NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

Raising the next generation of Geeks.

I've spent a lot of today watching streaming panels from PAX East and have for the most part been fascinated by them but the next one really is interesting starts at midnight GMT:

http://us.gamespot.com/features/live-panels-from-pax-east-2012-6370326/

It's all about the decisions you would make to impart your geekiness on your kids if you choose to lol. They describe it much better than I do:

Raising the Next Generation of Geeks

Should you let your toddler play Skyrim? What’s the best way to introduce your child to RPGs? How do you handle it when your kid doesn’t want to play a game because he thinks he’ll lose? What do you say if your daughter says she likes “Twilight” more than “Buffy?” These questions and many more will be discussed by writers for GeekDad.com, GeekMom.com, and geek parents in the audience. Come share your stories and advice for how to ensure our kids grow up to be geeks like us! Don’t have kids? Show up and find out what may be in store for you if you ever do!

PANELISTS:

Matt Blum [Managing Editor, GeekDad.com], Corrina Lawson [senior Editor, GeekMom.com], Rebecca Angel [Core Contributor, GeekMom.com], Doug Cornelius [Contributor, GeekDad.com], Curtis Silver [Core Contributor, GeekDad.com], Nicole Wakelin [Core Contributor, GeekMom.com]

It really freaks me out that like... my first Mario games were the first 3 on the NES (kind of simultaneously)... and for a lot of kids, there first Mario game might be Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario 3D Land or something. Kids are growing up now who've always known Mario and Sonic star in games together.

It really freaks me out that like... my first Mario games were the first 3 on the NES (kind of simultaneously)... and for a lot of kids, there first Mario game might be Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario 3D Land or something. Kids are growing up now who've always known Mario and Sonic star in games together.

Yes it's very strange. It's like how to kids Star Wars IS the Clone Wars cartoons...lightsaber duels don't have the sense of wonder they did in the original trilogy and they are all over the shop.

EDIT:

How ironic they started off with a conversation about what order to watch Star Wars in...I seem to remember someone (me) started a thread about this a long time ago lol,

Here it is:

http://www.n-europeforums.com/showthread.php?t=28445

Edited by flameboy

What do you say if your daughter says she likes “Twilight” more than “Buffy?”

Uh, respect her opinion and move on? I don't get it, is it just dedicated to elitist faggots who gave birth to some kids because they ran out of trivial shit to argue about on message boards?

Such a case of Get over yourself.

Is it though? Like the people on this panel are all games or geek based journalists so that's there trade so to speak. How's it any different from family businesses passing on the trade of carpentry?

I think it's in our nature to leave our marker on our children. If geeky is your thing then why not pass it on? I think it's inevitable in some respects now that all kids born are digital natives so they are born within this culture making it easier to be part of than ever, they no longer live in the isolation that is their home/school life.

Personally I'm not sure I would have any intention of forcing my gaming habits on them but if they take an interest then great. I'd love my kids to really engage in gaming but I'm also just as prepared that my "office" space will always remain a strange place no one else ventures into lol.

How do you handle it when your kid doesn’t want to play a game because he thinks he’ll lose?

Tell him no dinner until he completes at least one level in Chemical Plant Zone without drowning.

The idea of manipulating your kid into a pointless subculture so you can allay your own insecurities is heinous. Having a set design for the shape of your childs life, is what's going to ruin it.

I don't understand how any of this is any different to normal parenting... Or is what this REALLY is parenting skills in a context that geeks can understand.

And I totally agree with Bard.

Oh and I just want to point out how fitting it is that chairdriver is point out that they should get over themselves.

Just to point out though that although I find that fact that to my children Mario Galaxy 2 will be a retro game, I'm not going to consciously mold them into any sort of interest.

My dad loves Cricket and Golf but I've never been interested in it at all, but he never forced it on me and for that I really thank him.

If I ever have kids I wouldnt force them to do any of the stuff I like but I would try and make an effort to include them initially. Take them to a Liverpool game or play video games with me. The reason im so into sci-fi is because I would sit and watch Star Trek and Blake's 7 as a kid with my mum or going to football games with my dad. To be honest its a shame I didnt end up doing more of that with them both as I dont have a lot in common with my parents these days so a lot of the time they tend to veer towards my sister instead.

If you're going to take the clunge plunge unprotected, you had better be mature enough to accept your kid may not actually give a shit about Star Wars or anything with the word Nintendo on it.

My son better like The Simpson's otherwise I'll roll him up in a carpet and throw him off a bridge!

My son better like The Simpson's otherwise I'll roll him up in a carpet and throw him off a bridge!

But what if he prefers the later episodes over the classic ones? WHAT THEN? :p

I think that would be worse than your child not being interested in video games at all. They love video games, but they refuse to play any of the classics.

"Dad, why would I play Super Mario Bros. 3 when I could be playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii U? That has much better graphics and co-op!"

"Ocarina of Time? More like Ocarina of Terrible Graphics!" (Kids aren't very good at insults.)

