NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (March 22nd)

Monster Hunter Tri Vs Monster Hunter Wii U - screenshot comparison

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/42553/monster-hunter-tri-vs-monster-hunter-wii-u-screenshot-comparison/

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Brings Hardcore to Wii U

Monster Hunter Tri is coming to Wii U, but what exactly has changed?

- Lagiacrus: snapping jaws and electrified

- Tigrex: hyper-aggressive movements

- vastly cut-down loading times

- 50% more content than Tri, but most of it is in the upper levels of the game (G class quests)

- Brachydios is a cross between a poisonous rhino and an extraordinarily aggressive, volcanic T-Rex

- drops explosive neon-green saliva

- can pile-drive you into the ground with its arms

- leaves a residue of slime wherever it treads

- Barroth, a mud-loving rhino-like monster that rumbled around the desert in Tri

- green nodes on Brachydios' head start to glow before he erupts into rage mode

- monster stamina system has been expanded

- now its easier to know when a monster is weakened or hurt

- bring two AI companions along in single player

- Cha-Cha and Kayumba sing stat-boosting songs and have the odd stab at a monster during battle

- real purpose is to draw a monster’s attention away from you

- GamePad screen shows your map

- can also be used to fiddle with your inventory

- targeting button that lets you lock on to monsters

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/10/04/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-brings-hardcore-to-wii-u

[Nintendo Direct] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate presentation

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wii U screenshots emerge

db23b978c411b16a396d5033bd094dc3.jpg?v=202200

c7b69c6b9fcaa5b48d63a53446ed0d57.jpg?v=202200

03b493971b4200bf9e0e9994d6980f72.jpg?v=202200

4361907a5e771ebbe0386e2008cddfdb.jpg?v=202200

f392e9f7e39df14355e54b09b0e3331b.jpg?v=202200

6a13f0e836c4a7cb0698e8e1a96a694d.jpg?v=202200

fefb3357a1e07696a1fa03b7607193dc.jpg?v=202200

fefb3357a1e07696a1fa03b7607193dc.jpg?v=202200

d7be6aa4fc8e4842d9b27b20aed51eae.jpg?v=202200

bf7b87eae0b8f7aeccbc9ef01f92e21b.jpg?v=202200

a28e1023426c5b53dd718803926efe10.jpg?v=202200

48fe974a6d2937b9526cc6844b67e442.jpg?v=202200

4182752b6ef7b98d4dff32d0807f04a7.jpg?v=202200

10089e7879be61db2bbaef8dcb81e2ef.jpg?v=202200

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2012/10/04/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-wii-u-screenshots-emerge

I think now that I understand MH I will enjoy this more than MH3 because I know what I'm doing. It looks great, but hopefully as I'll be able to master it quicker I won't have to spend quite as much time on it as I did on MH3.

March is next month right?

I wish :cry:

The wait is killing me! My 3DS is CRYING for this game! :cry:

For those who are interested, Capcom will be demoing this title at the New York Comic Con with a live stream showing off first gameplay footage at 7:00pm EST Oct 11, so midnight for us over at their twitch channel.

I'm fairly sure twitch archive shows automatically though so don't worry if you miss it as you can just click on videos at the bottom of the page and start it again.

Hopefully they will reveal some of the online aspects as part the general chatting.

Edited by Captain Falcon
fixed link

I can't wait to hunt me some Jhen again, got all excited when I saw him in that vid.

So wait... what exactly is new here? As someone who spent 400 hours playing Tri is this something I should be excited about or what?

OMGOMGOMGOMG I SQUEALED LIKE A LITTLE GIRL AT THE TRAILER!!! :bouncy:

This moment just makes me feel all giddy and happy inside! :D

ibwYmyFIAhaniC.gif

Fucking March, why you so far away!? :cry:

So wait... what exactly is new here? As someone who spent 400 hours playing Tri is this something I should be excited about or what?

Below is a quote from Ville a few pages back with a run down on differences

So basically MH3U is based on the MH3G? Digging up info, here you go @kav82:

Monster Hunter Tri

# Small Monsters: 17

# Large Monsters: 18

# Total Monsters: 35

Monster Hunter 3G = Ultimate

# Small Monsters: 22

# Large Monsters: 50

# Total Monsters: 72

Weapons from Tri:

-Great Sword

-Sword and Shield

-Hammer

-Lance

-Switchaxe

-Long Sword

-Light Bowgun

-Heavy Bowgun

New ones:

-Dual Sword

-Hunting Horn

-Gunlance

-Bow

New Areas:

-Mountain Stream

-Tower 3

Weapon quantities MH3 vs. MH3G:

-GS: 74 vs. 135

-Lance: 69 vs. 200 etc

Armours:

-MH3: 62 sets (blade / gunner) + 30 single pieces

-MH3G: 195 sets / pieces (most for both blade and gunner, some for male / female only)

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3G:_Monsters

http://mh3g.trigwiki.jp/data/1037.html (open with Chrome and turn auto-translate on)

So basically we have 32 new boss monsters, 4 new weapon classes and 2 new areas. However, the amount of new weapons and armours is just staggering...

