NEurope
Jimbob

The Red Dwarf Mafia

Can you expand on the nerfing, other than you turning from a protector to a tracker (my role)? Is there something I'm missing?

Basically I was a full protector. The day we killed Holly I protected danny while he role blocked Cube. On this day my protection from him being tracked/spotted failed apparently because while overtaking Holly as the main computer I was devoting my energies to the takeover. But we never knew this would happen and as a result danny was spotted (the prisoners also shouted 'this is for the prison officer' which should never have happened, Cube is not a tracker anyhow). Cue danny lynched.

Can you expand on the nerfing, other than you turning from a protector to a tracker (my role)? Is there something I'm missing?

Well, originally we were told that Sheikah would protect from any targeting at all. The night in question, where we killed you, Sheikah protected Dannyboy while he tried to block Cube. Now, had Sheikah protected him, Cube shouldn't have been able to get to him. Jimbob basicaly said because your powers were transferring over to Sheikah (or something) Sheikah's protection power was reduced, so he actually DIDN'T protect Dannyboy from Cube. So Cube got information on Dannyboy rather than being blocked, and that got Dannyboy lynched the next day.

We were mostly frustrated because there was no mention of this happening before it happened. We were pretty much a day from the win, and then Dannyboy was gone for information that we didn't think Cube should've had. And, seeing as both myself and Sheikah were both clearly defending Dannyboy when he was lynched we thought one of us (probably Sheikah) would be gone the next day. We honestly thought we would lose at that point.

Sheikah, no need to rub it in mate, we won - be gracious in victory! The town really did play well, and to be honest I'm totally for lynching neutrals when I'm a townie. And the two neutrals were both pretty scummy - I think as town I would've lynched Animal as well. Getting rid of a double vote obviously hindered them, but he did a pretty good job of breaking a few townie powers. I don't think any townies can really be blamed for voting for him tbh.

Still, I think the mafia did well. bob was great, he played the 'I'm really confused!' think really well - while some of it was honest, I think he did really well not to arise suspicious. I'm really suprised nobody asked what the love virus did, or ever ask what bob did on other nights. He did really well!

Fair enough with that, I would be annoyed if a power was changed during the night phase, especially if it directly leads to a lynch. Although I do still think giving you a "make up your own rules" thing after that was far too generous to you. I think in terms of when the GM makes a mistake/does something someone isn't happy with, a lot of the time the best course of action is an apology, trying to make amends often has too much of an effect on other people who weren't involve in the mistake. Just my opinion, anyway.

About the luck virus. At first we just used it to protect the murderer from being found by anyone, but then Jimbob mentioned that we could use it for whatever we wanted. So we said that anyone who targeted a certain person during a night phase would die in a lucky way. Was that what happened during the last night? Did both those people target Sheikah?

Personally i thought it seemed a bit jammy, but i wasn't going to argue at the time!

Fair enough with that, I would be annoyed if a power was changed during the night phase, especially if it directly leads to a lynch. Although I do still think giving you a "make up your own rules" thing after that was far too generous to you. I think in terms of when the GM makes a mistake/does something someone isn't happy with, a lot of the time the best course of action is an apology, trying to make amends often has too much of an effect on other people who weren't involve in the mistake. Just my opinion, anyway.

Yep, it's important to try balance it before you begin so that sort of thing doesn't happen. Still I liked the theme a lot Jimbob. Moreso because it tied in nicely with Red Dwarf X airing.

About the luck virus. At first we just used it to protect the murderer from being found by anyone, but then Jimbob mentioned that we could use it for whatever we wanted. So we said that anyone who targeted a certain person during a night phase would die in a lucky way. Was that what happened during the last night? Did both those people target Sheikah?

Personally i thought it seemed a bit jammy, but i wasn't going to argue at the time!

Yep. That's why 3 people died last night.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

We were mostly frustrated because there was no mention of this happening before it happened. We were pretty much a day from the win, and then Dannyboy was gone for information that we didn't think Cube should've had. And, seeing as both myself and Sheikah were both clearly defending Dannyboy when he was lynched we thought one of us (probably Sheikah) would be gone the next day. We honestly thought we would lose at that point.

That was balanced by giving me information (that there was even less reasoning for me receiving than Dannyboy) that guaranteed that Mangus would have been lynched that day.

Yeah it was extremely overpowered.

That was balanced by giving me information (that there was even less reasoning for me receiving than Dannyboy) that guaranteed that Mangus would have been lynched that day.

Yup again more balancing.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

on-the-fly balancing should be kept to a minimum IMO. You design a game, THEN you run it. If there are balance issues, you already made your bed. You learn for next time, and you make an even better game.

Definitely. I feel this Mafia was much better than Jimbob's last and I'm sure his next will be much better again.

cool idea, way OP though

It was overpowered, but it only worked on the last day, and I think it was allowed to happen more for a big finale than any actual game reason. As long as we killed tonight, we won, so it didn't matter how many died, as long as it was at least one. So yeah, it would've been game-breaking if we could've used it sooner, but we only used it on the last night when it was already decided.

on-the-fly balancing should be kept to a minimum IMO. You design a game, THEN you run it. If there are balance issues, you already made your bed. You learn for next time, and you make an even better game.

Aaaaaand this is EXACTLY what I said in the forum when it seemed Jimbob was 'balancing' things mid-game.

Definitely. I feel this Mafia was much better than Jimbob's last and I'm sure his next will be much better again.

Indeed so, i got an idea for another one already. But i don't intend on running it until next year.

And @Sheikah, it certainly did co-incide with the new series of Red Dwarf. And funnily enough, it ended around the same time as the series did.

For the record, I only ever balance something when I notice a certain power (or power combination, in the case of the mafia) is more broken than it should be, and even then, I tend to simply limit the amount of times the power is going to be used.

Which means I rarely buff the underpowered roles, though.