NEurope
Retro_Link

Nintendo Land

Couldn't it be so that NINTENDO sort of tries to get F-Zero out there into the mainstream, in order for more people to recognise the brand and then buy the actual upcoming F-Zero?

And who's this Takamura guy?

Most of the games look suspiciously 'too' local multiplayery. I don't have people to play games with (until my daughter gets a bit older) I'm no longer a teenager. At least WiiSports could be played as a single player game.

So unless it does have online abilities I can see me not playing half the games.

Whatever happened to single player games...? :(

Phube: Half of the attractions are single player, the other half multi player (with single player modes for at least some of them).

Most games are single player online multiplayer. This local multiplayer is a rarity!

They've said the Zelda game has a single player mode, where you play through it as an archer.

I'm pretty sure all modes have single player. I gotta say fudge the haterz I like the look of this.

That right there is like a 3D Four Swords, I've read it has some depth with multiple levels and bosses.

Never mind, delete please :)

Edited by markderoos
Never mind, delete please :)

Isn't it pretty much guaranteed that this will come with the system?

Otherwise it would defeat the whole purpose of showing what kind of innovative things one can do with the Pad, unless the WiiU also has build in stuff, or NINTENDO decides to build these games into the system.

Wii Sports was such a simple concept, easy to pick up, accessible to all etc, this game seems a bit of a mess, and with lots of explaining to do, but I guess it's a little less casual than the equivalent on the Wii

Wii Sports was such a simple concept, easy to pick up, accessible to all etc, this game seems a bit of a mess, and with lots of explaining to do, but I guess it's a little less casual than the equivalent on the Wii

Yeah, it doesn't really have the same accessibility as Wii Sports.

I would argue that their entire "idea" of what the WiiU will do isn't as great as the Wii. When that original montage was shown of the controller, with gamers holding the Wiimote like a tennis racket, like a gun, like a torch, it was obvious instantly what you could do with it. It doesn't seem as obvious with the WiiU, particularly when they've already had a dual-screened handheld out for some time.

Yeah, it doesn't really have the same accessibility as Wii Sports.

I would argue that their entire "idea" of what the WiiU will do isn't as great as the Wii. When that original montage was shown of the controller, with gamers holding the Wiimote like a tennis racket, like a gun, like a torch, it was obvious instantly what you could do with it. It doesn't seem as obvious with the WiiU, particularly when they've already had a dual-screened handheld out for some time.

Yeah totally agree. The Wii was a genius idea, they struck gold there. Much tougher to make the Wii U look good

Motion control was a brilliant idea. I'm not saying I like it, because I don't, but it was a brilliant idea. It was always clear what the purpose of it was. Supposedly Nintendo's motion control technology started as a peripheral for the GameCube. Obviously, it launched with a new console instead, but the point is it was always going to emerge as a way to offer new experiences like Wii Sports. And remember, it was designed without the Nunchuk. The Wii Remote itself is a very pure, focused controller. I often wish it had stayed that way, so that the need to retain traditional controls as well had become more clear.

The concern I have with the Wii U is that Nintendo seems to think they need a new gimmick every time. If they keep going this way, we'll need a different controller to play every different Zelda.

Would it not be better if the Wii U was simply a powerful new console, packaged with both an updated version of the GameCube controller and an updated version of MotionPlus? (Might even be cheaper than the Wii U GamePad too.) That way, developers would know everyone has both. Motion controls could still be used for family games and traditional controls could still be used for Mario, Metroid and Zelda.

Just a thought, but that would seem preferable to me.

No. We need Nintendo doing what they're doing, so you want all three console makers to do EXACTLY THE SAME THING? We may not like it, but it is absolutely vital for the industry that Nintendo keeps trying to offer new experiences, challenge developers and audiences, the industry got so stale after the ps2/cube cycle, the DS and Wii completely reinvigorated the market. I applaud Nintendo for keeping on doing it. Or at least trying to.

No. We need Nintendo doing what they're doing, so you want all three console makers to do EXACTLY THE SAME THING? We may not like it, but it is absolutely vital for the industry that Nintendo keeps trying to offer new experiences, challenge developers and audiences, the industry got so stale after the ps2/cube cycle, the DS and Wii completely reinvigorated the market. I applaud Nintendo for keeping on doing it. Or at least trying to.

No, I don't want three manufacturers at all. Even if Nintendo's console was the same as Microsoft's and Sony's, it would still be the only one that played Nintendo games and that would be enough of a difference.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are like that for a reason - that is the best form for a console. Nintendo have been forced to differentiate - not necessarily because it's a good thing but because it was perhaps the only way to keep in the market. As it stands, though, it looks like they are going to innovate every generation whether there's a good reason to or not.

No, I don't want three manufacturers at all. Even if Nintendo's console was the same as Microsoft's and Sony's, it would still be the only one that played Nintendo games and that would be enough of a difference.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are like that for a reason - that is the best form for a console. Nintendo have been forced to differentiate - not necessarily because it's a good thing but because it was perhaps the only way to keep in the market. As it stands, though, it looks like they are going to innovate every generation whether there's a good reason to or not.

Yeah they are like that for a reason, but not the reason you think, but because they don't really have the innovation (or Desire?) to try and innovate, create new experiences, they're playing Hollywood while Nintendo are trying to offer new experiences. Will it all work? Probably not, but they must keep trying. The wii will go down in history as the first real mainstream gaming device that moved the industry up anther level.

