Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2012

Retro_Link

Mixed race weekend...

Really pleased Kimi faught like crazy to reach P5 in a Lotus that has been nothing but an average midfielder these last two races. Great to see him sitting in 3rd Place in the WDC, but Lotus need to seriously up their game and hopefully the next set of track will alo be more suited.

Vettel's penalty was harsh IMO. To me it looked like Vettel did exactly the same as Fernando did to him last year; except this time Alonso chose to run that little bit wider; I think he had more room than he chose to take.

Also whilst Perez drove a great race. There's still something not right about a car that can only qualify 12th, but then benefits from being able to choose their tyres whilst the leaders are locked in to theirs. Really either all cars should be allowed to choose, or they all have to start on their qualifying tyres.

It only slightly came through on the TV, but apparently Lewis got a really bad reception from the crowd on the podium... with plenty of booing and racist monkey noises. I was kind of expecting it, but it's really disgusting behaviour and a real shame he's the only driver that has to put up with this.

But anyway... the championship battle is really heating up and Singapore can't come soon enough!

#AllOfTheLights!

I can't tell whether the indented slightly in your post was sarcasm or not. I didn't stay to watch podium so was it actually quite bad? Hopefully it'll be reported. That's disgusting.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell whether the indented slightly in your post was sarcasm or not. I didn't stay to watch podium so was it actually quite bad? Hopefully it'll be reported. That's disgusting.

There was some jeering towards Hamilton, they tried to silence it.

I was somewhat listening out for it as I had a feeling it might be the case with Lewis winning.

When he was on the podium and getting his trophy the crowd noise sounded a bit strange but I couldn't really make anything out; however the fact Lewis seemed to turn his celebration towards the Pit Lane was an indication.

But I heard about it on the Autosports forum from people who were at the race.

I somewhat think Alonso should have done something about it what with the influence he has; but then it's not his responsibility (although you could say it would help set an example).

Edited by Retro_Link

James Allens thinks Hamilton-Mercedes is looking more and more like a done deal.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/09/hamilton-set-to-move-to-mercedes/

Screen-Shot-2012-09-10-at-12.34.011.png

Lewis Hamilton’s demeanour and that of his team after victory in the Italian Grand Prix bore all the hallmarks of a divorce that has already been agreed. Minimal celebrations on the pit wall and beneath the podium, a team photo for appearances’ sake with an implacable looking Hamilton and Ron Dennis declining to join in.

Despite appearances, team boss Martin Whitmarsh said after the race that suggestions that a deal was already done were “fantasy” and insisted that the door is still open if Hamilton wants to stay.

However driver contracts often get signed during race weekends and there were strong indications that the situation may have been closed out before everyone left Monza.

Hamilton looks like he is moving on, perhaps the only way he can become his own man, certainly the only way he and XIX Entertainment can fully cash in on his status, box office power and his image rights. And that is a big part of what this is about. Mercedes is one of the world’s most powerful brands, while McLaren makes F1 cars and small volume sports cars. This deal will take Hamilton’s name and image well beyond the boundaries of F1. If Hamilton did not want this, why would he had signed up with XIX?

Also McLaren drivers have to work within strict guidelines with team sponsors. Mercedes need Hamilton and this deal will give him greater freedom. The suggested deal with Mercedes and its sponsors is very big and so too will be the impact it will make on the competition in F1 over the next three years and the driver market in the nearer term.

Mercedes had to do this, as one of only two “works” teams in F1 they had to get a champion on board, especially with Michael Schumacher winding down towards retirement again. There is risk if they don’t go on to win, but it’s a risk worth taking.

Ron Dennis’ fellow McLaren shareholders were all in Monza this weekend, from Friday onwards; Bahrain’s Sheikh Salman and long time shareholder Mansour Ojjeh could be observed in discussions with Whitmarsh over the next steps in a painful negotiation with a driver whom the team has nurtured since childhood.

Eddie Jordan, apparently prompted by both XIX and Bernie Ecclestone, lobbed the grenade in on Wednesday, saying that Hamilton was on the point of signing for Mercedes. It was a final call to McLaren to improve the deal on offer or lose their man.

But some signs were there from McLaren’s side that there was not only a reluctance to meet the financial terms, but also a weariness with the whole pantomime of ‘Life with Lewis.’ The tweeting of the set up sheet in Spa was a symbolic watershed in a relationship which has veered off track since the wide eyed enthusiasm of 2007.

The biggest problem for McLaren is how to replace Hamilton without losing significant performance. He’s worth £25 million a year because he’s one of the fastest drivers in the world and whoever sits in the car next year is unlikely to be able to match that speed. Whitmarsh said yesterday that he does not have a Plan B.

