NEurope
gaggle64

The Mental Health Thread - Living in the cuckoo's nest

As far as I'm aware, I didn't comment once on mental illness; so I'm not entirely sure where you're getting that from @Dannyboy\-the\-Dane(tagging saves quoting your whole post).

You talk specifically about autism, a mental disorder, and you also mention general mental issues, so I took the post to be aimed at mental disorders in general.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

I took the test and I scored 4 points, which was pretty much expected. I'm as far from Autistic as you could get.

I do however, have a form of synesthesia (which is what all the cool kids have ;) ).

On a similar note, what's the difference between naughty kids and those with ADHD?

On a similar note, what's the difference between naughty kids and those with ADHD?

We have maybe two ADHD kids in my school, my observation of their behaviour gives the definition as "literally can't sit still". It's like they are constantly vibrating in their chair until the moment they can't old it any longer and something bursts inside and they HAVE TO jump up and down for a few minutes.

There's a line between that and attention seeking - attention seeking children are the ones who are looking for a reaction to their bad behaviour, ADHD kids don't care.

We have maybe two ADHD kids in my school, my observation of their behaviour gives the definition as "literally can't sit still". It's like they are constantly vibrating in their chair until the moment they can't old it any longer and something bursts inside and they HAVE TO jump up and down for a few minutes.

There's a line between that and attention seeking - attention seeking children are the ones who are looking for a reaction to their bad behaviour, ADHD kids don't care.

We were doing teaching practice last spring, and there was one boy like that too. A very bright student, but constantly moving and shifting in his chair, sometimes sitting on the floor a bit etc. The teacher just took it like it was nothing that special, i.e. didn't make a number out of it.

You talk specifically about autism, a mental disorder, and you also mention general mental issues, so I took the post to be aimed at mental disorders in general.

Yes, my main points made were around autism. Looking back, I see I mention 'mental health issues' once in my original post of the thread. Yet you've taken what I've said to somehow equate to mental illness, and I just can't see how you've reached that conclusion when I haven't even said it.

You have, in essence, judged my opinion and said I have no right to hold it without experience. Why do I have to justify it? Why are you so certain I might be completely mistaken and wrong, and are so quick to judge my opinion that I haven't justified? Is it just because I haven't? Does that mean I can't have it? Maybe I'm very fully qualified to hold my opinion, yet just because I haven't spelt it out, I'm apparently not and it's an unfair and cynical one to hold? I feel like you're almost doing the one thing that you're expecting others not to, prejudging me with preconceived ideas.

And, as an aside, playing devil's advocate; what if we take Jay's earlier example of the Rosenhan experiment and suppose that, some people, possibly even yourself, have been diagnosed/given the label of autism when they are, in actual fact, just on the normal spectrum of existence?

My point isn't that it isn't an issue, my point is merely that it needs to be put into perspective. I thought I made it clear with a few extreme examples I used. Don't get me wrong either, I've always tried to tell people never to judge another man's pain; but as much as it's a bitch to stub my toe(or smach myself in the balls), is it equatable to holding equal weight to those who have suffered far worse? I'm not intending to belittle the problem or issue, but I'm aiming not to over-inflate it, either. I feel like I've made clear statements in the thread which are being generalised out to a bigger/slight tangenital issue.

Essentially, it isn't black and white. It's very complex. It isn't yes or no, it's a sliding scale that's not easy to define, yet...I feel like sometimes people are trying to say it's simply this or simply that, when it really is not.

Edited by Rummy

I do appreciate your counterpoint as well, Rummy. I don't know what it's like to have serious mental issues, only have had mild depression etc. Still, it's all subjective, you the person are the one feeling the pain and the suffering, so who can tell you this or that...But, it also works in the other way, i.e. any issue can be blown out of proportion. This is the very difficult line we all must walk...what is "permanent" disability, what can I do something about, when am I just making excuses, etc...

I think that's a very good point that perhaps cuts right to the heart of both sides of the 'argument', ville.

Yes, my main points made were around autism. Looking back, I see I mention 'mental health issues' once in my original post of the thread. Yet you've taken what I've said to somehow equate to mental illness, and I just can't see how you've reached that conclusion when I haven't even said it.

