NEurope

Loving all of the egg love in here. Some fantastic posts! It would take me ages to reply to them all.

Do you put vinegar in the water (with regard to poached eggs)? Apparently that helps keep the egg together.

You can store eggs out of the fridge. What is important is that they maintain a constant temperature. So don't leave them out where the son is likely to catch them, and don't put them in the fridge door.

I don't believe I added vinegar. Interesting, I never knew it helped the eggs that way. I was told by a friend to do the "whirlpool" technique, but my eggs ended up scattered all over the place. Fishing it out of the pan was a tedious task. I then watched his attempt, which resulted in exactly the same way. I've only known one person who could make poached eggs, and that is my Mum. May be worth a phone call!

My mum has a pan which makes poached eggs so that is how I have always done them, ours look similar to this:

byronbaytrading_Egg%20Poacher.JPG

However my gf can make them in a pan by just putting the egg in water (not sure how she does it though....)

That is an awesome piece of apparatus. How expensive are they? Is it really simple to use, or is there still a fair bit of preparation? If it's any good, I may start making poached eggs in the morning.

As others have said, eggs are fine out of the fridge.

When it comes to poaching eggs, there are various different schools of thought. Some people just use egg poachers, which I think is cheating, others (like my mum and apparently Moogle) add vinegar, which in my experience doesn't seem to do much other than make the outside of the egg a bit funny in colour and sometimes taste. Then there's the view that you should create a whirlpool in your pan when adding the egg, and drop it in gently so that the whites furl neatly around the yolk. I've experimented a lot with this method, putting the egg both in the middle and the side of the whirlpool, and this occasionally seems to do something, but often just fails. What seems instead to be the midst important factor is how fresh the egg is, as in fresher eggs most ogre the white is much more glutinous and clings to the yolk far more readily. If the egg is fresh enough then, you can just gently drop it in water and it'll form a nice little poachlet without any extra techniques, and can then be cooked. So I only poach fresh eggs, and save older ones for things like scrambling (which doesn't taste quite as nice, but doesn't cause any problems) and hard boiling (with older eggs being easier to shell, but again are not as nice). There's actually an easy and scientifically supported folk method of determining the freshness of eggs by floating them in water - essentially the more they sink, the fresher they are.

One final issue is how long to poach eggs for, but it seems to me that this values so much depending on your apparatus that it's not really worth giving guidelines, with experimentation working better. Under one approach you heat the water to boiling then put the heat down to lowest, and poach the egg like this for a single minute then take the pan off the heat and leave it to stand for another few minutes. Presumably the goal is a hard white and a soft yolk - this seems to take 5-10 minutes of resting time.

As you can see, my eggs are serious business.

That's the best post I've ever read.

So, providing the egg is fresh enough, you just simply drop it into the pan? No vinegar, no whirlpools, nothing? What kind of witchcraft is this?!

Regarding your last paragraph: What would be the right amount of time after the water has been boiled (and the heat then turned down) for the egg to then be dropped into the pan?

When you talk about testing the freshness of eggs, am I assuming that you are using cold water? If the egg drops straight to the bottom, then it is perfect for poached egg usage?

I'll leave this one to @ReZourceman.

The bread issue is interesting though! Despite our egg habits, we don't keep bread in the fridge.; Do you fridge bread @Fierce_LiNk?

Putting bread in the fridge sounds really bizarre to me. I can't say that I've ever met anybody who has done that. Although, when moving into my Halls of Residence years back, we noticed that the previous occupant had left the contents of the freezer behind. Amongst them were two bottles of frozen milk. ::shrug:

Bread has to go in the fridge in China, it goes mouldy far quicker than stale here - the humidity and heat in Shanghai are murder for food. The ExBitch once left a yoghurt out of the fridge for a few hours in high summer, she ate it and within 4 hours she had gastroenteritis.

Eggs also go into the fridge for the same reason, but I have to admit... I don't like eggs. Something about the flavour and consistency of a fried egg makes me feel like I'm eating plastic human flesh... Weird, I know. But: bleugh.

Not read the whole thread yet but just wanted to say am making a boiled egg for a sandwich right now, yum

EXBITCH! I MISSED SOMETHING SEMINAL!!

Ah... That was the ex-GF, the wife... Is.... Still around...sadly. Really, don't ask.

No need to eggsplain, I shell make no further comment nor yoke about it.

(figured puns were the best way out of the awkward situation, there)

No need to eggsplain' date=' I shell make no further comment nor yoke about it.

(figured puns were the best way out of the awkward situation, there)[/quote']

You could try and eggstract the memory from him. But that might scramble up his brain a little.

(figured puns were the best way out of the awkward situation' date=' there)[/quote']

I reckon you've cracked it. Omletting you deal with these situations in future.

No need to eggsplain' date=' I shell make no further comment nor yoke about it.

(figured puns were the best way out of the awkward situation, there)[/quote']

Awkward is right, I am a shell of my former self and I feel ready to crack. Anyway, I'll stop poaching this thread.

