N-Europe

Tales of Xillia 2

Emerald Emblem

Today was the first day of the 2012 Tales of Festival, and with it brought news of the official title for the next game in the series: Tales of Xillia 2.

The sequel will take place one year after the original game's ending. The trailer released at the event showed off the game's main character, Ludgar, his cast Lulu and a little girl named Elle who's supposed to be crucial to the game's story. It isn't known yet if she's playable in the dual main character fashion that Xillia utilized, however.

Similar to Final Fantasy XIII-2, Tales of Xillia 2 features a new system that lets you make key choices in the game using the L1 or R1 button during specific scenes in the game. One example in the trailer had you choosing whether to use tomatoes in a recipie (Elle seems to hate them), while another would make the difference between fighting an enemy or backing off.

As far as the battle system is concerned, Xillia 2 features the XDR LMBS, otherwise known as the "Cross Double Raid Linear Motion Battle System". It's very similar to the original's system except for the addition of Ludgar being able to switch his weapons similar to the A/B Arte split in Tales of Graces f. In Xillia 2 this allows him to shift between different weapons including a hammer, dual pistols and dual swords. It's currently unknown if this only applies to him or if other characters in the game will have the same ability.

As with the original, ufotable will be handling the game's animated cutscenes and artist Ayumi Hamasaki will have the honor of performing the official theme song. Currently, the official website states a Winter 2012 release date but Namco Bandai announced at the event that on June 27 they will announce a specific date and price for the sequel.

Of course, with any new Tales game there is new merchandise and Tales of Xillia 2 is no exception in that regard. Some may remember that Tales of Xillia had a special edition PS3 last year. For those who picked that up, Namco Bandai has a new special edition PS3 Tales of Xillia 2 controller that matches the design of the console. Special Lalabit and Famitsu bundles were also announced albiet without any specific mention of either of their contents. Of course, the food, goods, etc. tie-ins we saw from the original game's release will return full-force again for the sequel.

Source: Tales Union

After watching the trailer all I have to say about the battle system is...

... Tales of Devil May Cry? :p

I like how you can switch between guns and blades but its done in such a way that a comparison between it and DMC - at elast where combat is concerned - is unavoidable, I do like it though.

However I guess it's all pretty immaterial for us Europeans as we didn't see the first game so I'm assuming we won't see this one because if we were getting it then they'd need to release the first one surely?

Ah well... if enough people purchase the day 1 edition of Tales of Graces F then maybe. ::shrug:

• 2 years later...

Ordered and paid for! ;)

But just the Day 1 edition, there's no way that I'm going for the collector's edition for this one as the Ludger Kresnik figure, pocket watch compact and Rollo Metal case clearly isn't aimed at me nor is it appealing. :p

For the first game the Milla Maxwell edition was different because the figure that came with it was pretty damn good. :D

In any case the Day 1 edition seems to come in a steelbook case at no extra cost so that's a win in my book : peace:

Now I just need to start Tales of Xillia again and finish it. :blank:

Ordered and paid for! ;)

But just the Day 1 edition, there's no way that I'm going for the collector's edition for this one as the Ludger Kresnik figure, pocket watch compact and Rollo Metal case clearly isn't aimed at me nor is it appealing. :p

For the first game the Milla Maxwell edition was different because the figure that came with it was pretty damn good. :D

In any case the Day 1 edition seems to come in a steelbook case at no extra cost so that's a win in my book : peace:

Same here. ALL of it.

Ordered and paid for! ;)

Do you have much left of it?

Yeah, I bought the day one edition too, with the metal case. Not paying twice for the game just for figurine :p I hope the metal case fits this time though. The first one came with a paper box as well, with the game, artbook and cd inside that. I couldn't fit the paper box inside the metal case, rendering either the paperbox or the metal case useless and taking up extra space.

Well it arrived yesterday at my parents but not before my little brother came over so I picked it up today, turns out I wasn't as near the end of the first game as I thought. I might just turn the difficulty down to get the game finished ASAP.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

I gave up on Xillia 1 because it couldn't live up to Vesperia/Symphonia, let me know if this one significantly improves on the first one.

