NEurope
Shorty

Report a Bug! [Read OP first]

29 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Poor grammar in usernames makes you look slightly incompetent.

Hmm, maybe it's finally time for my name to be changed to "S.C.G." ;)

I've probably earned that extra grammatical point by now. ::shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Well I would have gone lowercase but now I feel I have to capitalize. Let’s go with a big boy W!

On 11/09/2020 at 3:04 PM, Will said:

Well I would have gone lowercase but now I feel I have to capitalize. Let’s go with a big boy W!

And it is (finally) done!

Quick check - is the ignored user function broke? I have one person on my list but still see their posts. Not really a major problem but thought I’d ask about it anyway.

Ignore me, found that somehow the ignored users were set to show all of their content to me, fixed now!

• Like 1

Is there a problem with links on the main site, the domain they are pointing to is https://abode.old.castus1.co.uk/ and I'm getting warning from the browser.

Tried 3 different devices and it's the same.

@Ashley @S.C.G@Shorty

19 minutes ago, Ike said:

Is there a problem with links on the main site, the domain they are pointing to is https://abode.old.castus1.co.uk/ and I'm getting warning from the browser.

Tried 3 different devices and it's the same.

@Ashley @S.C.G@Shorty

Anything in particular you can highlight or is it happening with everything?

In the interests of troubleshooting, I just accessed a few things out there on Windows + Chrome and I wasn't forwarded to the URL you mention. 

37 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Anything in particular you can highlight or is it happening with everything?

In the interests of troubleshooting, I just accessed a few things out there on Windows + Chrome and I wasn't forwarded to the URL you mention. 

I saw it on mobile originally, none of the images were loading. If you click Menu then any of the links it was going to that domain. News articles were doing the same.

It seems to have been fixed now, but if you click Menu then Reviews then click home it goes to an IP address 46.37.169.131.

48 minutes ago, Ike said:

I saw it on mobile originally, none of the images were loading. If you click Menu then any of the links it was going to that domain. News articles were doing the same.

It seems to have been fixed now, but if you click Menu then Reviews then click home it goes to an IP address 46.37.169.131.

I've posted about this a few times, but I'll just copy the post from the last time this was mentioned in the 'Questions' thread, as I managed to collate a bit of information about it, and possible suggestions on how to fix it, but it appears to be a quirk related to the site hosting, and it mostly seems to happen at around midday or midnight for an hour or less, and then after you reload the site from scratch, it functions as normal once the allotted time for the redirection (or whatever its doing) has passed. ::shrug:

Anyway, here's the post from last time...

- - - - -

I believe this has something to do with how the main site is hosted, as this seems to happen daily on the site, all of the text appears but not the images, and then every link seems to send the user to 'ftp.n-europe.com' instead of 'n-europe.com' or something to that effect, if this happens, it's best to reload the main page in a new tab, (there's no point in refreshing once you've clicked on an 'ftp' link as it just remains stuck) or try again in half an hour or so, as it only seems to happen at around eleven - midday or eleven - midnight.

It's far from ideal, but it's down to how the site is hosted, I believe. We're grateful for the hosting of course, and this may be something which could be fixed with some kind of redirect, as I was talking with someone about it, who had suggested this when they spotted the error themselves, as they happen to work in that department, but it's not something that I'd be able to fix.

Spoiler

"You could probably fix it with a SAN cert though as it looks like the ftp links are valid they’re just not covered under your existing SSL certificate."

I'll mention @Shorty though I'm sure he's either aware of the issue, as I think it has been mentioned before, and it may just be a limitation/quirk due to how the site is hosted.

In fact, I've just checked... and currently while most of the site is working fine, the error seems to be occuring on the Games page at the moment (though it does happen on the main page quite a lot) say, if I was to click on the Beautiful Desolation review from that page, instead of going to https://www.n-europe.com/reviews/beautiful-desolation it's currently redirecting to...

So instead of the usual review url where n-europe.com would be the usual prefix, instead it appears to be another server address...

Again though, in the time it has taken to check out the issue, and write about it in this post, the site has gone back to normal again now. ::shrug:

- - - - -

The whole site is down at the moment.

02:18 25/06/2021

'Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL'

- - - - -

But yeah, it all seems to be fine now, until the next time...

