N-Europe

The Wire Season 1 Mafia

Yvonne

Yes, but it's not contribution that you're asking for, it's information. In my original post on this topic I talked about it a bit, and mentioned how asking everyone for information will put people off. Asking for contribution is fine, and forcing contribution by voting is also fine in my opinion. But asking for information and then complaining (not the right word but I can't think of the word I mean) when they don't reveal it isn't the way to get people talking.

I think not posting and not contributing is unacceptable (hence why I often agree to voting off inactives) but holding onto information that you don't want to reveal is perfectly legitimate in these games. I wouldn't lynch someone for not telling me who they targeted last night, for example, but if Dedede and Rez hadn't posted today I probably would've voted for one of them to be lynched (and will likely do so if they don't post tomorrow). I completely agree with you that people should contribute every day, but I don't think constantly badgering for information is the right way to go about it, that's all!

(Also: thanks :))

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I got from today is that Jayseven may or may not be the guy who roleblocked Peeps, and he's blaming it on alcohol.

Knowing Jayseven, likely true. He once redirected a (thought-to-be) vigilante onto a known townie (while being townie himself).

At another game, he activated the lynchbomb of a fellow mobster!

Not to mention the one time where he punched his own face three separate times...

Where was I going with this? Ah, yes, please check Jayseven's power or alignment, those of you who can.

I feel that Sheikah is being overly aggressive but I trust him to be town for now. I don't think he'd go so over the top as mafia because it would be clear that he's overcompensating... and as he holds his game-playing skills in such high esteem, I don't think he's mafia :p

Jayseven may be the person that roleblocked me on nights 1 and 3. Was anyone roleblocked by someone described as an idiot during night 2? If not, it's probably Jayseven. I believe his being drunk excuse but I think if he had roleblocked me and was town, he would've said so by now.

Jayseven, did you roleblock me? :p

If he's town and he says yes we're in trouble :-/

Actually forget that. If he says yes either way he's in trouble. A townie probably wouldn't target you twice, especially after your information yesterday, so we'd all be gunning for him even if he was just a townie targeting drunkenly. Or he's a mafioso and he doesn't want to lie and we've caught him. OR he's a townie, we let him off, and then the mafia kill him to ensure no roleblocking of kills.

To be honest I think in jayseven's position I would just say no :D

I honestly think if he's town he would've come out with it when he was posting earlier. He specifically made the excuse about targeting the same person on nights 1 and 3 because he was drunk, why not just come out with it all then? If he did roleblock me, it's because he's mafia as far as I'm concerned :p

To be honest I agree, which is why I wouldn't expect him to say "yes"! If he IS mafia he'd basically be confirming it, so he's more likely to say no just to survive the day... I realise in saying this I've stopped you catching him out, but I doubt he'd be so silly as to admit it if he was mafia tbh. Still, will be interesting to see what he says, especially if we have a lie detector around.

I need to use my power on 3 townies in order to win. I was not thinking clearly and could only recall that Peeps was a town when I cast my die.

There is another angle to this. If town suspects me of being mafia, then the mafia are more likely to keep me alive for longer for the 'confusion' I leave. While some may see this as me 'wasting' town's abilities in trying to clear me, it still means I stay alive longer - which means I'm more likely to piecemeal together my own thoughts.

Jonnas pointed out that I have excellent down points in my mafia games. As cube hinted before, I am also capable of game-breaking moments, too. I am sensitive to the interrogation process way more than I am to figuring out, on the fly, who is good and who is bad. I work better when there are several days worth of thread to sift through and find patterns. Combined with my default inability to be succinct, we're all destined for the same excruciating circus.

Just saying, I think blaming alcohol could be genuine, but it is a convenient excuse, and pointing out your history of a few silly mistakes is getting a bit meta-game and not judging you on how you are playing, but your personality in real life. It's a thing that I think gets used a bit too much - Sheikah and dohnut always do big long arguing posts which can distract from either from them being either town or mafia, etc. etc. I could go on for ages about different people's playing styles - what we have to judge on is how people are playing THIS game, what they've done, what they claim, and what evidence there is.

Nope :grin:

What character are you? I understand your reasoning that it won't help us find mafia (which only works if you're town and that's not proven) but you are the most suspicious person at the moment and you have a case against you, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a bit more information out of you than the average player.