Paul di Resta senses an opportunity, but will he be able to meet the numbers on the stopwatch that Hamilton does? And will McLaren want both their drivers to be managed by the same person? Di Resta confirmed his deal with Jenson Button’s manager Richard Goddard this weekend, replacing Lewis’ father Anthony, who is suing Di Resta for wrongful dismissal and loss of earnings.

F1 is an incestuous world, with such complex intertwined relationships but there is great goodwill between Goddard and Whitmarsh. Goddard looked very pleased all weekend in sharp contrast to the careworn faces of the McLaren management.

Kimi Raikkonen is the only driver who could get close to Hamilton’s performance – he is only a single point behind him in the championship – but he seems happy at Lotus and he wasn’t terribly happy last time he drove for McLaren. His qualifying pace has yet to be rediscovered but he’s racing very strongly. He would work well with Button and form a strong team, but he’s come back to F1 to enjoy himself and the sponsor commitments would be a huge sticking point. Button would refuse to do more than his fair share for Vodafone, Mobil and the rest to compensate.

Speaking of Vodafone, there have been suggestions that discussions are taking place for Sergio Perez to join the team; Vodafone has been looking for years into expanding its reach in Latin America and particularly Brazil via Perez’ backers Telmex and America Movil. So this could provide a strong business case for a move. However Perez is a Ferrari Academy driver so there are some hurdles there.

There have been suggestions of a trade with Mercedes on Nico Rosberg, with Michael Schumacher staying on to partner Hamilton. But one senses that Mercedes were waiting to see if they could get Hamilton signed before making their next move, and now may start gently leaning on the seven times champion to ease him into retirement.

Hamilton at Mercedes, if and when confirmed, is good news for Bernie Ecclestone, who keeps Mercedes involved and committed, despite some very rocky times between the two parties recently over Mercedes’ share of the sport’s revenues in comparison with Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren. It could be Mercedes’ turn to do some winning in F1.

Ecclestone has got what he wants, but is known to be suspicious of Simon Fuller and XIX Entertainment. Such a group having so much power and control over one of his biggest stars is a situation he will be monitoring carefully.

This looks like the final push for Mercedes – Ross Brawn knows what it takes to win and has followed the tried and tested formula: he has built up his technical team, they have their own engine facilities and a clear plan and now it looks like they have the driver.

All the pieces are in place and Mercedes must deliver the title in the next three years.

Fail with this group and there would be pressure from Daimler shareholders to call time on the F1 adventure.

I was thinking over the race weekend that it was fitting it was Monza that all this talk was being brought too, as it's been the scene for driver new in the past; it was the place Ferrari announced Kimi would be driving for them after all. *vomits*

I'd be dissapointed in Lewis if he made the move based on what's laregly being suggested so far... the chance for his management to make him into a Global brand etc... I'd very much feel like he's selling out. I hope he is thinking clearly and isn't letting the lifestyle dictate he's decision.

Rosberg would be a wasted McLaren seat IMO, he's not got enough fight in him to win a championship, and Di Resta hasn't convinced me he's any better than his teammate either.

Edited by Retro_Link

I was thinking over the race weekend that it was fitting it was Monza that all this talk was being brought too, as it's been the scene for driver new in the past; it was the place Ferrari announced Kimi would be driving for them after all. *vomits*

Not a fan of Kimi's tenure at the Big Red?

Although the idea of a driver spending their entire career with one team was a romantic one I always assumed the day would come when performance, money or just a fresh break would be too tempting a prospect for a Lewis. I think he'll go to Merc and settle in very comfortably very quickly.

I agree with JA that from the point of obtaining Lewis, The Silver Arrows have three years to get something good done. If Lewis turns out to be the catalyst they needed he'll be placed among the greatest of the sport. If they don't, everything will just seem obvious with hindsight.

I think Ferrari treated Kimi like shit tbh, threw away a couple of potential WDC's for him (wasted years), and singlehandedly almost destroyed his reputation in the process. So no not really! :p

I too have always thought Lewis would leave, but I always thought it would be for car performance.

Lewis would get on fine there with Norbert, and especially if Nico was his team-mate, but Michael too.

However is Lewis a team builder? I don't know, I just don't get Mercedes... if Ross and Michael can't develop a winning car in 3 years, can Lewis?... OK so they might strike it lucky with the 2014 engine, but if that's the case will people look on those championships the same? I don't understand what's holding Mercedes back right now, they seem to have it all (money, staff, 2 talented drivers, engine performance, straight line speed) and yet somethings not working.

---

Looks like the Demo should be up on 360 and PS3 now! This'll be the first PS3 demo I've downloaded! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

I think Ferrari treated Kimi like shit tbh, threw away a couple of potential WDC's for him (wasted years), and singlehandedly almost destroyed his reputation in the process. So no not really! :p

I too have always thought Lewis would leave, but I always thought it would be for car performance.