Blade weapons:

-GS: 135

-Lance: 200

-LS: 151

-SnS: 182

-DS: 153

-Hammer: 194

-HH: 101

-GL: 154

-SA: 162

Total: 1432

Guns or their parts:

-Bow: 121

-LBG: 106

-HBG: 107

Total: 334

Total number of weapons / gun parts: 1766. Like wtf, have a nice life collecting them all xD

In short 5 new small monsters and 32 large monsters, doubling the total number of monsters to hunt. Not to mention a frigging ton of new weapon and armour types to build.

As someone who has 800 hours plus hunting time on Tri I am VERY EXCITED for Ultimate.

Below is a quote from Ville a few pages back with a run down on differences

In short 5 new small monsters and 32 large monsters, doubling the total number of monsters to hunt. Not to mention a frigging ton of new weapon and armour types to build.

As someone who has 800 hours plus hunting time on Tri I am VERY EXCITED for Ultimate.

Is that 32 actually new monsters or can I expect the usual barrage of clones (Baggi/Jaggi, Ian/Los, Barioth/Giggi, etc etc)?

Is that 32 actually new monsters or can I expect the usual barrage of clones (Baggi/Jaggi, Ian/Los, Barioth/Giggi, etc etc)?

Edit: Whoops sorry, was thinking of the small monsters. Never mind.

In short, it's at least 3 times the amount of content as the original MHTri.

Edited by Dcubed

That's 32 new monsters on top of about 20-22 new "clone" subspecies variants of existing monsters, making up a total of about 72 large monsters IIRC.

There's also around 4-5 times as many armour and weapon pieces to create, two new areas to explore and more!

In short, it's at least 3 times the amount of content as the original MHTri.

Hmm. Sounds tempting but I think I'm gonna pass. I imagine the good content takes at least 100+ hours to get to, and I can't justify spending that much time with an upgraded version of a game I've already played when there's so much out there I've still not indulged in! :D Plus, the fact that those first 80 or so hours aren't very exciting helps too, lolol.

Count me in for 4, though... :P

Hmm. Sounds tempting but I think I'm gonna pass. I imagine the good content takes at least 100+ hours to get to, and I can't justify spending that much time with an upgraded version of a game I've already played when there's so much out there I've still not indulged in! :D Plus, the fact that those first 80 or so hours aren't very exciting helps too, lolol.

Count me in for 4, though... :P

Heh, yeah the new content should be mostly on the higher levels. My plan is to blast through the lower levels as quickly as I can, most definitely using the new weapons like dual swords and gunlance...Still, just like you, I'm a bit afraid if the game is just gonna feel too similar after 550+ hours of Tri...

Heh, yeah the new content should be mostly on the higher levels. My plan is to blast through the lower levels as quickly as I can, most definitely using the new weapons like dual swords and gunlance...Still, just like you, I'm a bit afraid if the game is just gonna feel too similar after 550+ hours of Tri...

It be a genuine doubt. :D

I didn't spend 550 hours with it, but still... 400 hours is quite a long time and I should really be attending to Xenoblade right about now, plus I'm sure I'd waste at least 300 hours with the damn game and that's a scary thought, lol. :P

But I'll at the very least be watching some let's plays of the new content before I make my final decision.

Those first 80 hours or so will fly by as everyone will be in their N-E hunting groups helping eachother clear those boring quests quick.

Those first 80 hours or so will fly by as everyone will be in their N-E hunting groups helping eachother clear those boring quests quick.

This is also true. But still... it feels "dirty" to double dip on such a loooong game.

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

A few observations

1. I know it's a GameCube game, but it looks good. Every time a cg cutscenes came up I thought this looks good, but then realised. Surely wii u games should look ike the cg cutscenes? (Not a criticism, an observation)

2. People played it for hundreds and hundreds of hours? How? Is the game really that good with that much to do? Do you not max out your character really quickly and not much more to play for?

3. 80 hours before it gets going? I one level this is daunting, you have to play through lot which before it gets interesting, but also exciting. I played not 10 hours and thought it was great. So the fact it moves into another level... Why exactly doe it improve so much?

