NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The NEW New Super Mario Bros. U Thread

Just got the notification for the Mario Youtube vids and thought "yeah yeah"... but wow, the first one is genuinely awesome! :o

I just watched the advanced 1up video. Insane how the use Yoshi to 'eat' Luigi all through the level and spitting him out just to jump on the enemies. Thus gaining 23 1ups in the level.

I just watched the advanced 1up video. Insane how the use Yoshi to 'eat' Luigi all through the level and spitting him out just to jump on the enemies. Thus gaining 23 1ups in the level.

Thats from the wii version

Thats from the wii version

It seems to be from the Wii U game to me. It takes place on Acorn Plains 3 like the rest of the videos.

The world map is the best thing about this game, really nice.

Some of the most original levels were at the very end before the final battle.

It seems to be from the Wii U game to me. It takes place on Acorn Plains 3 like the rest of the videos.

Ah okay,they did exactly the same thing n the wii u, 4 yoshi s spitting out luigi til the end of the level.

I got this for Christmas and love it. It's the best of the New Super Mario Bros. series. I really do love the challenges - so addictive and really freshens up the game. It looks gorgeous and the levels are all designed so well, it just flows wonderfully.

Totally agree Zechs!

I loved it from start to finish and its the first 2d Mario I have wanted to actually do absolutely everything on (all star coins, exits etc).

My total play time was around 32 hours ish - and it flew by!

:love:

Not bad considering it was the title I was least excited about!

Since I've 100%'d the narrative, I thought I'd be done...but I'm intent on getting gold on all challenges

Got this for xmas and im absolutely loving it. Its the best "New" SMB by far. Im enjoying a lot more than i did NSMB2. In also finding it a lot more challenging than previous ones which is welcome

Having just completed this a few days ago (though being far from collecting / unlocking everything), I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. Seriously, I can't remember very much at all that isn't either the same, or at least similar to (e.g. light blocks / yellow Yoshi) things featured in previous Mario titles. As for the level design, pretty much every single one just screamed out same old, same old to me. If it wasn't for the excellent challenge mode, I think I'd probably have enjoyed NSMB2 more than this. At least in that game, the gold flower and coin collecting gimmicks made you play the levels in a different way than normal. Glad everyone else is enjoying it, as did I, to some extent, but I really think it's time for a big shakeup in the 2D Mario department now.

I personally feel that this game comes to life after the story is finished and you have to collect the star coins / do the extras.

If you want a challenge then I suggest you get back on it!

Though I understand the criticism of the game for its lack of 'newness' I really had a great time with it. 2d Mario's are kinda gonna be the same. I wouldn't want them to divert from the formula too much in the next one though do agree there needs to be some form of shake up in order to stop it becoming completely redundant in terms of offering a fresh experience.

But yeah, definitely stick with it to see the true charm of this one! It's worth it!! :)

I do think one of the best things about this version is the comments on the world map. I like scrolling acround to see what people are up too. The challenge mode is great albeit challening. Ha!

Having just completed this a few days ago (though being far from collecting / unlocking everything), I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. Seriously, I can't remember very much at all that isn't either the same, or at least similar to (e.g. light blocks / yellow Yoshi) things featured in previous Mario titles. As for the level design, pretty much every single one just screamed out same old, same old to me. If it wasn't for the excellent challenge mode, I think I'd probably have enjoyed NSMB2 more than this. At least in that game, the gold flower and coin collecting gimmicks made you play the levels in a different way than normal. Glad everyone else is enjoying it, as did I, to some extent, but I really think it's time for a big shakeup in the 2D Mario department now.

Agreed, it was very samey to the other three NSMB games. Most of the levels were identical, just with different obstacles in Mario's way. There were some great levels, the rest was the same boring, repetitive rubbish we'd played three times prior.

It's a fun game, but no more. The laziness on the part of the soundtrack bugs me most I think, to actually use the exact same tracks as the other NSMBs is just ridiculous.

I seriously think people complaining about lack of imagination in levels need to go back and look at the creativity of the levels in past games and they'll see how it really is

I've dragged myself up to World 3 so far but don't know if I can manage much more, it's just so bland and the music is a complete joke.

It's as though they forgot this game needed a soundtrack and then shit one out in half a day. Compare it to the likes of Nintendo Land or Mario Galaxy and it's even more insulting.

Despite that though, the Miiverse features are pretty neat and the Challenge Mode isn't bad.

This reminds me...

I've played through exactly half of the games worlds during release week and I haven't touched the game since, I do want to finish it but I've just been playing a load of Sega & All Stars Racing Transformed - around fifty hours at last count - so this has just fallen by the wayside as it were but then so have the rest of my games.

My new years resolution will be to play this and finish it along with my other Wii U launch titles apart from Sonic. :p

The more I play this game the better it gets. The challenges are amazing and I'm really struggling with some - which says a lot as I'm a pretty experienced gamer!

kqmsk.jpg

Err, not to sure where to put this really, nor do I have an idea how much of the traffic through here this would even apply to, but, our Spanish forumers/guests can currently get NSMBU for just €10 when purchased along with a Basic or Premium console until Jan 5th.

Yes, shamelessly stolen from GoNintendo but I'm trying to do folks a favour here.

I got this for Christmas too and loving it. Stuck on the "final" airship where Bowser Jnr has the Koopa car which punches. I can't seem to avoid the Bomb-Ombs, I think I'm too eager.

Rather annoyed about being able to throw shells etc upwards. Feels like a massive step back.

Ive just conpleted the story of this and now i need to get all the star coins. Ive loved every minute of it and glad that the difficulty has been ramped up!

Got all 5 stars on my file early hours of this morning, now I can move onto either Zombi U or Paper Mario Sticker Star on the 3DS.

Was a fun game, some tricky parts in the later levels and some of the challenges are evil.

More please :)

I'm playing this in small chunks as I don't want to fly through such an epic game. I've just started the mountain area after Soda Jungle. The levels are so incredibly well designed and I'm really loving the challenge of getting the three coins.

I've spent a lot of time on challenge mode too, which is devilish in it's difficulty.

The levels are so incredibly well designed

I just can't understand how anyone can possibly think that. The levels are bog standard NSMB fare, the same predictable stuff we've gotten three times previously and the usual left to right with a few obstacles and easily uncovered hidden bits behind walls.

Now, Super Mario 3D Land on the other hand, fantastic level design.