Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

February draw a day

Marcamillian

Oh, thanks! I, er, use a program called Paint Tool SAI to do my drawings, heh. It's kinda hard for me to explain how I got the line effect if you don't have the software, though..

Also, updated previous post with a colour version! Colours are nice. =P

Mcoy is also a fan of paint tool SAI, what brush settings did you use to create that image? :)

Mcoy hasn't produced anything these last two days so apologies about that ><

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mcoy is also a fan of paint tool SAI, what brush settings did you use to create that image? :)

Ah, well it'd probably be easiest if I just showed you:

peneffect.png

Simply copy those setting and you should end up with the same brush that I used!

Day4.png

Hey look, it's Kirby!

Probably thinking of food...

Mmmm, apples. Poyo!

I still don't think if you use more than one material or... even colour... you can really call something a doodle. That's too good for a doodle.

For me the definition of a drawing and doodle depend on how much time, thought and effort I put into something. I don't know, I call a lot of my stuff doodles or sketches or... things. Only when I'm really happy with something do I call it a finished drawing.

That robin is definitely a doodle compared to some of my other stuff. Put it on there in a very short time, just put down some digital colour blotches and put on a texture I already had (only did that after a friend said she was missing it in this one).

For me the definition of a drawing and doodle depend on how much time, thought and effort I put into something. I don't know, I call a lot of my stuff doodles or sketches or... things. Only when I'm really happy with something do I call it a finished drawing.

That robin is definitely a doodle compared to some of my other stuff. Put it on there in a very short time, just put down some digital colour blotches and put on a texture I already had (only did that after a friend said she was missing it in this one).

It just depresses me because for me to do something that simple and lovely, I'd probably overkill it and spend a week or so trying to get it that nice. And then you just say its a doodle and I want to just pack up all my art equipment and go work in McDonalds.

I know what you mean Hamish. It's a weird paradox that by allowing/forcing yourself to care less about the result, you end up with something really free and energetic, and the longer you work, the more energy you take away.

NOTE: when I say care less, I mean more like...less worried by a stroke going wrong? Like, whenever you are faced with inking some pencils you are really happy with - almost guaranteed to go wrong unless you relax!

It just depresses me because for me to do something that simple and lovely, I'd probably overkill it and spend a week or so trying to get it that nice. And then you just say its a doodle and I want to just pack up all my art equipment and go work in McDonalds.

See, but then I feel that way when people like you keep coming up with drawing after drawing of great quality like it's nothing, and I'm sitting here wondering why I can't even get a simple sketch down on paper haha.

The last four days I've been amazed at myself for being able to get anything drawn, as I've not drawn in so long and kinda had lost all motivation to draw again. In my head I had already kinda decided becoming an illustrator isn't for me. Still kinda have that niggling in the back of my head, but yeah. =P

We should stop depressing each other haha!

Also Yvonne, do you happen to have an online portfolio where I can ooh and aah over your work? =)

@Eenuh : I can imagine! I sometimes think that exercise is designed to tell people "look, art is work, if you don't like it, go away", and is better to bust out on a college class. I'm never teaching anyone a subject they didn't explicitly select!

@Magnus : I dig that guy's expression! Perhaps he is judging the dress sense of your other figures...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!