You have, in essence, judged my opinion and said I have no right to hold it without experience. Why do I have to justify it? Why are you so certain I might be completely mistaken and wrong, and are so quick to judge my opinion that I haven't justified? Is it just because I haven't? Does that mean I can't have it? Maybe I'm very fully qualified to hold my opinion, yet just because I haven't spelt it out, I'm apparently not and it's an unfair and cynical one to hold? I feel like you're almost doing the one thing that you're expecting others not to, prejudging me with preconceived ideas.

And, as an aside, playing devil's advocate; what if we take Jay's earlier example of the Rosenhan experiment and suppose that, some people, possibly even yourself, have been diagnosed/given the label of autism when they are, in actual fact, just on the normal spectrum of existence?

My point isn't that it isn't an issue, my point is merely that it needs to be put into perspective. I thought I made it clear with a few extreme examples I used. Don't get me wrong either, I've always tried to tell people never to judge another man's pain; but as much as it's a bitch to stub my toe(or smach myself in the balls), is it equatable to holding equal weight to those who have suffered far worse? I'm not intending to belittle the problem or issue, but I'm aiming not to over-inflate it, either. I feel like I've made clear statements in the thread which are being generalised out to a bigger/slight tangenital issue.

Essentially, it isn't black and white. It's very complex. It isn't yes or no, it's a sliding scale that's not easy to define, yet...I feel like sometimes people are trying to say it's simply this or simply that, when it really is not.

If I have misjudged your opinion, I apologise.

The comment I made was not intended to read "you have not experienced this, therefore you cannot have an opinion on it", though obviously I can see how it can be read that way. What I intended to say was that your opinion, as I mistakenly read it, was in contradiction to my knowledge and experience in the area, which suggested to me you have not had much experience in the area and that your opinion was therefore based on false premises.

The key here is that I misunderstood what you were trying to say and thus the premises of your argument. The reason is that I mistook your post for the kind of general mental condition scepticism I have encountered far too often and which aggravate me to no end, and this would appear to have led me to put words into your mouth, for which I apologise.

(For the record I believe any good argument is backed up by reason and justification, but even one that isn't is still valid, of course. It was not lack of justification, but simply the misunderstood opinion itself that I found cynical.)

Reading the rest of your post, it would actually appear we agree very much on the topic. (Though I can guarantee you that despite my level of functionality now, I was a very clear case of autism as a child; I've come a very long way since then.) It really is a very complex issue, and the crucial thing is to understand it as much as possible so we can make the right decisions.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

I've had bipolar disorder for a few years, though it's gotten dramatically better lately but it was fairly desctrutive for a while.

It has always stopped me from doing my full potential.

Nothing a good backhand wouldn't cure.

As for me, well I suffered from depression a few years back but that's it. Well apart from a weird memory thing that has all the hallmarks of PTSD without the traumatic experience that I haven't found an explanation for but has become a driving force for me in my desired research.

What kind of depression did you have? My only "actual" experience of someone with depression is some guy who brags about it as it it's some sort of badge of honour, taken from his Twitter bio:

"Hey,Im Jack, a depressive reclusive emo freak x Life is solonelypleasedont destroyit theway I have. Grunge rock forever, R.I.Pmy inspiration in life Kurt Cobain"

[Although I'm semi-proud of my epilepsy but I don't shout out my condition from the rooftops when I meet someone]

In person he genuinely seems a happy guy, which makes me think he's just trying to get attention. Or using it as some sort of justification for being lazy - "Do this", "Oh I can't I'm depressed". I don't believe it helps that he's trying to play the Kurt Cobain angle as if he's some sort of god, something which I usually associate with emo pussies as opposed to someone who may actually suffer from depression.

Mental illnesses are a serious issue but I don't think it's fair some people use it as a shield to not/do something (which I think is what Rummy was trying to say?) Once again I've kicked down the door and am sitting in the armchair of hypocrisy as I'm using my condition to get back onto a day shift as working nights is making me miserable, when I'm not working I'm sitting around the house being quiet so I don't wake Mummy and Step-Daddy. Although this is on direct medical advice from my neurologist and not just me saying I want it for the sake of wanting it.