If it helps, everything about myself is out in the open. My character, my role and my successful targets.

I don't see why it's the wrong tree. jayseven did something very suspicious and his only excuse is alcohol. It's only fair for Peeps, who has been our most useful player so far, to expect more explanation of role/character. The best thing jay could have done was to come clean early in the day, but instead, we worked out it was him targeting The Peeps, and he is still refusing to release much about himself.

Alcohol and secondary role condition that I need to target 3 townies*

If you haven't seen the show then you are going to miss out on subtleties and nuances. You have to appreciate that. Asking me a question such as "would revealing your character be a negative thing?" inherantly neglects the non-binary nature of what is good and what is bad in the show, and thus what this mafia game itself will do with such perceptions of morality.

Marcamillan has watched the show, and I think he is expressing the wiser opinion here.

Consider other avenues. Please note that I have been trying to educate people about the vital circuitry of the show i.e. explanations of teh beeper/character descripts.

Other points to cosndier;

no lynch (11): The Peeps, uəʌəsʎɐɾ, Jonnas, Sheikah, Supergrunch, Diageo, Rummy, Zell, Jimbob

Zell (9): The Peeps, Jonnas, Sheikah, Cube, DuD, Diageo, uəʌəsʎɐɾ, Jon Dedede

Rummy (1): The Peeps

Marc (1): Rummy

No Lynch (5): mr-paul, DuD, Jon Dedede, Sheika, ReZourceman

I am not a double-voter (that I know of! To test: Vote:Nobody)

Two double voters: Jonnas, Supergrunch, Diageo, Zell, Jimbob

One double voter: Jonnas, Cube, Diageo

Alternatively, if there's a triple-voter then it would mean that Cube HAS to have a double vote, however surely it's unlikely that there'd be two such voters in one game. Much more likely that jonnas or diageo have one double, with the other belonging to grunch/zell/jimbob. Jimbob being the only one alive means we only have him to ask about it.

504 South Broadway is a stripjoint. In the TV show this is a front for the Barksdale crew. It is significant because there's a stripper that works there that essentially helps out the wire case (and gives Lester a thing or two).

Also, it would be smarter to look at who didn't vote for Zell

Zell (9): The Peeps, Jonnas, Sheikah, Cube, DuD, Diageo, uəʌəsʎɐɾ, Jon Dedede [mr-paul, who voted after majority]

Did not vote:

heroicjanitor

Jimbob

Marcamillian

Nintendohnut

ReZourceman

Tales

(of course, one may trust these to varying degrees, and one may doubt the last few voters as they could be potential mafias in sheep-skin)

(it's taken me over an hour to do this. Inept.)

That Jimbob is a potential double-voter and that he didn't vote for dell would mean there's another line of inquiry we should pursue. @Jimbob!

It's fine to say 'consider other avenues' but there's not much else going on. We had something to go on and you were being questioned in a simple line of enquiry. However, instead of co-operating, you went a bit overly defensive imo. What if the people down these other avenues all react the same way as you? We'd have nothing. You have to understand the need to push leads and question people. It would make me feel all warm inside if you were to reveal something about yourself as a simple trust exercise.

Having said that, I'm not convinced on you either way which is why I've not voted. I was simply asking questions to get as much information on the situation as possible. Overall your reaction is pretty much typical of what I remember of your town gameplay :p so I'll lay off now.

I will apologise if my last post seems like I was lecturing you about the other avenues; I actually added the first line on after I'd refreshed this page and it wasn't meant to come across as if I was being even more defensive, rather it was meant to be an "ok, I'll pull my finger out and give something back to the discussion."

My playstyle (lurkish, inept, forgetful, defensive) aside, trusting me aside, I think it is valid for someone to say "I don't want to say something, and I don't want to say why I don't want to say something." It seems a lark, but just as you don't know who to trust, I don't know who is listening, or what information would be useful to them and not town.

The plus side is that as the days and nights roll on, these walls of text and butting of heads will provide larger haystacks with more needles in.

@heroicjanitor was viewing the thread earlier (I appreciate it is UK night now); @Jimbob for reasons above; I think @Marcamillian's alright; @Nintendohnut hasn't exactly been quiet, unlike @ReZourceman and, to a lesser extent

@Tales have been quiet.

It is likely that this short list of non-zell-lynchers contains a mafioso or two. Likely.