NEurope
Retro_Link

Tennis Thread

It was an accident. Obviously he shouldn't have done it but he's now the subject of a Police investigation which is frankly embarrassing. He apologised, he lot the prize money and has been fined. The guy only had a little gash on his shin not a broken leg. The ATP rules need to be changed, you shouldn't have to forfeit the game for that. Now i'm not condoning what he did but i've seen a lot worse in other sports that haven't resulted in someone losing a match.

I think it was probably right he was disqualified, because it just enforces that you can't behave like that. But yeah I also think other sports should keep their players in line too... Joey Barton for example should have been banned for a year or something.

These people are getting paid and competing for fuck loads of money for playing sports... the least they can do is set a good example.

A police investigation in this case however is rediculously over the top!

Had to laugh at Nalbandian's outrage yesterday. It was almost a pure rage-quit. It's pretty funny how he had to go out of his way to kick the board. :p

Game had to stop at that point, so the right call was made. Talk of getting the police involved is stupid. Leave it in the sport. It was dealt with, so I don't see the point in making an even bigger deal of it.

Really hope Laura Robson can pull this match back... she was so good in the first set, but since then Schiavone has got a handle on it and mixed things up to unsettle Laura, combined with Schiavone's time outs.

Break down in the 3rd set, but hope she can make it through.

EDIT: Damn, that was a shame, she almost managed a comeback!

Great match starting soon with Hewitt and Tsonga!

Edited by Retro_Link

I was gutted that Robson lost, I watched most of it online at work. She did so well in the first set but sort of lost it in the second.

She's definitely got a bright future.

Rather commanding performance from Watson at the moment on Court 2. Wasn't expecting it to be so one sided but good on Watson as she's playing well and has taken the first set 6-1.

Got that on BBC1 with the Lisicki match up on the website, which is proving to be a much closer affair going off serve at the moment. Lisicki's service is a bit of a mixed bag at the moment; a few too many double faults but managing to nail aces when she needs them. Her forehand is looking very good though when she gets a chance to pull it out.

As for yesterday's matches, a shame Hewitt went out yesterday but against Tsonga, it was always going to be the case. Sure they mentioned something on the BBC that it may be Hewitt's last Wimbledon. Hope not but then his game has dropped a long way over the last few years and he hasn't been able to keep up with the younger, newer players who've come through. Didn't bother watching Murray play as he just irritates me as a player. Would have been interesting to see Davydenko get the scalp but never mind :laughing:

Yeah Hewitt was my favourite player/who I supported for a long time, but he kinda faded away and then he had that major surgery on his foot last year in an attempt to stay on, but I dunno... he said he basically had to learn to walk properly again (he's got metal plates/screws in there), and considering his pace is what made him the awesome player he was... plus the fact he's not gonna be able to challenge the Top 4/5, maybe he will stop. Shame though as he's a great character/player to have around.

Yeah Murray irritates me aswell.

Might have to go watch the Lisicki game!

One thing I did notice about Laura Robson yesterday is how much I like her game.

Plus a number of ladies make womens tennis look so... well either lame, or ungraceful. Sharapova not only grunts for all she's worth, but she seems to have become incredibly heavy footed and 'clompy' lately. Also when she hits the ball the outcome of it often seems completely random, somethings she doesn't seem all that bothered by.

EDIT:

This Lisicki v Jovanovski match is fantastic...

Come on Lisicki!!!

EDIT:

YES!!!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Wow! Talk about scalps. Nadal out in the 2nd round to Lukas Rosol! :o Unbelievable! Well done to him for stepping up big time there, especially in that last set where he was still hitting aces on his serves.

Had forgotten Nadal was playing but didn't expect to find it still on and him being a break down in the final set. Pretty much speechless over that.

Would love a few more big surprises like that in the Men's draw this year. Almost had a second Brit through with Ward, who played really well but just not quite enough to put aside Fish. If he can keep that up then he's got a bright future.

Yeah that was fucking mental. Nadal, Federal , Djokovic... I don't think anyone was beating that guy tonight!

Rosal played incredible and was like a machine.

The problem for Nadal going into that match was the guy was such an unknown quantity, who had never played like that in his life before (or else people would have noticed and his results would have shown up), that I doubt he and his camp could do any research on the guy.

