Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2012

Retro_Link

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never did I ever think this would happen...

Kimi's on Top Gear next Sunday!!!!! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2012/11/top-gear.html

In the final programme of the series Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May set out to discover if you can go motor racing for less than it costs to play golf.

Richard is out on the Top Gear test track in the brand new BMW M5 and there's a double helping of stars as rock legend Slash and Lotus F1 driver Kimi Raikkonen are let loose in Reasonably Priced Cars.

Oh christ, I can see the interview section now:

Jezzer: "So, what are you driving these days?"

Kimi: "My car."

Jezzer: "..."

Also, I've been looking up some of the old BBC coverage intros. God they are beautiful. SKY's really gonna have to reach deep to match the passion and humour the BBC boys obviously have for the sport.

You never know where you are until you get to Melbourne and everyone pulls their pants down. Then you can see what they have got and you show what you have got.

I think somebody's getting a bit too excited. :heh:

Possibly my favourite shot in a while, I love these top-down views.

tumblr_m0dangD2bj1qk0hyto2_1280.jpg

Also, good final day of testing for almost everybody except Red Bull who got next to no running done after a shunt & gearbox problems. I don't want to be malicious but I do hope that lets the rest step up for round 1. Fingers crossed it's as close as everyone says it will be.

Edited by gaggle64

Totally agree!

a) When I saw that photo earlier it almost made me consider a new sig! :D

This slightly wider one...

90ofgl.jpg

b) Looking at the times and seeing Vettel last with 25 laps or something does make me smile. I mean I have nothing against Vettel (aside from I think everyones getting a bit carried away by the guy), but it would be great to see a few other teams given a chance to step up!

Someone made a point on Autosport, that Newey often needs a while/even a season to break in a new concept of car (as shown by the unreliability in 2010... and constant unreliability at McLaren), so here's hoping Red Bull don't have everything their way...........maybe...........? :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Those shots are lovely, makes me want to drive the car to be honest. The Renault feed on facebook has been quite nice lately, putting up numbers then having people guess what the stat was today's was 60 (I think) which was the litres per second a wet tyre can disperse. They then go on to say it's not the litres of vodka their lead driver can down in an evening - nice that they are having a bit of fun with it.

Looking forward to the first race, one of the few I can actually watch live at a reasonable hour.

These quotes have me extra excited...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17252666

Mercedes boss Ross Brawn predicts 'tightest season for years'

Speaking at the end of pre-season testing, Brawn said it was extremely difficult to say which teams were in the best shape but that the entire field had closed up.

"I'm expecting the tightest start to a season we've seen for a number of years," said Brawn.

"It is great for F1 to have so many world champions, but just the quality of the field and the fact the cars look as if they're going to be a bit closer [means] I think we're going to have a really exciting season. It could be one of the best for a number of years."

Gary Anderson

BBC F1 technical analyst

"Up and down the pit lane all the technical directors seem to agree this will be the closest season for years. It means teams will be punished for any small mistake - you could lose 10 grid places if you get it even slightly wrong. It should be a great year."

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm so disinterested in this team but here goes...

*Force that smile Glock*

1330944293.jpg

g7c70634.jpg

So we have a second car without a 'drop nose'...

However, it still hasn't passed the final crash test!

Also the front wing is very high off the ground!!?

Edited by Retro_Link

Looks alot better than some of the other teams, Okay not the paint job, but they've handled the nose drop well.

Also the pictures above showing the top down view of an F1 car are pretty amazing, Didn't quite realize how wide and F1 car really is.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97863

Jaime Alguersuari joins BBC Radio 5 Live commentary team

Former Toro Rosso driver Jamie Alguersuari will join BBC Radio 5 Live as a commentator this year.

The Spaniard will be the station's expert summarise alongside James Allen on its live coverage of the 2012 Formula 1 season. He is expected to be present at every race of the championship in his 5 Live role - and is believed to also be eyeing reserve positions with frontrunning teams, having been linked with Mercedes over the winter.

"It's great to be part of the BBC's F1 commentary team on Radio 5 live," he said. "It will be interesting to look at the action from a different angle and bring that excitement and insight to listeners.

"Given that I'm still only 21, this agreement permits me to return to F1. It promises to be another exciting season and I can't wait for it to start."

Hope he gets a third seat somewhere, but at least this will keep him around the paddock.

Sky's Intro

It's poor IMO.

Completely the wrong choice of music for an Intro intended to get you excited/fired up for the race... obviously the BBC used it brilliantly as an emotional closing montage. The song is also cut together badly.

And whilst it's always nice to see historic footage, I think it could have been blended better, and there are also better moments out there they could have used.