I'd feel so old.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with introducing your kids to video game, its no different from introducing them to movies, television, music, or any other media. There's nothing wrong with showing them your favorite games, just like you might show them your favorite movie. However, trying to force children to enjoy anything, especially forcing them into an entire subculture is where you need to draw the line. Forcing a child to be a geek when they don't want to is nearly as bad as forcing them to take part in a particular religion. As much as a parent might want their child to take after them, it's their life, and their decision what to make of it.

My dad loves Cricket and Golf but I've never been interested in it at all, but he never forced it on me and for that I really thank him.

I agree (of course) - though in my case, I kinda wish my dad had tried a bit harder/bothered more when I was young, just to see if I was interested in some thing he liked. I mean I don't like Golf now and I don't think that would've changed, but he never tried to teach me how to play guitar, or even see if I was interested. Now I wish I had been more...shown stuff like that. He never taught me to play chess or anything else he likes.

As long as they reach the conclusion that respecting your children's opinion is more important, I think this is healthy. If they don't...I make chairdriver's words my own.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with trying to have your child share your interests, but it shouldn't be a goal, if it doesn't work, you don't push it.

Out of interest, who here actually watched the panel? I've tried looking online but I've only found stuff from day 1 so far.

Surely this was done in jest and with humour rather than making it out to be a serious problem in the world that needs addressing or should be actioned upon?

If not, then I'd probably agree with a lot of the comments , which will probably start to echo the gender neutrality thread of forcing a child down a route... knowing or unknowningly.

But what if he prefers the later episodes over the classic ones? WHAT THEN? :p

I think that would be worse than your child not being interested in video games at all. They love video games, but they refuse to play any of the classics.

"Dad, why would I play Super Mario Bros. 3 when I could be playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii U? That has much better graphics and co-op!"

"Ocarina of Time? More like Ocarina of Terrible Graphics!" (Kids aren't very good at insults.)

I'd feel so old.

That wouldn't happen. There'd be Super Mario 64 Holographic HD 3D edition and Ocarina of Time Virtual Reality Remake.

They'll still play all the classics :p

That wouldn't happen. There'd be Super Mario 64 Holographic HD 3D edition and Ocarina of Time Virtual Reality Remake.

They'll still play all the classics :p

That's a good point. Thank God the gaming companies are always releasing remakes of their old classics. It's nice that someone's thinking of the children. :smile:

Of course, we'd still find things to complain about in the versions they play. :p

Out of interest, who here actually watched the panel? I've tried looking online but I've only found stuff from day 1 so far.

Surely this was done in jest and with humour rather than making it out to be a serious problem in the world that needs addressing or should be actioned upon?

If not, then I'd probably agree with a lot of the comments , which will probably start to echo the gender neutrality thread of forcing a child down a route... knowing or unknowningly.

Yeah I actually watched it. It was in jest the statements like what do you do if your kid likes twilight. It was more them discussing things their own kids had picked up and the fascination that comes from children growing up in a very different age to what they did (The Digital Age) and then they had a Q&A where people were asking like "my kid has shown an interest in playing the wii but I'm struggling to find games that both engage them and they can actually play" or like "my son's behind on their reading age but is great on the ipad can you recommend some reading apps". There were people who were like my kid loves batman what other things should I try out. It was certainly with a sense of leaving kids to explore and just helping them find what they like by showing them what's out there. Whether they actually need this help is another thing...

I'm gutted I fell asleep in the gap between this one and the next which was where people brought in their old retro collectables antiques roadshow style for valuation.

Yeah I actually watched it. It was in jest the statements like what do you do if your kid likes twilight. It was more them discussing things their own kids had picked up and the fascination that comes from children growing up in a very different age to what they did (The Digital Age) and then they had a Q&A where people were asking like "my kid has shown an interest in playing the wii but I'm struggling to find games that both engage them and they can actually play" or like "my son's behind on their reading age but is great on the ipad can you recommend some reading apps". There were people who were like my kid loves batman what other things should I try out. It was certainly with a sense of leaving kids to explore and just helping them find what they like by showing them what's out there. Whether they actually need this help is another thing...

I'm gutted I fell asleep in the gap between this one and the next which was where people brought in their old retro collectables antiques roadshow style for valuation.

It actually sounds rather interesting and with a healthy dollop of humour to boot - might have to try a second hunt for it now there has been a bit more time. Also confirms that the posts above complaining about the talk, and it's notion, didn't choose to watch it before casting an opinion on the thing.

Get over yourself indeed.

It actually sounds rather interesting and with a healthy dollop of humour to boot - might have to try a second hunt for it now there has been a bit more time. Also confirms that the posts above complaining about the talk, and it's notion, didn't choose to watch it before casting an opinion on the thing.

Get over yourself indeed.

Haha yeah....the humour did somewhat die down as the Q&A progresses but it was still a good watch. Have a look at wireds GeekDad or geekmom.com as some of them featured.

Sign in to follow this