(I'm not criticising, just pointing out that this happens regularly, this is only an observation which I hope can be used in the interests of possible improvement, but if it can't be fixed for whatever reason, then that's just how it is for now. We're grateful for the hosting of the site, in any case)

I'll leave it to @Shorty to answer properly but Castus is our server so I'm not worried at first glance but he'll know better

It's quite difficult to say when I haven't seen it myself. It sounds a bit like the SSL certificate is playing up, but without seeing it firsthand and debugging it as it happens, it's hard to offer more info. For what it's worth, links to anything with abode/castus.co.uk/46.37.169.131 at least aren't malicious, they're other things on the server that are somehow being defaulted to when links break.

The big picture here really is that it's an outdated php site on a very outdated CMS and it needs a huge overhaul. And yeah it could do with better hosting, but hosting isn't cheap, and N-E weighs in at a hefty 9GB. It used to also get a crazy amount of traffic which meant only my work server - which we get hosting on for free and is a proper decent dedicated server as opposed to a big shared platform - was all that could handle it. Nowadays that might not be so true, or sites can be built in ways that are far less resource intensive, but it'll still have a cost to go anywhere else (we already pay hosting for the forum, but iirc there's no room left on that server).

Also it doesn't make sense to start a new CMS and not redesign the site, but that's another thing I've not been able to get off the ground (not really my expertise anymore).

Maybe what I've been doing with the redesign is wrong, maybe I should stick closer to what we have now, but just expand/modernise it a bit... browsing it now it's not as bad as I remember :p

Otherwise - if anyone knows a designer who will work for the sheer love of Nintendo - let them know we're looking :p if I had a design, it'd probably give me the kick I needed to rebuild it.

• Thanks 1

I've found what I think is a bug, although it may just be the most annoying advert of all time. Also, it's a bug with Tapatalk, so nothing anyone can do, I just wanted to tell someone about it.

When using Tapatalk (non-paid), they put adverts in between some of the topics. Normally, no issues.

Today however, one of the adverts started....growing. The text would slowly get bigger and bigger, expanding the advert and pushing all the other topics downwards.

When I scrolled down past it, it just kept going, until all the topics got pushed off the bottom of the screen. I watched it for a while until the text got too big to read, but it didn't look like it was going to stop.

So yeah, I'm hoping it's a bug and not a new standard for adverts, which just expand slowly until they envelop your entire life.

I'm having trouble replying to anything using the browser (since Tapatalk stopped working). I've tried several browsers, and they all have a similar problem where the reply box at the bottom won't let me click on it.

Also, there's a weird glitch where it loads the page twice, one above another.

Screenshot_20211230-195055.png

37 minutes ago, bob said:

I'm having trouble replying to anything using the browser (since Tapatalk stopped working). I've tried several browsers, and they all have a similar problem where the reply box at the bottom won't let me click on it.

Also, there's a weird glitch where it loads the page twice, one above another.

Do a hard refresh Bob.. I had the same problems this afternoon, and harrassed @Ashley on Twitter (as I couldn't do anything on the site). He fixed those particular problems.

• Thanks 1

I've re-enabled tapatalk. Tbh I didn't think anyone used it and the annoyance of the banner for every user that doesn't, seemed to outweigh it's use for the couple that do. However, if it's causing more trouble than it's worth, I've reinstated it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've re-enabled tapatalk. Tbh I didn't think anyone used it and the annoyance of the banner for every user that doesn't, seemed to outweigh it's use for the couple that do. However, if it's causing more trouble than it's worth, I've reinstated it

I can vouch as someone who uses it religiously, think there's a few more of us who use it. I just find it so much easier to see at a glance the last 10 or so posts made on the forum, and the push notifications work much better too.

Thanks for fixing it!

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

think there's a few more of us who use it. 

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Pretty sure it's just you and bob 

According to Tapatalk, Animal/Beast, Aneres and Eddage all use it too. Pretty sure Animal used to have the default Tapatalk signature too.

That's got to be like...a quarter of the active userbase!

I'll have you know that I am a wealthy patron of the site, and therefore my opinion is worth double.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheikah said:

According to Tapatalk, Animal/Beast, Aneres and Eddage all use it too. Pretty sure Animal used to have the default Tapatalk signature too.

That's got to be like...a quarter of the active userbase!

Well you can take me off the list, I haven’t used it in an age. Just been using my browser for at least a year or so!

• Like 1

Well you can take me off the list, I haven’t used it in an age. Just been using my browser for at least a year or so!
Quitter!

On 12/31/2021 at 5:10 PM, bob said:

This one happens quite regularly for me using my iPad and default browser. Nothing seems to solve it permanently.