I'm outta here, going to put my favourite albumen my CD player.

Right, bitches. I'm hungry. Using the information from De Grunchen, I'm going to attempt to make some poached eggs.

No whirlpooling. No vinegar. No expectations.

Let's make some eggs!

That is an awesome piece of apparatus. How expensive are they? Is it really simple to use, or is there still a fair bit of preparation? If it's any good, I may start making poached eggs in the morning

Don't know how much my mums was but I just had a quick look on amazon and one is on there for £15. No idea if that is a good price or not though.

Simple, pour water in the pan till it touches the bottom of the 'poachers' crack an egg into a poacher then just put the lid on, just on the heat sit back and in several minutes you will have yourself a poached egg!

I have just had a conversation with my girlfriend though who has stated it is simpler to just put the egg into a pan of boiling water... :/

So I guess it is just whatever you get used 2!

Don't know how much my mums was but I just had a quick look on amazon and one is on there for £15. No idea if that is a good price or not though.

Simple, pour water in the pan till it touches the bottom of the 'poachers' crack an egg into a poacher then just put the lid on, just on the heat sit back and in several minutes you will have yourself a poached egg!

I have just had a conversation with my girlfriend though who has stated it is simpler to just put the egg into a pan of boiling water... :/

So I guess it is just whatever you get used 2!

I may invest in one of these pans. Seems a bit pricey, but I've also seen these "pods" that you can also use. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fusion-Brands-Poachpod-Two-Pack-Silicone/dp/B000P6FD3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344605076&sr=8-1 May go for that and see how it goes.

Right, I've just tried it using the pan and boiling water, nothing else. Results were pretty decent. I used three eggs. One turned out a bit meh (a hard egg yolk with a few thin bites of white hanging off it), but the other two were much better.

601096824529b26e695bb798d88a-5188_456X342.jpg - looked a lot like this.

However, they weren't runny on the inside. Also, due to them being in a pan full of water, when they were taking out, they tasted very watery. I probably should have drained it instead of just fishing them out?

On the whole, not bad at all. I need more practice at it to get it right, but much better than my previous attempts.

I do not like eggs.

Just going to throw that out there.

Come at me.

I do not like eggs.

Come at me.

scaled.php?server=213&filename=originalby.jpg&res=landing

What's wrong with you, dude? :p

They're just icky. I know eating dead animal flesh should be worse, maybe. But eggs are goopy stuff that are part of a chicken sex butt process thing. I like eggs but only when I can manage to not think about what I'm eating.

Well, they're basically chicken periods that we're eating. Yeah, real appetising o_O

Personally, it's a 50-50 thing for me. I do eat eggs, but I also realise there's something quite disgusting about them. The smell, the texture...something's just not right with them.

Well, they're basically chicken periods that we're eating. Yeah, real appetising o_O

At least they're tastier than human periods.

Like Louis C.K. Said about a woman on her period - he doesn't understand why youth of today are so afraid of a woman on a period. I mean, c'mon! You're guarenteed to NOT create a child if you fuck at this time... it just demands a bit more creativity in preserving the bed-sheets.

At least they're tastier than human periods.

Which way have you tried them, fried, boiled or poached?

Like Louis C.K. Said about a woman on her period - he doesn't understand why youth of today are so afraid of a woman on a period. I mean' date=' c'mon! You're guarenteed to NOT create a child if you fuck at this time... [b']it just demands a bit more creativity[/b] in preserving the bed-sheets.

Yeah, like going to a swimming hall..."Oops, did we just dye your whole pool here? Sorry!"

I was reading up about bread because i'm a loser, although keeping bread in the fridge will stop it going mouldy for longer, it actually speeds up the staling process, so you have to make a decision as to whether you want stale bread or non-mouldy bread. However, i think it becomes stale far quicker that it becomes mouldy, so probably best to just get a bread-bin.

Egg-wise, i don't really eat a lot of eggs. In fact, the only eggs i eat nowadays tend to be ones cooked in cakes by my girlfriend. I like scrambled and boiled eggs, but fried eggs i'm not that fussed about.

bread goes in our freezer and is lifted out when its needed :)

Like Louis C.K. Said about a woman on her period - he doesn't understand why youth of today are so afraid of a woman on a period. I mean' date=' c'mon! You're guarenteed to NOT create a child if you fuck at this time... it just demands a bit more creativity in preserving the bed-sheets.[/quote']

Chuck a towel on, who cares about blood being splattered about when you're going to have sex? That's why we have showers/paper towels/rubby hands/etc

Singapore's favourite airhead blogger shows you how to make eggs.

I kind of like eggs, sparingly. I like egg and cress sandwiches. When I was younger I used to only ever eat egg mayonnaise at restaurants and hotels.

I love N-E's ability to turn a simple topic like eggs into an interesting, useful and funny thread.

I miss the pun thread, too.

I generally love eggs in most variants, but my favourite is probably fried egg on toast. Om nom nom nom ...

I do not like eggs.

Come at me.

Solidarity, brother.