NEurope
Retro_Link

Tennis Thread

Not really sure what your point is there. Are you saying that Murray didn't give it his all?

No, Derpenheimer, my point is he lost to a better player. Everybody knocks Murray and says he hasn't got what it takes, well... that's been proven true. He can't beat the best when he needs to. But despite this, he gives his all. That's admirable. That's precisely what a sportsman should do.

The sad thing is, his best isn't good enough to beat the top players consistently. And there is absolutely no shame in that.

When Murray says stuff like

I'll be supporting anyone but England.

(Murray sarcastically responding to columnist Des Kelly who teased Murray about Scotland's absence from the 2006 World Cup. (06/06/06))

We Scots have a fierce pride in the things we do that others can never appreciate. I am the British No. 1, but I would prefer to be the British No. 1 from Scotland every time.

(Speaking with The Times. (16/03/06))

it might irritate English people. It's the above stuff that meant most of my family was rooting for Federer on Sunday.

(Yeah the comments are from a long time ago but it's when public opinion on him was being generated.)

That's a bit unfair. Those are comments made in 2006. People change over time, and he will no doubt have matured since then. He would've been, what, 19 at the time?

Also, there is a problem with this "being British" thing that I think applies to everybody. In football or rugby, you're expected to follow your country, be it England, Scotland, etc. But in tennis, suddenly you're all connected as part of the British Isles.

Naturally, I'd like the home nations to do well in whatever sport. Rugby becomes an issue because my family has roots in England and Wales. But, I can definitely understand his second comment.

I agree that it is unfair, but for people some that I know that's how they think about Murray. A bad first impression that's lasted.

I agree that it is unfair, but for people some that I know that's how they think about Murray. A bad first impression that's lasted.

Without Google, do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know who the first male player ever was to be kicked out of Wimbledon?

And regarding that comment, it was so obviously meant as a joke. It just got blown way out of proportion by the media and taken the wrong way by people.

He was 18 when those comments were made. First impressions are all well and good but it's a little hypocritical when the same impressions weren't applied to Henman. People would be believing he was crazy if what he did on his first time at Wimbledon were any indication.

No, Derpenheimer, my point is he lost to a better player. Everybody knocks Murray and says he hasn't got what it takes, well... that's been proven true. He can't beat the best when he needs to. But despite this, he gives his all. That's admirable. That's precisely what a sportsman should do.

The sad thing is, his best isn't good enough to beat the top players consistently. And there is absolutely no shame in that.

Yes he can. He has beaten the best on many occasions when he has had too. Losing that match at Wimbledon doesn't change that.

Without Google, do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know who the first male player ever was to be kicked out of Wimbledon?

I know who it was. I was actually reading up on this the other day, as well as seeing Xavier Malisse's tantrum from a few years back. (I love it when players lose their shit)

It's Tim Henman. At least in the open era anyway. There might be somebody long before him, but I think he's the first.

It's Tim Henman. At least in the open era anyway. There might be somebody long before him, but I think he's the first.

Yep, and I don't need to say anymore because JonSt made my point for me above.

Yes he can. He has beaten the best on many occasions when he has had too. Losing that match at Wimbledon doesn't change that.

Consistently?

Consistently?

He's beaten Federer on 8 occasions and lost to him on 8 occasions, his record against Djokovic and Nadal isn't quite as good, although his record against the test of the top players like Tsonga, Ferrer and Del Potro is impressive.

He's beaten Federer on 8 occasions and lost to him on 8 occasions, his record against Djokovic and Nadal isn't quite as good, although his record against the test of the top players like Tsonga, Ferrer and Del Potro is impressive.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

He's better than the players worse than him, not as good as the players better than him! :P

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

He's better than the players worse than him, not as good as the players better than him! :P

I like to look at it that he just hasn't been lucky enough to get his victories against the best players when the whole nation is watching. :heh:

I like to look at it that he just hasn't been lucky enough to get his victories against the best players when the whole nation is watching. :heh:

Well, I agree with you there.

My dad used to rip the shit out of Henman back in the day, and I just used to say to him: he's one of the best tennis players in the world. He's never won anything big, but he has made more in his career of mediocre tennis than you ever have out of your career of excellent banking.

Hmm, it would be a bit of an injustice I feel if Murray was to go through his career without winning a slam.

I saw something interesting the other day which did make me think.

Federer beat Mark Philippoussis, Nadal beat Mariano Puerta and Djokovic beat Tsonga to all win their first Grand Slam titles. If Murray had played any of these, his chances of winning would have been vastly higher.

So, he's been unlucky in that respect. If he can get to the final and come up against somebody like Tsonga, he can do it. It's basically the same in football with the Champions League. If Barcelona get knocked out on the way there, it leaves anybody else with a chance.