I think the combat system in Xillia is way better than Symphonia to be honest. Storyline... meeeh not so much, but they all blend into one another now.

GamesTM have said that Xillia 2 is better than Vesperia (which I can't quite remember how that went as it's been several years since I played it. Tried playing it again but then something else came out) so this should be interesting.

Arrived last night, now time to boot this baby up.

How have peeps been finding this game? I've been enjoying it on the whole, but it seems they've gone and made some things more confusing for the sake of it. Turning the Allium Orbs into Lilium Orbs and the constant switching.

I was hoping that they wouldn't reuse too many of the previous environments a lá Dawn of The New World but it seems they are. It's bothering me less though as it's been awhile since I played the first Xillia, whereas when I got the Symphonia collection I played them back to back.

How have peeps been finding this game? I've been enjoying it on the whole, but it seems they've gone and made some things more confusing for the sake of it. Turning the Allium Orbs into Lilium Orbs and the constant switching.

I was hoping that they wouldn't reuse too many of the previous environments a lá Dawn of The New World but it seems they are. It's bothering me less though as it's been awhile since I played the first Xillia, whereas when I got the Symphonia collection I played them back to back.

I didn't like it very much in the beginning. I hate mute leads. It just makes for bad and sometimes awkward storytelling and I don't feel connected to him! Don't really like the use of guns(guns maybe a little) and hammer either. I just stick with the blades unless the boss is resistant to them.

I expected more new characters. I honestly didn't think they were going to do the same mistake as DotNW. Either use all the previous characters to contine the grand adventure, or start completely fresh in my opinion.

Still, I'm 16 hours and in chapter 8 in so that's something. The character episodes are nice and there have been a some good skits. Ludger transformation is a lot fun too. Right now I think I'm re-exploring the last parts of the world, then to finish of this chapter sidequest and then move on the next chapter. First I think I should try to finish FFXIV's main story before the free subscription runs out though.

I didn't like it very much in the beginning. I hate mute leads. It just makes for bad and sometimes awkward storytelling and I don't feel connected to him! Don't really like the use of guns(guns maybe a little) and hammer either. I just stick with the blades unless the boss is resistant to them.

I agree, especially in a Tales game. It somehow feels worse that he still talks in one word answers occasionally, or even when it's a couple of seconds of uncomfortable... I suppose grunting is the word? It's like the voice actor charged per word and they told him to bollocks. It doesn't make me feel connected to him either and the multiple choices half of the time feel completely cosmetic instead of game-vein-changing.

I'm still on the fence about the weapons, but I'm at a point where I need the guns and hammer to beat enemies. The hammer is too slow and the guns feel so inpersonal - I like to get all up in their grill and speed attack them.

I expected more new characters. I honestly didn't think they were going to do the same mistake as DotNW. Either use all the previous characters to contine the grand adventure, or start completely fresh in my opinion.

I'm on the fence again on this. It feels a bit of a cop out keeping the original characters around all the time but it does feel a lot better that they can level up and be customized far more than them coming and going and having to rely on random monsters who add nothing to the story as Dawn Of The New World did.

Still, I'm 16 hours and in chapter 8 in so that's something. The character episodes are nice and there have been a some good skits. Ludger transformation is a lot fun too. Right now I think I'm re-exploring the last parts of the world, then to finish of this chapter sidequest and then move on the next chapter. First I think I should try to finish FFXIV's main story before the free subscription runs out though.

How far is Chapter 8? Not sure on my chapter but I've just got Milla back.

I'm on chapter 6 and so far I can understand your disappointments, but so far I am quite enjoying it as an experience. Whilst these sequels/Spin Offs do things differently and worse in some respects there are things I do like that make them different from a main new Tales game. Weirdly like collecting the cats and sending them out to get rare drops.

Weirdly like collecting the cats and sending them out to get rare drops.

I feels. I feels the disappointment when they don't come back with what I want. So they get their kitty arse back out there!

Seriously though, rare items like carrots and onions? You used to be able to buy this stuff wholesale. Which is really weird because cooking was usually a big part of the Tales world, and considering Ludger is meant to be an awesome cook it's a shame to see it take a massive backseat, even with its own button shortcut.