Lewis would get on fine there with Norbert, and especially if Nico was his team-mate, but Michael too.

However is Lewis a team builder? I don't know, I just don't get Mercedes... if Ross and Michael can't develop a winning car in 3 years, can Lewis?... OK so they might strike it lucky with the 2014 engine, but if that's the case will people look on those championships the same? I don't understand what's holding Mercedes back right now, they seem to have it all (money, staff, 2 talented drivers, engine performance, straight line speed) and yet somethings not working.

---

Looks like the Demo should be up on 360 and PS3 now! This'll be the first PS3 demo I've downloaded! :D

Interesting that you mention that..I asked James Allen about Kimi's performance that year and he said that something that the media never reported but was known throughout the paddock in some areas was that his personal life really took a big downturn during that year. He went through a period where he just wasn't happy at all and apparently turned up to a test (or 2) drunk.

Just food for thought...Much better than the media's 'Massa ruined him' line of firing.

If that is true (he never missed a day of testing), it would seem strange considering he won the championship the year before, but maybe that success highlighted problems in his personal life. Still if all the team principles etc... still continued to regard him so highly it must have been something personnal and not a 'lack of motivation' as the press [fueled by Ferrari] always painted it to be.

And it doesn't excuse how the team failed to get behind him IMO. Keeping Michael around. Developing the 2008 car away from him despite his success in the early 2008 season; and the same in 2009 until Massa's injury, where the results then spoke for themselves! [/uh I hate all this, still I guess fans of other drivers, Micheal, Alonso, Lewis have to put up with their share of it too]

... Anyway, more importantly we've got the old Kimi back now. :p

BTW @Goron_3, watched the short video of your trip that went up this morning! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

I think I only really became aware of Sid Watkins through the Senna documentary, but there have been some lovely messages for him on twitter.

asifkapadia ‏@asifkapadia

@mpandey69 informed me of the sad passing of Prof Sid Watkins. A wonderful man. Ayrton & Prof will finally get to go fishing. #RIPSidWatkins

David Brabham ‏@brabsracer

RIP Prof Sid, we will be forever indebted to you. Say hi to the greats up there, I bet they were all waiting for you. #respect

Retweeted by Mark Webber

He's done a lot for the sport, rest in peace Sid Watkins.

---

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/09/f1-drivers-look-through-the-lens-for-charity/

A collection of 50 images taken by F1 drivers and team bosses will be auctioned tomorrow night in London to raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital.

The images, which range from racing orientated to leisure and travel, have been collated by Zoom and will go under the hammer in a special event at London’s Wyndham Grand, Chelsea Harbour. Coys will conduct the auction. The images will be signed by the photographers.

You can see all the photo's here by clicking on each of the names:

http://www.zoom-auction.com/gallery.htm

There are some really nice ones... I like Senna's because that image has just become such a part of the Senna Family lifestyle.

Others have a well thought out desciption or reason behind them.

McLaren on the other hand really couldn't have put in less effort when they were handed camera's! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Firstly, MASSIVE shame about Sid Watkins passing away. Truly a sad moment for the sport and I hope they do something before the Singapore Race to honour him, he was a class act and save countless lives (Mika in 95 is a great example).

Secondly, I wish Lewis would hurry up and make his mind up already about what he's doing...sort it out Lewis! Hoping Lewis goes to Merc alongside schumacher and Rosberg goes to Lotus, whilst Kimi goes to Mclaren...wishful thinking? Probably :)

Good write up on the subject by Andrew Benson - I didn't realise Mercedes were still ramping themselves up to full strength. Even in pure "driver" terms it doesn't look like any easy choice. Additional rumours are that Schumacher has been offered a contract for next year, McLaren have already approached Perez and Heikki's managers have been called to Maranello. It's silly season folks.

Also, this from Tumblr:

tumblr_magh0vKpjU1re3mlho1_1280.jpg

Edited by gaggle64

There was talk on the Autosports forums that they could maybe do a Sid Watkins trophy or something, a perminant recognition of his work in F1.

Don't know what it could be awarded for though; but I imagine it wouldn't be going to Maldonado or Grosjean this year!

So Grosjean has had 7 first lap incidents in the first 12 races right and has been given a race ban.

Question: What do they do if he does it again?

Romain and Lotus are saying that he's learnt and made him a better driver, but say it's the start of Singapore and he causes another crash. Where can they go?... two race ban?... Do they take away his license? Interesting one, because they've set the example now.