Hmm, it would be a bit of an injustice I feel if Murray was to go through his career without winning a slam.

I saw something interesting the other day which did make me think.

Federer beat Mark Philippoussis, Nadal beat Mariano Puerta and Djokovic beat Tsonga to all win their first Grand Slam titles. If Murray had played any of these, his chances of winning would have been vastly higher.

So, he's been unlucky in that respect. If he can get to the final and come up against somebody like Tsonga, he can do it. It's basically the same in football with the Champions League. If Barcelona get knocked out on the way there, it leaves anybody else with a chance.

I never knew that and it's a very good point. The belief he would gain from winning one would make it a lot easier for him if he came up against Federer, Djokovic and Nadal in the final. I'm surprised that's not mentioned before, everyone talks about how many the others have won but never who they beat to win the first one.

The US Open started today? Murray is currently 2 sets up against Bogomolov Jr of Russia (previously USA) after a bit of a struggle in the second.

Predictions for the tournament?

Mine are, apart form the obvious players complaining about the scheduling of the semi-finals and Tour in general that crop up every year here, Murray to beat Federer in the semis and then beat Djokovic in the final in 4 sets.

Yep for the first time I'm actually putting Murray as the favourite to win this Grand Slam.

However, I have a feeling Djokovic could be hurting quite a bit due to his beatings of late and want to settle the score... however just as equally his dip in form might continue! Do you think Murray has got someone on the inside switching his gluten free food back! :p

Yep for the first time I'm actually putting Murray as the favourite to win this Grand Slam.

However, I have a feeling Djokovic could be hurting quite a bit due to his beatings of late and want to settle the score... however just as equally his dip in form might continue! Do you think Murray has got someone on the inside switching his gluten free food back! :p

I don't really think you can say Murray is favourite, the fact of the matter is that Federer is number 1 in the world and number 1 seed. Djokovic is 2 and 2. However, I do feel like one of them may slip up earlier on which will mean Murray only needs to play one of them en-route to winning the tournament.

So annoying that the US Open is shown on Sky!

I want to be watching Laura Robson and all these amazing matches of hers! :yay:

Who knows how far she could go?... It turned out to be Maria's year aged 17, [at 18] who's to say Laura couldn't do the same! And I think she's certainly capable of beating Maria if it came down to it!

US Open is also shown on Eurosport and Eurosport International if you've got those channels @Retro_Link

Laura has been absolutely outstanding so far in the tournament beating former Grand Slam winners Kim Clijsters and Li Na. It's ridiculous what a tough draw she has though. In order to win the US Open she'd have to beat Clijsters, Na Li, Stosur, and then most likely Azarenka, Sharapova and S. Williams. Crazy! She's only 18 years old and while others before her have won at an earlier age I'm not sure if she can pull it off in this tournament since the draw seems very tough and Serena is playing on another level than anyone else at the moment it seems. But I truly hope she's going to continue to play like she has so far in this tournament and do it consistently and soon she'll be in top 10 for sure. It's really been a treat to watch her play so well so far I must say. :)

I haven't seen any matches but I've read of her achievements. It surely suggests she's tipped for better things when she's more accomplished!

Laura Robson couldn't keep the high level as in previous matches and made too many unforced errors thus losing the match to Stosur 64 64. Alas US Open is now over for her. I feel she can become a world class player when she's more consistent though and considering her age and that she's only ranked as world's number 89 (until next week) she's had a fantastic tournament. It definitely looks like she has a very bright future ahead of her.

I watched her match last night. She was playing against the defending champion so really wasn't expected to win it.

I thought she put up a very good fight though, especially in the latter part of the 2nd set where she saved 8 match points. I've been watching her for a few years now and she's definitely going to go onto bigger and better things. I can see her being the first female British Grand Slam winner since Virginia Wade in 1977.

She's got all the power, which is such a commodity in the Womens game but her movement is not good enough. It has improved and will surely get better but that's what's holding her back.

She's a big talent (best we've had in a long time) and at her age she is at now, it's the right time to be making the breakthrough.

As for the Mens. I think it's impossible to call. Murray has a very difficult match up next against Raonic, it's a night match but that guy has a rocket arm. I think Murray will do it but it might be a long one. Too many so called experts put stock into previous round performances. How many times have we seen the top guys go 5 sets in one match and then obliterate a seemingly harder opponent in the next round, Federer vs Benneteau springs to mind at Wimbledon.

Federer and Djokovic have looked impressive but they've had easy matches so far. There's a long way to go yet but Murray vs Federer is a mouthwatering semi-final. I don't think they've ever played in a grand slam semi, so it will be new ground for both.

It's gonna be a cracking week of Tennis that's for sure.

Edited by Jon