A few observations

1. I know it's a GameCube game, but it looks good. Every time a cg cutscenes came up I thought this looks good, but then realised. Surely wii u games should look ike the cg cutscenes? (Not a criticism, an observation)

2. People played it for hundreds and hundreds of hours? How? Is the game really that good with that much to do? Do you not max out your character really quickly and not much more to play for?

3. 80 hours before it gets going? I one level this is daunting, you have to play through lot which before it gets interesting, but also exciting. I played not 10 hours and thought it was great. So the fact it moves into another level... Why exactly doe it improve so much?

I'm sure given the time and money they could make a game that looked like the CGI sequences but ultimately, the all the assets for this game were made with far more limited hardware in mind with monster models dating back to the original game though they have been touched up a little over the years including some much better texture work in this version. But the cost involved with making a game that looked that good was one of the reasons cited for Tri shifting away from the PS3 during development - the closest thing to full on HD ground up version was Dragon's Dogma and you can see how some of it's ideas have moved into MH4. But that didn't have the biggest budget in the world which is good as sales were steady but not spectacular as they just edged past the million mark. And now 4 is on the 3DS again keeping the cost down.

There is no leveling of your character in the traditional sense. What happens is that you complete quests and gain experience. Once you gain enough experience, your Hunter Rank improves. A higher Hunter Rank allows you to take on more difficult quests. Now obviously there are only a finite number of quests but there is so much stuff to craft that in order to get the necessary components, you need to do missions over and over until you get lucky enough to get the right drop from a slain monster. With hundreds of weapons and hundreds of bits of armour, plus a load of gems to customise said items, it can be a real time sink trying to get all sorts of custom set ups that lend them self to certain situations. Some people like to try and break their own speed record times for beating monsters whereas others like to spend their time helping out novice hunters as they learn the tricks of the trade.

It improves over time because you ultimately gain more freedom. You have access to craft a more diverse weapon set. You'll be seeing monsters that can allow you get top notch armour. You get to take on the really challenging quests that will be a step beyond anything seen in the original installment. Having that greater knowledge of monsters means you can get more cunning with how you formulate plans to take them down. You get more freedom to demonstrate your skills and knowledge to ultimately be the best hunter possible. And you get to do it alongside your mates whilst you're at it.

One thing that I really loved about this game is that, when you thought you knew everything about a particular monster, you get to experience something new, like a new hunter trying out a different but successful tactic, or yourself being daring enough to try out a new strategy and having it produce a massive benefit. This game rewarded exploration, cunning and preparation. And then, just when you thought you had seen it all, you would see someone trying a weapon that you thought looked lame, but in their hands of a master, would decimate creatures (first time I realised what HAMMER TIME really meant). So you try out said weapon and you uncover a whole new playing experience.

And then there is the feeling that no two quests are the same. Sometimes you get other monsters crashing your hunt, a gleam appears in everyone's eye, and they decide that they can handle two at once, whether it's 4 on 2 or 2 to each boss. Or you fight a particularly large version of the boss whom dwarfs all versions you have fought before and simply refuses to calm down, seeming like he/she is always enraged. Oh and those times when you do tackle more than 1 monster at a time and regret it, as the tag team synergy between the beasts proves to be a bit more than the group can handle (if rathalos and rathian properly sync their attacks it's carting time).

I only sunk 280-300+ hours, can't quite remember, but had plans to play much more as I didn't get round to trying the gunner sets or giving the lance a proper go, but alas, health issues held me back. This game can't come soon enough. Sometimes, it reminds me of the best fights from devil may cry 1 and 3. Those fights that you went back to play just for the sheer challenge and fun, over and over.

I only sunk 280-300+ hours

MH is probably the only series where a statement like that can even be taken seriously, lol.

But yeah, I get what you mean perfectly. I started with a Hammer because guides said it was the thing to do as a beginner. And I hated it. Couldn't even come close to using it effectively and I couldn't stand the Lance or the GS either so I used the SnS till I got the first Longsword and then just stuck with the LSs till I pretty much completed the game. And that's when the fun started... I decided to revisit the other weapon classes, and it was like a whole new world, this time. I loved everything all of a sudden, particularly the hammer, which I hated so much at the beginning... it's funny to think that the one weapon class I hated the most when I started the game ended up being the class I ultimately fell in love with and ended up mastering. At the end of those 400+ hours I put into the game, I was one with my hammers. Those perfectly timed 3 pound attacks where executed masterfully and chained in absolute precision. Felt so damn good it's no wonder people kept hanging around till HR999 :D

I still play MH3 all the time. 800+ hours. I don't want to have to play all the way through what I've already done to reach the 50% new features in the Wii U game. 3DS and Wii U save files can be copied and transferred, so why not Wii? I know Wii save files of MH3 could be copied and implemented if they tried. It would be simple for them.