N-Europe

Formula 1 2012

Retro_Link

Just read on twitter that apparently Mercedes had Perez lined up if it didn't work out with Lewis. I think the outcome we got was the better one; Lewis is the better driver to grow Mercedes, and Perez can add some excitement into McLaren.

Really looking forward to Suzuka, shame it's not a live race on the BBC.

What are the weather reports like there @will&\#39;?

I've seen some photo's of monsoon like weather, but hopefuly the weekends looking brighter?

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weather in Tokyo is all over the place at the moment, one minute it's the most epic of storms the next it's blazing sunshine. I think the worst is passed though. Not sure what it will be like down at Suzuka, it's a fair old distance from here.

Makes 2012 even more special! The fact we have 6 World Champions on the grid only happen for 1 year!

I really hope they do a Special photo of all 6 World Champions this year. There was that photo of them sat on the cars in Aus but I don't think that was anywhere near iconic enough! They did that photo last year for the 5 drivers still in the championship, but really that's nothing. This needs to be celebrated!

Sounds like Schumacher is ready to go though and maybe has been for a while...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103048

"If [anything] at all, it is relief," he explained. "We had a three-year agreement and already it was hard work for me to keep the motivation and keep the energy and always go forward.

"With all that I have achieved, it is natural that you think about it a little bit more than maybe being young. So in a way how things have developed, I am actually very pleased.

"I have always been informed by the team, so I knew what was going on and I am quite happy that things have developed in this direction and I am free to get back the freedom I had before."

He added: "I told you at the time [of my first retirement] in 2006 that my battery was empty, and [now] I am on the red zone with my batteries.

"I was not sure if I could recharge them with the time we have available or not, and I felt it is time for freedom again."

Schumacher said the final call on his future was made after Hamilton committed to Mercedes last week - as up until that point he was unsure of his own desires.

"The special moment in a way was obviously that the team found an option with Lewis that sort of helped me find that decision," he said when asked about what was the key factor in him reaching a conclusion on his plans.

"Obviously there was an option for me to do so at an earlier stage and I was in the picture when there was the negotiation going on, but I didn't want to decide.

"I wasn't sure about myself, so it is like this. Sometimes in life your destiny will develop by itself and so it did. But without any hard feelings and without any regrets."

It is probably not a complete surprise to explain a little bit on how my thoughts are on this. Basically I have decided to retire by the end of the year.

Although I am still able and capable to compete with the best drivers that are around, at some point it is good to say goodbye - and that is what I am doing this season. This time it might even be forever.

During the past month, I was not sure if I still had the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on. It is not my style to do something that I am not 100 per cent feeling for. With today's decision, I feel released from those doubts and in the end my ambition to fight for victories and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness.

It is without doubt that we did not achieve our goals to develop a world championship fighting car. But it is also very clear that I can still be very happy about my overall achievements in the whole time of my career.

In the past six years I have learned a lot about myself. For example, that you can open yourself without losing focus. That losing can be both more difficult and more instructive than winning. Sometimes I lost sight of this in the early years. But you appreciate to be able to do what you love to do. That you should live your convictions and I was able to do so.

I would obviously like to thank Daimler, Mercedes-Benz, the team, the engineers, and all my mechanics for all the trust that they put in those years in to myself. But I would also like to thank all of my friends, partners and companions who over many years in motor sport supported myself.

But most of all I would like to thank Corinna, and my family for standing always by my side, giving me the freedom to live my conviction and share my joy. That is very special.

I would like now to concentrate until the end of the season for the last races, and enjoy them together with you. Let's have fun.

Thank you.

Edited by Retro_Link

A picture from my seat, I'm no photographer, so it's not amazing, but the seat is good and it's lots of fun.

284115_10151088832107194_2056000698_n.jpg

Didn't bother booking a hotel, I'm staying at a Capsule Inn, which is also a lot of fun. Quite the adventure. Hopefully Fernando can pull it back from his grid, don't want him to drop too many points. It would be nice if Kamui can do well too, the crowd absolutely love him.

Nice! Looks like a great view with the two sections of track! :D

Gah, Kimi!

Frustrating qually. After Q2 and with Jensons 5 place drop it looked like he had the potential for 3rd or 4th on the grid today, he was 2tenths up on Grosjean. Still at least P7 is the clean side (if that really matter here), but he has to get a good start and jump Fernando of the line!

Red Bull have got the race win in the bag tomorrow, which ever car it comes from; well unless they have a Monza, which would be handy! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Tomorrow's race is going to be massively interesting. Firstly, you've got teams wanting to 3 stop but the Saubers and the Lotus of Grosjean who will be able to at least try a 2 stopper, giving them track position ahead of Vettel and Webber.

Kimi's spin really pissed me off as it cost alonso and Hamilton 4th/5th respectively but well done to Koba, he deserves a great result and hoping he can pull off a 2 stopper and a podium.