Can't say I liked him that much though... first player I can remember seeing spitting out there on court.

Sad to see Rafa go out.

The only ones I care about are Ivanovic and Bartoli. Sadly they rarely go far in slams, although Bartoli was good last year. Bartoli is already out, think she was defending quarters too. As for mens, I usually have the semis running on tv(except for Wimbledon this year due to not having the channel) while doing something else then watch the final more closely. Doesn't really matter for me who wins, but I'd like if Federer won Olympics, just because he deserves to win that one. Usually just stick with the finals for women, except for Ivanovic who I watch on streams or Eurosport if possible. But anything that is on Eurosport I have on tv in the background(they only have women outside of slams). And they usually have everything if they want to show it.

Edited by Tales

Interesting day of tennis at Wimbledon. Lisicki through to play Sharapova on Monday, although she was pretty rusty again (serving was much better but too many unforced errors) and Stephens played really well. So that'll be the end of the road for Lisicki, unfortunately.

Federer a set down against Benneteau on Centre at the moment and looking to head for a tie break in the second. He's not playing particularly well. Serving has been poor and he's netted quite a few easy points. Just not looking settled which is unusual. Would certainly be interesting to lose another of the top seeds in the men's draw this early bit I see Federer pulling through this one in 5.

Probably the weirdest, and most uncomfortable, match I've ever watched was the Clijsters v Zvonareva match. Both coming off of injuries but Zvonareva trying to hold back the tears while playing was painful to watch. A shame for her as she wasn't playing that badly but clearly she didn't feel right and called it quits half way through the second set, a set down at the time.

Still, Clijsters going through was good. Genuinely think it'd be nice to see her go a long way (I'd love her to win but I don't see it unfortunately) as this is her last Wimbledon as it's nice to see one of the 'old-hands', if you will, showing the youngsters that she can still play with the best of them.

Hmm, so Federer loses the first two then.

Djokovic lost his first set earlier aswell (not that a four set match for the top players is unusual but), it's interesting to see everyones not having it so easy right now.

Lisicki v Sharapova will be one to watch! Would really love to see Lisicki go through, but yeah even if she had been playing well Sharapova would be tough, but as you say she hasn't been playing that great. *Still fingers crossed*

I'm interested to know why Murray irritates people as a player? He's probably technically the best of the top 4 all round. Nadal has the better Forehand and Djokovic is about as good at the return of serve return of serve but no one touches Murray for his first serve, his two handed back hand and his passing shots and ability to move around the court. Mentally it's obviously a different story completely but on pure technical ability, I don't see how Murray comes across as irritating. All the criticism that is levelled at Murray for why he hasn't taking that Djokovic step yet, it's never down to his technical ability, no one is ever saying he has to go and work on a particular shot, it's all between the ears that he needs to work on.

Edited by Jon

You've hit the nail on the head with regards to why he irritates me as a player. He's a good player, no denying that as he's come on significantly from the first time he played at Wimbledon. But while he has improved technically (although he is still very occasionally lazy in his movement around the court), he's too prone to these mind games and is far too easily frustrated. He can be quite aggressive when things aren't going his way and does at times blame line calls/umpires for his mistakes by mouthing off. It's the attitude more than anything that grinds with me and I think if he sorted that out, he'd be able to beat the top 3 more consistently.

Anyway, he's up against Baghdatis today. That should be a very interesting match, depending on who turns up from both camps. Could be another late night on Centre going to 5 sets but I reckon Murray will take it in 4.

Shame for Benneteau last night. He really needed to win that 4th set tie break because I think everyone knew that once it went to a 5th set, he was done for. Played brilliantly but Federer managed to scrape by. So poor in those first 2 sets, and clearly unhappy about it afterwards, but props to the guy for digging himself out of that hole.

You've hit the nail on the head with regards to why he irritates me as a player. He's a good player, no denying that as he's come on significantly from the first time he played at Wimbledon. But while he has improved technically (although he is still very occasionally lazy in his movement around the court), he's too prone to these mind games and is far too easily frustrated. He can be quite aggressive when things aren't going his way and does at times blame line calls/umpires for his mistakes by mouthing off. It's the attitude more than anything that grinds with me and I think if he sorted that out, he'd be able to beat the top 3 more consistently.