17, closer to the average. I win. I think. :awesome:

I'm currently feeling very intolerant (lololololol considering what I mention in the coming out thread) of depressives who make themselves too victimised. Or enjoy becoming a victim. Depression affects each person differently, and obviously I understand and appreciate that it's nobody's fault (my dad is a depressive, I've lived with it, I understand it) - but I'm tired of it. Some people 'like' being all sad and 'the victim', y'know? That annoys me. Many don't and it's sad they feel the way they do without explanation. But right now I can't be around it.

I could never be in a relationship with a depressive - that's a personal choice of mine. It's too hard. Sorry. As much of a shame as it is, it's one of the pieces of advice my mother gave me, and from things I've seen with my own eyes. I couldn't give a depressive the chance. It's a personal thing.

I'm currently feeling very intolerant (lololololol considering what I mention in the coming out thread) of depressives who make themselves too victimised. Or enjoy becoming a victim. Depression affects each person differently, and obviously I understand and appreciate that it's nobody's fault (my dad is a depressive, I've lived with it, I understand it) - but I'm tired of it. Some people 'like' being all sad and 'the victim', y'know? That annoys me. Many don't and it's sad they feel the way they do without explanation. But right now I can't be around it.

I could never be in a relationship with a depressive - that's a personal choice of mine. It's too hard. Sorry. As much of a shame as it is, it's one of the pieces of advice my mother gave me, and from things I've seen with my own eyes. I couldn't give a depressive the chance. It's a personal thing.

Something like that happened to me recently enough. I met a guy out and was with him one night and then was texting him for a few weeks afterwards, but I kinda knew he was a little unstable and was kinda warned about the guy from friends who I just met so I didn't take it too seriously. He was taking medication and stuff for his depression.

he text me randomly one day and told me to stop texting him( we were texting almost every day). I wanted to kill him but merely said fine and said I'd never bother him again. He apologised a few days later I told him I simply didn't want to be friends with him, not to mention anything more.

it's VERY difficult to be in a relationship with a guy like that. I knew it was for the best.

Couldn't handle a person like that at that point, so I think you're decision is the right one. Your own happiness comes first..

Had my appointment with the doctor, had a complete meltdown in her office, it was building in my head since the appointment was booked. She was nice, listened to me, and gave me what I needed. She's not keen to diagnose me so certainly, and is more concerned about dealing with the obvious crisis i'm having. Got a low dose of anti depressants to start on, and a referral to mental health for the long term stuff - ie cognitive therapy to deal with my obsessiveness...

Had my appointment with the doctor, had a complete meltdown in her office, it was building in my head since the appointment was booked. She was nice, listened to me, and gave me what I needed. She's not keen to diagnose me so certainly, and is more concerned about dealing with the obvious crisis i'm having. Got a low dose of anti depressants to start on, and a referral to mental health for the long term stuff - ie cognitive therapy to deal with my obsessiveness...

Awk, sorry to hear you had a bit of breakdown, but sounds like she's on your side. Hope you're feeling on a more even keel soon. :hug:

Aye well it's a start. I feel better for it but need to push past the compulsive fear of talking to human beings and actually speak to my parents about it.

So I've pretty much been avoiding this thread. But I'm glad that you were able to get it out and talk to the doctor R_A!

I got 29 on the test - surprising, at the very least to me. I know I have some serious problems with moods and being introverted, but it's interesting. Not entirely sure what that means, but all I know is I'm improving from a year ago and no longer find myself so angry all the time.

/something

Decided to avoid this thread for a few days.

I've so far specifically only stuck to autism, and argued to extreme points to try and get my point across. Yes, we're diagnosing autism more, and yes that's possibly a good thing, but then again, it surely isn't new, so what happened before?

Mental illness on the other hand, is really quite different, despite their being arguable overlap between my opinions. I won't go into it too much as I'm not keen to get involved in another argument, and the gist of it has been covered; especially by both EEVIL and Paj's last posts. Not what I was saying with my original point about autism(which it seems people decided to jump the gun and assume I was), but with mental illness, there ARE people who use it as a label and an excuse. It belittles it completely, and leads to all manner of other problems.

I got 18 on the test, I guess that's about right. When I was younger I would've scored a lot higher cause I was a really awkward kid lol, but now I'm alright. The reason why I came into this topic though is because for the past 3 years I've just been feeling really unmotivated, apathetic and generally lazy. Most days I can't even be bothered to get out of bed or even play video games which is pretty much my only hobby lol. Does that count as a mental illness or do I just need a kick up the bum?

