N-Europe

Car + iPod = ?

nightwolf

So I've got a Ford Fiesta zetec (55 plate) and wanted to put my iPod in my car.

Most people will know I do a lot of driving, to my parents and back it's about 350 miles and I do about 40 miles to and from work each day, so I listen to a lot of music in my car.

I've used one of those plug into your iPod things and whilst they do the job they have interference noises and it generally is annoying to use your iPod to change the song.

I got told I could easily plug my iPod into my car through wires somehow, but I'm not very knowledgeable. So my question is does anybody know who I could go to about it? I was thinking maybe somewhere like Halfords would do it, but I'm not sure and definitely not sure how much they'd charge.

Helpy.

You could buy a stereo with either a USB socket or a 3.5mm aux in. You'd be looking at around £40 to £100 for the player. They're pretty easy to fit. You'd also need a double din kit like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-MK6-7-CAR-DASHBOARD-RADIO-STEREO-TRIM-KIT-/250867430760?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a68dd3568#ht_1570wt_1199

Here's a guide to removing your current stereo http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=69 One thing it doesn't mention is that you should first disconnect the negative battery terminal to prevent blowing a fuse.

Edited by MoogleViper

Fuuuu- that looks like something that I could make a mess on, although at least it's do-able..

Heh, any ideas who could do it for me? :P

Any local garage, as well as places like Halfords and Kwik Fit.

It's not that hard to do as you just attach the Ford to ISO leads that come supplied with the double din kit.

half of my dashboard has to be taken apart to do mine!

Yeah some cars are a nightmare. Newer cars are far harder to work on than older cars. I think they make them that way on purpose so you have to go to the garage to get it done.

the old yaris models are just an arse with the dash. They have round wheel/spoke style vents so you can fit nothing onto them (as opposed to traditional square vertical vents).. and the fan controls have to be taken off (easily lost) then the entire control part of the dash removed just to get a cd player unit in!

go to ford...

seriously it will otherwise be a ball ache! I have an 08 Zetec S (same mark fiesta as yours) and i'd assume you have the on steering column controls for the stereo. If you get an aftermarket stereo which has USB it will most likely not be controlled through the ford on steering column controls, so you'll be changing tracks on the head unit...

which considering (like me) you find it a pain in the ass going for something away from the wheel to change tracks, having to go to a head unit is the same as the Ipod

For may be able to do it for you so it all works, either way its worth asking if they can and how much, they are surely going to be at the top end of the costs, plus you won't be dismantling half the dash, and the dash is a pain in the ass to dismantle on an Mk6 fiesta

if you don't have the steering controls then go with mooglevipers ideas.

I keep meaning to have mine done, but i'm waiting until i can change to a DAB radio at the same time

funny really i was thinking of this the other day but decided i may get a combined holder/charger/radio transmitter in the mean time ( a bloke at my work has one and managed to get it clipped next to his steering wheel

I don't unfortunately, my car is 2005, so there's nothing on the steering wheel. I don't mind changing tracks as long as it's on my dash and not my iPod which is either on my seat or in my cup holder. It's a bit annoying.

There's a Halfords and Kwik fit on the way to work, I might see how much they both charge. Just because y'know, I'm bad enough with breaking my own PC, never mind my car.

Any ideas on roughly what I should be looking at?

I'm not particularly confident taking my car apart like that,

I don't know too much about them, but if you're looking for one that lets you connect your ipod but also change tracks at the head unit and not the ipod, it'll have to be for ipods rather than just a 3.5mm or usb in, I think. I know my friend has one and it connects at the bottom of the ipod like.

I don't know too much about them, but if you're looking for one that lets you connect your ipod but also change tracks at the head unit and not the ipod, it'll have to be for ipods rather than just a 3.5mm or usb in, I think. I know my friend has one and it connects at the bottom of the ipod like.

I did think it might have to be, but thought I'd check.

I'm not really bothered, as long as my iPod can be easily plugged into my car without too much fuss, I'll drop in halfords on my way to work this week and see what they say.

I did think it might have to be, but thought I'd check.

I'm not really bothered, as long as my iPod can be easily plugged into my car without too much fuss, I'll drop in halfords on my way to work this week and see what they say.

Halfords are definitely your best bet as they'll give you all the help and advice you need and fit it for you too.

You will pay a bit extra than you would in other places though.

Which iPod do you have? If it's the Touch then you could get a system with bluetooth which would work really well as it would display everything on the screen.

Most car radios should have an AUX input (usually the connection is on the passenger side of in the glove box). So just run a cable form that, then get a in-car charger.

Then tape your iPod to the steering wheel.