N-Europe

London Olympics 2012 - The Costs

Charlie

I posted this on Facebook too but I feel it could bring some discussion to the boards so here it is again...

---

As much as I'm going to enjoy the Olympics this summer, the cost has risen by over 4 times the original budget to £9.3bn (yet they're boasting that it is coming in £476m under-budget).

This is due to costs which were previously "overlooked costs such as VAT, increased security costs". How can they claim they just 'forget' about VAT and security?

The bid was made in 2005, only 4 years after 9/11 and at the height of both the Iraq War and the War on Terror in Afghanistan so security should have been just as big an issue then as it is now and considering they are installing ground-to-air missiles on top of flats in East London I'm assuming security wasn't an overnight thought.

I don't think anything even needs to be said about the VAT 'oversight'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18421211

---

What are your thoughts on the Games in terms of the costs and the economy? Do you think they're a good thing for the UK to be doing? Should the money have been spent elsewhere?

It really depends on if the country makes a huge profit from the Olympics. If it does, and the money can be put into areas other than London, then it will be a good thing.

If not, then it would be dreadful that so much money has gone to a single city.

I don't like that the cost should stop a country for hosting an olympic. It's okay to fun once in a while. Even if it comes with a hangover. Of course within acceptable limits. But a profit shouldn't be required in my opinion, at least not from direct income if you know what I mean. As for the money being better spent elsewhere, are they going to be spent elsewhere? I don't think it works exactly like that. Football halls and tennis courts aren't going to pop up left and right just because you didn't have a big sporting event.

Norway, or Oslo to be spesific, is going to apply for winter olympics for 2022. This comes just four years after Tromsø tried for 2018, but was basically shut down by the same board the agreed for Oslo 2022, not very well recieved way up there of course. I for one, don't care where it is, as long as we have it. I don't live remotely close to either place. But I want it, it would fun.

If money should stop us for having fun we shouldn't have any sporting events and give all money to hospital, education, roads or whatever needs money, so all of us can live good, but very boring lives. Bye bye Wimbledon.

If money should stop us for having fun we shouldn't have any sporting events and give all money to hospital, education, roads or whatever needs money, so all of us can live good, but very boring lives. Bye bye Wimbledon.

If that happened, it would be brilliant.

Besides, a lot of sports are businesses these days. The most they should get from the government is a VAT exemption or similar.

I don't like that the cost should stop a country for hosting an olympic. It's okay to fun once in a while. Even if it comes with a hangover. Of course within acceptable limits. But a profit shouldn't be required in my opinion, at least not from direct income if you know what I mean. As for the money being better spent elsewhere, are they going to be spent elsewhere? I don't think it works exactly like that. Football halls and tennis courts aren't going to pop up left and right just because you didn't have a big sporting event.

For the Olympics we're using Wimbledon which was already built and stadia around the country - no new facilities there.

We're getting a new aquatics centre and a few other places which will be part of the Olympics legacy.

Wimbledon makes a huge profit every single year. I'm not saying that money should stop us having fun, I think you missed my point, I was saying that it's over budget by 4x and no one is batting an eyelid and the Government are trying to claim its under budget.

Athens and Montreal are still suffering because of the Olympics and a lot of the legacy venues rarely get used.

Edited by Charlie

The bid was made in 2005, only 4 years after 9/11 and at the height of both the Iraq War and the War on Terror in Afghanistan so security should have been just as big an issue then as it is now and considering they are installing ground-to-air missiles on top of flats in East London I'm assuming security wasn't an overnight thought.

Speaking of we got an email at work yesterday saying 'many universities, libraries etc have already received hoax terrorist bomb threats. In the event of a hoax or real threat we have taken precautions by...' and then preceded to list how systems are backed up externally etc but didn't say how our safety was being considered. Reassuring.

[/mildly related to thread]

I was unsupportive but not anti-Olympics right up until the point I found that the use by anyone who wasn't an official sponsor of the Olympics using "London 2012" or "Olympic" or related terms was punishable by imprisonment. How the fuck can they portray this as a wonderful chance to boost are economy and international standing after that? Stupid fuckers.

What a waste of tax payers money.

(N.B. My attitude may be explained somewhat if I inform you that I may have been drinking heavily in multiple pubs between finishing work and now...)