I just don't think Sky get it tbh.

Edited by Retro_Link

To be fair I think the video is better than the weird CGI cars that the BBC have, music choice is OK but I don't think you can beat The Chain, for me that music is far too connected to the sport now for anything else to top it.

Agree that better historic footage could have been used, but I don't think it's too bad at all.

I actually don't mind the BBC's CGI cars, at least it's completely neutral and I enjoy the nods to different circuits... but I think the BBC are in need of an updated intro.

Sky should have put a few more cars behind Vettel on the starting grid.

And could have done with a bit more late90's and 2000's footage. Do they even show Spa?... they should have had Alonso/Webber's Eau Rouge last year. And Suzuka 2005.

EDIT:

BTW did anyone watch the programme on Nicolas Hamilton last night? I saw the last half of it... was a really good watch. I'll try and watch the rest of it sometime.

Very inspirational guy and damn is Antony Hamilton tough! It's funny because I'm sure that Lewis would be more than willing to offer up the money to his brother for him to race (he's always saying how his brother inspires him).

Edited by Retro_Link

I actually don't mind the BBC's CGI cars, at least it's completely neutral and I enjoy the nods to different circuits... but I think the BBC are in need of an updated intro.

Sky should have put a few more cars behind Vettel on the starting grid.

And could have done with a bit more late90's and 2000's footage. Do they even show Spa?... they should have had Alonso/Webber's Eau Rouge last year. And Suzuka 2005.

EDIT:

BTW did anyone watch the programme on Nicolas Hamilton last night? I saw the last half of it... was a really good watch. I'll try and watch the rest of it sometime.

Very inspirational guy and damn is Antony Hamilton tough! It's funny because I'm sure that Lewis would be more than willing to offer up the money to his brother for him to race (he's always saying how his brother inspires him).

Seeing as you mentioned it, I decided to give it a watch...It was brilliant! Was so happy when he got that 9th place :)

Such an inspirational guy, I've got to say. When Lewis was talking about when they played football and nick would fall over, then get back up and try again...Terrific character.

I'd actually love to meet him in real life, tempted to go to one of those races days at Brands Hatch.

Less than 1 WEEK to go now guys!!!! :yay:

With that in mind, I just had to check on the BBC website exactly what we were gonna be getting, and honestly it doesn't sound that bad at all!

For some reason I was under the imppression that the BBC might not be getting Qualifying (especially for races that aren't live), and that all we'd get was a Sunday show, but nope!!... we even get Practice on the Red Button for the Live Race Weekends!

Australian Grand Prix, Melbourne

Saturday 17 March: Qualifying highlights: 1300-1415, BBC Two/BBC HD/online

Sunday 18 March: Grand Prix highlights: 1400-1600, BBC One/BBC HD/online

The BBC's red button interactive TV service will broadcast live coverage of all on-track sessions - Friday and Saturday practice, qualifying and race - from the 10 races that are live on the BBC.
Highlights are more than fine for Qually, you can loose 20mins off of that easily, given that Q3 is all but pointless anyway.

Excited!! :D

... And KIMI ON TOP GEAR TONIGHT!!

Are they not doing a full race re-run?

The BBC do have this one live don't they?

I'm still not 100% sure what we're getting, because they're also doing the Forum shows aswell I believe... so maybe the '2hr Highlights Show' includes 20mins build-up and then a full race re-run?... and then they do all the post stuff in the forum, I don't know.

And no, the first race the BBC has live is China.

As much as I did like getting up at various times of the morning over the season, missing the early morning races as the live races is definately the best option, as you just watch the highlights at the usual lunchtime slot.

I'm still not 100% sure what we're getting, because they're also doing the Forum shows aswell I believe... so maybe the '2hr Highlights Show' includes 20mins build-up and then a full race re-run?... and then they do all the post stuff in the forum, I don't know.

And no, the first race the BBC has live is China.

As much as I did like getting up at various times of the morning over the season, missing the early morning races as the live races is definately the best option, as you just watch the highlights at the usual lunchtime slot.

I can just use my sisters Sky Go ID to watch the live races on there, but i won't be getting up at 5am to watch races if they're going to be on the BBC that afternoon.

Sounds okay really.

Everyone on Freeview/equivalent, whack on Channel 11 (PickTV), where they're randomly

showing Sky's 2012 Preview Show!???

Dunno if it's on a continuous loop or what, but I've just seen it's on and it's a good watch.

Also loved Kimi on Top Gear! :D

And that track racing they did at the end of the show was fantastic!

Edited by Retro_Link

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!