Also...

tumblr_maa64sI2oH1r8kneko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m9q9w3yn9D1qbo676o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m9sr9knIxb1rp29lio1_250.pngtumblr_m9sr9knIxb1rp29lio2_250.png

tumblr_m9sr9knIxb1rp29lio3_250.pngtumblr_m9sr9knIxb1rp29lio4_250.png

tumblr_ma37x7bqT01rypmt9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_ma4mo3IQEU1r8kneko1_500.jpg

tumblr_maa7o8A6IQ1r8kneko1_500.png

IF F1 DRIVERS VOICED A SAT NAV

Sebastian Vettel: No I will obviously not tell you where you should go. You didn't check the tyres pressure at the start. How can you break a record of fast reaching destination now? And it's so windy. It will slow you down so much.

Mark Webber: Even my donkey would drive faster than you, fella. Turn right now.

Jenson Button: Hey you did exactly what you had to! Amazing. You are almost there! Whoa, you did great.

Fernando Alonso: 50 metres and then take the turn where you can take a great hispter photo of the setting sun.

Lewis Hamilton: You should turn RIGHT and not left. This is frickin' ridiculous.

Kimi Raikkonen: It doesn't interest me where you are going.

Boo.... Jake's leaving the Beeb :(

Jake Humphrey to leave BBC for BT Vision

BBC presenter Jake Humphrey has announced he is to leave the corporation to host BT Vision's Premier League coverage.

BT will launch a new channel after acquiring the rights to £738m worth of Premier League football, starting from the 2013-14 season.

The 33-year-old, best known for hosting the BBC's Formula 1 coverage, will anchor the new channel's live football coverage from next season which includes 38 live games a season over three years.

He will continue to present the BBC's F1 coverage for the remainder of the current season.

Humphrey started his career on CBBC and went on to become the youngest host of Football Focus, Match of the Day and Final Score and was one of the main broadcasters during the London 2012 Olympics.

"I'm incredibly excited to be joining the team at BT, not just because I get to fulfil a lifelong dream of presenting the Premier League but because of the fresh perspective that BT will bring to both sport and broadcasting in this country," said Humphrey.

A BBC statement read: "We'd like to wish Jake all the best for the future, and thank him for his contribution to the BBC over the last 10 years."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19635534

Just read this!... what on Earth's this BT TV thing? Is it a subscription channel for BT customers or something?

Very surprised considering I thought he was very much a man of the BBC... hence missing F1 to cover the Olympics and the Euro's etc... but I guess if he's been offered a ton of money!

I think Lee McKenzie does a decent enough job when she fills in for Jake so I'd quite like to see her carry on from him... but James Allen said this on his site...

It leaves the BBC thinking about how they replace him, as they had built the whole presentation around a Top Gear-style ‘three amigos’ dynamic with Humphrey’s playing along in increasingly ridiculous sketches with the antics of Eddie Jordan and the mild dissaproval of David Coulthard.

Lee McKenzie has deputised for Humphrey during his enforced absences on other sports duties in the last couple of years and the BBC may go with her for its 10 live races and 10 highlights races each season.

But the dynamic with the other two other male presenters will clearly change, so it requires a root and branch rethink.

It's true, I'm not sure Lee would fit into the likes of the Monaco '3 Men in a Lift' sketch etc... :p

But we'll see.

It's true, I'm not sure Lee would fit into the likes of the Monaco '3 Men in a Lift' sketch etc... :p

Yeah that just wouldn't work at all...

It's a shame, really like Jake, I guess with Moyles no longer on Radio 1 he wouldn't be phoning in on race weekends anymore anyways, but this would deffo mean he won't.

He was great covering the super bowl too.

I'm sure when the Sky Sports F1 deal came about he said that he didn't want to leave the BBC because they are the best production team he's ever been with.

Now he's going to join BT Vision... Real shame, he's one of the best sports presenters around at the moment and now no one will be able to see him at all.

Yeah he's a much better presenter than people give him credit for, very natural and makes you feel comfortable and at ease.

The difference between him and Gary Lineker during the Olympics Coverage was night and day.

When talking to guests, often Gary would have had awkward silences, trouble getting his words out, asked stupid questions, didn't ever give you any confidence in him as a presenter that he truely knew what he was talking about. He's decent on Match of the Day, but really his job there isn't difficult at all!

Ah yeah, very good point, I doubt he'd want to miss any of his kids first year! This when everything new happens!

---

1348052768.jpg

F1 Racing magazine has brought together every Formula 1 world champion since the magazine's 1996 launch to the present day for a special celebratory 200th issue, which goes on sale from 20 September.

Every title winner from Damon Hill through to Sebastian Vettel (by way of Jacques Villeneuve, Mika Hakkinen, Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button) has been interviewed and photographed for a unique gatefold cover, feature and free poster.

F1 Racing would like to tell you it was an easy task to put such a line-up in place but with eight different team PRs and managers to liaise with - combined with a hectic F1 schedule - it was no mean feat.

Yet in the end, five months of planning, chasing, waiting, worrying, photographing and interviewing came together for what the team thinks is its most spectacular cover feature to date.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!