On the subject of autism, my older bro is autistic but he's a complete asshole. He's always really angry and on edge and incredibly violent, and because of his autism the slightest thing can set him off. I remember one time he wanted to talk to me about some old TV shows he watched as a kid (he's 4 years older than me), I told him I don't really remember anything about them and that I prefer newer shows and he tried to attack me. He also shouts at and attacks my mother who visits him every week cause he doesn't want to stay at a mental house anymore, I've spoken to him many times and told him that the reason why he's in the mental house is cause he's so angry and violent in the first place and they won't let him out until he calms down but he just doesn't listen. He also enjoys taunting other patients & nurses at the care home and winding them up, he's genuinely an unlikeable twat. My parents are afraid of him because they don't know when he'll go on a violent outburst, and for some reason my mother never reports the attacks so he's got it in his head that he can get away with violence. One time he even broke her arm... Anyway I forgot what the point of this post was now but since I've typed it all up I don't feel like deleting it.

tl;dr I hate my autistic brother.

I got 18 on the test, I guess that's about right. When I was younger I would've scored a lot higher cause I was a really awkward kid lol, but now I'm alright. The reason why I came into this topic though is because for the past 3 years I've just been feeling really unmotivated, apathetic and generally lazy. Most days I can't even be bothered to get out of bed or even play video games which is pretty much my only hobby lol. Does that count as a mental illness or do I just need a kick up the bum?

On the subject of autism, my older bro is autistic but he's a complete asshole. He's always really angry and on edge and incredibly violent, and because of his autism the slightest thing can set him off. I remember one time he wanted to talk to me about some old TV shows he watched as a kid (he's 4 years older than me), I told him I don't really remember anything about them and that I prefer newer shows and he tried to attack me. He also shouts at and attacks my mother who visits him every week cause he doesn't want to stay at a mental house anymore, I've spoken to him many times and told him that the reason why he's in the mental house is cause he's so angry and violent in the first place and they won't let him out until he calms down but he just doesn't listen. He also enjoys taunting other patients & nurses at the care home and winding them up, he's genuinely an unlikeable twat. My parents are afraid of him because they don't know when he'll go on a violent outburst, and for some reason my mother never reports the attacks so he's got it in his head that he can get away with violence. One time he even broke her arm... Anyway I forgot what the point of this post was now but since I've typed it all up I don't feel like deleting it.

tl;dr I hate my autistic brother.

A perfect example of my point that, even 'with' autism, your autism could be much worse.

(sorry to hear you have to deal with it though)

I think the way it manifests can be down to the actual persons environment and personality. You can't always blame the autism, because there are assholes on this planet, be it autistic or not.

I took a high score on that test but I'm the complete opposite. Although I have my moments, I'm very generally a nice person and tend to vent my anger at myself or things rather than people.

Just thought I'd clarify that autism <> asshole.

I remember a guy who was very highly autistic in my degree class, it was really interesting hearing about his sense of rage and lashing out throughout his life that he could never really control. He was perpetually frightened of upsetting people as he had often done in the past as he kept speaking his mind in class, even though we all actually loved that he did and we regularly told him so. I'm glad I'm not seriously autistic, I can't imagine the sheer frustration that must come with it.

So i went to the doc again for a review, shes upped my dose of anti depressives. I checked the mental health system at work and they've got my details so hopefully I'll have a letter in the post soon to say im either on a waiting list or for an appointment :)

The anxiety thing is still getting me a bit. Had a shitty day at work, had to make a lot of calls to nurses and got a bit of abuse back (only for doing my job of course) so came home feeling a bit down. But had a cuddle with the cats and felt a bit better!

Was at a comedy gig a few nights ago (patrick kielty!) and that was quite stressful mentally - I enjoyed the gig itself but sitting in a cramped space with a lot of people talking felt like an assault on my senses, got to a point later in the evening where I felt like I was going to hyperventilate :(

I think the way it manifests can be down to the actual persons environment and personality. You can't always blame the autism, because there are assholes on this planet, be it autistic or not.

Where does this statement fall? It seems to imply a certain standpoint on either side, but I wouldn't like to assume, of course.