Anyway, he's up against Baghdatis today. That should be a very interesting match, depending on who turns up from both camps. Could be another late night on Centre going to 5 sets but I reckon Murray will take it in 4.

Shame for Benneteau last night. He really needed to win that 4th set tie break because I think everyone knew that once it went to a 5th set, he was done for. Played brilliantly but Federer managed to scrape by. So poor in those first 2 sets, and clearly unhappy about it afterwards, but props to the guy for digging himself out of that hole.

Yeah that can be frustrating but for me personally I do like a bit of emotion, I don't like robot players like Federer but there's a line. Nadal and Djokovic are good examples of where to be, both show plenty of emotion but don't go too far.

In Murray's defence, he's come on a fair bit in that regard since Lendl started coaching him. He'll never completely change as that's in his character but hopefully he can channel it properly.

:yay: YAY LISICKI :yay:

So pleased and happy for her and to see her go through. Love her! :D

She played really well, her serve was much better today and overall just brilliantly took it to Sharapova.

Federer looking a bit in trouble again. The title is surely Djokovic's this year.

Federer looking a bit in trouble again. The title is surely Djokovic's this year.

Or Andy's!

I simply can't see Murray beating Djokovic though.

Why not?

Djokovic has hardly looked great and has had the easier run.

It's important for Murray to try and get through this match quickly, Not being on Centre, he's highly likely to be off for rain. Not what you need when the other guys are able to complete their matches under the roof.

Because I consider Djokovic the better player of the two. I also think he's got greater stamina should the game go 5 sets, as well as being mentally stronger.

Because I consider Djokovic the better player of the two. I also think he's got greater stamina should the game go 5 sets, as well as being mentally stronger.

Murray's beaten him before and only just lost in the Australian Open semi final. People have been talking a lot about Andy Murray's mental strength and attitude but I think it has come on leaps and bounds since he appointed Lendl.

Murray's been playing well and has had a tough draw so far. Djokovic has had it far easier and has still dropped a set. If it were to come to these two in the final, which is very possible, I can see Murray taking it.

:yay: YAY LISICKI :yay:

So pleased and happy for her and to see her go through. Love her! :D

She played really well, her serve was much better today and overall just brilliantly took it to Sharapova.

Much more composed play from Lisicki today; was great to see her smiling a lot on court and just generally looking more relaxed than she has been so far. Really well played. Pretty top class in all regards, serve, fore- and backhand, etc., and just too much for Sharapova who didn't exactly play badly. If she can keep to that level, she'll definitely be in the running this year. Very happy for her though :D

Just seen Clijsters get annihilated on Court 3. Such a shame to go out 6-1 6-1 in her last Wimbledon ever.

Have seen a lot of comments on the BBC's feed complaining that Murray isn't on Centre Court and that those in charge at Wimbledon should have given him the shove over some of the other players because he's British. Ridiculous really. I mean, even Kvitova, the No.1 in the women's draw, got shoved onto 3 and even Serena was on 2. They can't go playing favourites for who plays on what court just because of where they come from, even if the weather is bad.

It shows that that they really need to get a roof on some of the other courts at Wimbledon now. There's been talk for awhile about getting on on Court 1 and nothings happening with that and Court 2 could do with one as well (and would be easier to fit one to than Court 1). Really should have had those in place seeing as they're hosting the Tennis for the Olympics and they really can't have delays there.

For what is worth, I think Kvitova is third. Sharapova is at least ranked 1st followed by Azarenka.

Yeah got mixed up there. She was last year's champion, with Sharapova as you said being first seed and Azarenka second. I've clearly been paying the fullest of attention when it comes to the matches in the Women's draw :indeed: Or at least attending to the wrong things ;)

But I think my point still stands. The complaints that Murray should be on Centre just because he's British are ridiculous as it's an international Grand Slam event. You can't have the organisers favouring certain players because of nationality. And it's not like he was sent to one of the outside courts, still being on 1. ::shrug: Meh, not really a big deal, just something that's annoyed me about the BBC's live feed (other than their new video player which has so far been pretty awful).