Not one of those videos does anything for me. Not the slightest hint of an erection, not even a faint spasm.

Nintendo are consistently great innovators in hardware and those who call their innovations 'gimmicks' are eventually proved wrong. However, I genuinely think WiiU is all confused. Is it innovative? I'm not entirely sure, but its certainly not mass market and definitely not as organic or natural as Wii. I do think the GamePad has some great features and could prove useful in core titles; but for casual experiences - like Nintendo Land? I think its going to struggle to prove its worth in the home, tablet prices will be collapsing over the next 12 months and, as much as Nintendo point out the differences, people will buy into these rather than WiiU. Its main innovation, asymetric gameplay, isn't that great of a deal and its not going to sell to Soccer Mom. It honestly isn't.

Yet, Nintendo's emphasizing a casual line up including Nintendo Land? And that'll instantly piss the core off who will turn back to their Xboxes.

Not one of those videos does anything for me. Not the slightest hint of an erection, not even a faint spasm.

Nintendo are consistently great innovators in hardware and those who call their innovations 'gimmicks' are eventually proved wrong. However, I genuinely think WiiU is all confused. Is it innovative? I'm not entirely sure, but its certainly not mass market and definitely not as organic or natural as Wii. I do think the GamePad has some great features and could prove useful in core titles; but for casual experiences - like Nintendo Land? I think its going to struggle to prove its worth in the home, tablet prices will be collapsing over the next 12 months and, as much as Nintendo point out the differences, people will buy into these rather than WiiU. Its main innovation, asymetric gameplay, isn't that great of a deal and its not going to sell to Soccer Mom. It honestly isn't.

Yet, Nintendo's emphasizing a casual line up including Nintendo Land? And that'll instantly piss the core off who will turn back to their Xboxes.

NOTHING will ever have the same impact on the casuals as Wii Sports did (never say never? Fuck that!); but I think this is a little more subtle in it's appeal; I think families helping they kids out on mario and rayman and such is a nice idea. I think something like Nintendoland WILL appeal to these people but not BECAUSE of the gamepad (but what makes that game amazing surel is).

However, I think the really appeal of the Wii U for the casual market is the gamepad actually. the ability to play games on the screen without the tele will be extremely appealing to families. All the multimedia functionality that will work on the tele and the pad will be very appealing. It's a cheap tablet and a home console device, that's going to get a lot of customers.

It's the core gamers I think the system struggles with. Hopefully time will prove that one wrong.

but I think this is a little more subtle in it's appeal

I think its far from subtle; it screaming and shouting 'i'm casual, look at me, i'm casual'. They're trying too hard to make it appeal to that WiiSports audience; its just desperate. I can't see it appealing to them, and its a dangerous proposition when you've stated you're wanting the 'core gamer' back.

I think families helping they kids out on mario and rayman and such is a nice idea. I think something like Nintendoland WILL appeal to these people but not BECAUSE of the gamepad (but what makes that game amazing surel is).

You know, if its bundled in with the machine it'll get some attention; a couple of play-throughs in the same way as WiiPlay did. Sure, there's more content and more to do but i can see it getting monotonous pretty quickly.

However, I think the really appeal of the Wii U for the casual market is the gamepad actually. the ability to play games on the screen without the tele will be extremely appealing to families. All the multimedia functionality that will work on the tele and the pad will be very appealing. It's a cheap tablet and a home console device, that's going to get a lot of customers.

The casual market will be lapping up subsidised Android tablets for $150/£200 from next month - why the heck are they going to bother with WiiU? In their eyes, they can pay £200 for a WiiU and get fleeced £40 per game, or £200 for a mainstream tablet and pay a couple of quid for a game? To a casual player I'd argue that the latter is an attractive proposition.

It's the core gamers I think the system struggles with. Hopefully time will prove that one wrong.

Absolutely right. Core gamers will turn their backs on WiiU if it doesn't get exclusive core titles well before the release of XBox 720/PS4. And without that lucrative casual market Nintendo are left with their die-hard fans like you and I Dazzy.

@david\.dakota I just don;'t know how you can judge Nintendoland so fiercely when a. you've never played it b. everyone who has played says it's brilliant c. only half of the games for it have been announced

Also, you compare it to Wii Play, but the games sound way more complex than those games. Do you really not look at the Luigi game and the Animal Crossing game and think they sound great?!

The most significant takeaway with Nintendoland at E3 is that it does seem to have the Wii Sports effect on those who actually tried it at the event. Every preview has been glowing, with outlets stating how the game made them finally "get" the Wii U concept.

The big problem Nintendo face however is that unlike Wii Sports, the way you play and the experience isn't immediately obvious to the expanded audience. Much like the Wii U console itself, it is immediately confusing and even a bit intimidating.

Trial will be the biggest way of selling this game/console and to that end, having Nintendoland as a pack-in is the best way to ensure that anyone buying the Wii U has a chance to make this their first game and get a proper understanding of the asymmetric gameplay concept. I don't think it would be able to sell on its own; not because the game isn't good enough, but because it's confusing at first glance and your average consumer as well as so called "core gamers" are likely to dismiss it upon first impression.

Judging by their terrible, slapdash presentation of the game at E3, I wouldn't hold out much hope for it generating much interest purely by advertising. It's all about word of mouth and hands on experience at the POS.