Did anyone see Kimi's interview after qualifying was over? Just brilliant.

I don't know about Lewis for 5th, he said in his interview his setup is so bad he's not even sure the yellows would have made any real difference to him. I think the the Red Bulls, Saubers, Jenson, Fernando and the Lotus' were always gonna beat him; he's just a bit unlucky Jenson didn't drop behind him.

Be good to see if he can maybe try a 2 stop in the race, he's pulled that out once this year already.

Alonso being that bit further back will certainly help keep the championship going, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get on the podium, I think the Ferrari will have great race pace.

I think one of those 3... the Saubers & Grosjean might make a bad start anyway, Kamui hasn't been good off the line this year.

Think it's gonna be an exciting and possibly eventful first lap!

An enjoyable enough race, by no means a classic, but there were a number of incidents and some decent racing to keep it interesting; plus it's had a huge effect on the championship!

After Singapore it looked like Vettel was going to be in with a decent chance of the title, but now he has to be the favourite for the 2012 title.

Alonso's only got himself to blame for that racing incident off the start. He was too agressive and paid the price for it.

Grosjean continue's to be an F1 liability. Throwing points away for the team and ruining other teams and drivers races whist he's at it. I didn't really see how the race ban would have much of an effect, and it seems it hasn't. Can't see how he would learn from another one either tbh. Every other driver coming into F1 seems to have developed their spatial awareness! Time for him to go... and take his useless team principle/manager with him!

Apparently Red Bull have introduced their own (Mercedes style) DDRS through a new rear wing this weekend and it seems to have worked. Can't see anyone catching them now tbh.

Edited by Retro_Link

Great to see Kobayashi on the podium in Japan. 4 podiums for Sauber this season, not bad at all.

While I'm excited to see Perez at McLaren next season, it's also a shame as Sauber are in the process of losing that mid-table team status, and could of perhaps challenge Mercedes and Lotus in 2013.

I hope Kobayashi gets a car next season.

Alonso's only got himself to blame for that racing incident off the start. He was too agressive and paid the price for it.

Don't really agree with this. Alonso didn't have a great start, just average, he held his position and got clipped by Kimi, giving him a puncture sending him flying off. You could say he could have saved his car if he wasn't going so fast, but it's Turn 1 in Japan, a high speed corner, and isn't the point of the start to try to try and overtake as many as you can while everyone's still bunched up? Struggling to see what else he could do, was very unlucky in my opinion.

Don't really agree with this. Alonso didn't have a great start, just average, he held his position and got clipped by Kimi, giving him a puncture sending him flying off. You could say he could have saved his car if he wasn't going so fast, but it's Turn 1 in Japan, a high speed corner, and isn't the point of the start to try to try and overtake as many as you can while everyone's still bunched up? Struggling to see what else he could do, was very unlucky in my opinion.
The last thing Fernando did was hold his position. He was moving all over the place!

Kimi was the one holding his line on the far left, then Alonso just kept coming further and further left squeezing him. Then he jerks left massively overreacting to Jenson's car, forcing Kimi to drop a wheel on to the grass and as a result the two cars touched.

You can see here just how much space Alonso had to the right of him here if he'd wanted to get through Turn 1 sensibly...

japan1s.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

I don't thinks it's worth trying to blame Kimi or Alonso for that incident in Japan. It's an incredibly narrow track and Alonso's move back towards Kimi was mainly because Jenson came over quite sharply and clearly made him cautious. Either way, it's a racing incident.

That said it really did make the championship less interesting with Vettel now in an incredible position to take it. The only thing I can imagine that will stop him, particularly after RB's new DDRS, is a couple of retirements/mistakes. That said, Alonso really does deserve the title more. Bah. F1.

Decent quali, glad to see Webber take the pole though somehow I doubt he'll fight Vettel too hard. Hopefully both Lewis and Alonso can match the Red Bull over the race distance tomorrow. I'm already rather resigned to Vettel going three championships in a row though. God dammit Adrian Newey.

Yeah why is Adrian Newey now capable of building reliable cars aswell. When he was at McLaren they were breaking all the time dammit!

Qually was great! Really pleased to see Kimi get 5th, hoping he can possible improve on that but it'll be very tough. And yeah good job by Webber, dunno what Vettel was complaining Massa for, but like last year he started 2nd and was P1 after the long straights, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the same slip streaming benefit again. It's a very exciting grid! :D

Boring race.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with the tyres lately, all this tyre saving and drivers not pushing/driving slowly is just boring to watch.

At least at the start of the season the cars and tyres seemed somewhat less predictable, but now it can just be incredibly boring and frustrating.

Yeah that wasn't the most exciting race, I had a surge of excitement in the last lap when Perez caught up with Hamilton, just kinda wanted Perez to pass him and get that last point.

Unfortunate for Button, and Kobayashi can be really... hmm what's the word. Unpredictable? Can go from a great performance one week, to that the next.