N-Europe

RIP Robin Gibb

MoogleViper

One of the best British songwriters has passed away from cancer.

British-born Gibb, 62, had been battling colon and liver cancer.

Gibb's musical career began when he formed the Bee Gees with his brothers Barry and Maurice in 1958.

The group is among the biggest-selling groups of all time with hits spanning six decades including Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Massachusetts and Night Fever.

In a statement, Gibb's family said they were announcing his death with "great sadness".

Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini described the singer as "one of the major figures in the history of British music".

The Beegees notched up record sales of more than 200 million since their first hits in the 1960s.

'Monumental accomplishments'

"Everyone should be aware that the Bee Gees are second only to Lennon and McCartney as the most successful songwriting unit in British popular music," said Gambaccini.

"Their accomplishments have been monumental.

"Not only have they written their own number one hits, but they wrote huge hit records for Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Celine Dion, Destiny's Child, Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, the list goes on and on.

"What must also be said is Robin had one of the best white soul voices ever. He was singing lead on his first number one when he was 17, that was Massachusetts."

'With sadness'

Gibb's family said in a statement: "The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery.

"The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time."

Gibb's twin brother and band partner Maurice died in 2003 at the age of 53 following complications from a twisted intestine.

Last month, the singer fell into a coma after contracting pneumonia but a week later he regained consciousness.

Gibb's son Robin-John said at the time: "They (doctors) gave him an under 10% survival chance and he has beaten the odds... he really is something else."

The singer was diagnosed with cancer of the colon after having surgery on his bowel 18 months ago for an unrelated condition.

He was later diagnosed with cancer of the liver, and underwent chemotherapy and surgery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18140862

I thought he had made some sort of improvement last I heard.

Yeah, when stacking the supplements at work I saw first he was bad, then it was in remission, then it came back and he blamed karma since he was so successful as a musician*, but he did do some nice work.

I shall play Chain Reaction in his memory.

*I'm not kidding.

Yeah, when stacking the supplements at work I saw first he was bad, then it was in remission, then it came back and he blamed karma since he was so successful as a musician*, but he did do some nice work.

I shall play Chain Reaction in his memory.

*I'm not kidding.

I don't blame you, it is a great song. It's funny really, there arn't many songs that people know from the 60's that are still being sung today and are that popular still.