their tech and harmony with the environment ethos), in the vein of Red Son, you'd have Batman and Lex trying to stop him (obviously because Superman would be Aquaman's bitch).

It is a bit disappointing for both fans and people new to Justice League that the only 'new' characters introduced through the movie are Wonder Woman and Flash.

Unlike Marvel's characters, People are SO familiar with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman [depending on your age], and now even somewhat Green Lantern, that they really could have taken a gamble on a few other characters maybe.

Unlike Marvel's characters, People are SO familiar with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman [depending on your age], and now even somewhat Green Lantern, that they really could have taken a gamble on a few other characters maybe.

But they still have to re-introduce everyone except Superman, without any individual films. Avengers did a great job introducing Black Widow (I don't count Iron Man 2 as she was pointless with no introduction) and Hawkeye, but people will expect a lot more detail for the big superheroes.

But they still have to re-introduce everyone except Superman, without any individual films. Avengers did a great job introducing Black Widow (I don't count Iron Man 2 as she was pointless with no introduction) and Hawkeye, but people will expect a lot more detail for the big superheroes.
They don't have to re-introduce Batman! If they waste any time of the film doing so I'll be pissed!

Also aren't they counting the Green Lantern film, even if they change the actor?

If they waste this film with introductions then they haven't gone the right way about it and should have followed Marvels model. I kinda just assumed they'd go *BAM* here everyone is, Know Them!!

Yeah, they definitely don't have to reintroduce Batman. Superman will be sorted. I expect Wonder Woman will be the most 'introduced' with the Flash being seemingly pretty simple 'accident in a lab - can run fast' thing (even though his powers and story are way more compicated - save it for a solo film).

Hawkeye was definitely not well introduced in Avengers. Hawkeye was silly when we wasn't being mind-controlled.

It is a bit disappointing for both fans and people new to Justice League that the only 'new' characters introduced through the movie are Wonder Woman and Flash.

To be honest, I can understand from a structural standpoint why they would limit the team size. Avengers barely got away with its team size and it was going for a much more light-hearted tone than I expect DC/Warner Bros will go.

The previous rumour said Aquaman would be integral to the plot, and he has become central to the Justice League in the comics, so there's still hope he turns up. If he does, it need to be in this fashion.

3we1.jpg

It's got to be a FUCKMEAQUAMANWILLNOTTOLERATESHITFROMNOONE moment.

Edited by Daft

• 1 month later...

I think they's just go straight to Nightwing, which could definitely work and be a reason for Bruce to come back into the fold before deciding to set up the Justice League in response to all the Kryptonians turning up in Man of Steel.

Also, more Catwoman.

I liked to think at the end of TDKR that Gordon Levitt was gonna step into the Robin/Nightwing role anyway and Batman was always left open for Bruce to return, or at least help JGL's character train/get to grips with taking over from him as Batman one day.

I'd love this to happen too.

Bale's Batman + Cavill's Superman in the same film would no doubt it would be a HUGE draw for the Justice League Movie, and having 4 actors in it that the general audience already recognise (Bale, Cavill, JGL, Hathaway) would be a really strong start, and make the film far easier to establish the new characters, and spend less time on character setup.