NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2012

Grosjean_002.gif

Well I don't want to be pessimistic too soon, but it looks to me like Lotus have fallen behind in the development race and that's it for Kimi's title chances now! Decent long runs by Kimi today, but they were around 2 seconds off the one lap pace! :hmm:

Even Mercedes have now brought the enhanced exhaust system that Ferrari/McLaren/RedBull use... where's yours Lotus!??

Which by the way... why are cars still allowed to be blowing the diffuser this year, I thought that had been banned?

Either Hamilton needs to get his ass to Mercedes so Kimi can strap himself into that McLaren, or I really hope he's got a chance at the 2014 Merc or Red Bull! I SO want him to win another Championship, I don't feel 1 reflects how great a driver he is!

Alonso/McLaren/RedBull/ForceIndia/Maldonado all looking very strong this weekend!

Looks like the fight for Pole is going to a great one!

Ferrari: Alonso & Schumacher

McLaren: Kimi & Button

Red Bull: Vettel & Di Resta

Mercedes: Hamilton & Rosberg

Lotus: Grosjean & Kubica

The line ups I want for next year!

Hmm Di Resta at Red Bull!... Bit of a brand miss match! :p ... Although saying that maybe all those free energy drinks might help! :D

Just a thought... If Massa doesn't get a seat at Ferrari next year, will he even get a drive?... I'm really not sure that he would, I can't see where would go or who would take him on. And he's said before that he wouldn't be interested in the 3 lower teams.

Edited by Retro_Link

Hmm...Kimi and DiResta swapping would be interesting. Really I just wanted to shoehorn him in somewhere in the top 5 teams.

Uh oh, Lewis & Maldonaldo starting within ten feet of each other. :heh:

Incredible qualifying from Lewis though, another scorcher.

Ugh... Really unfortunate for Hamilton, it's an ever changing order of drivers below Alonso, Kimi in 3rd is actually pretty incredible. He has to win 1 race this season surely...

Was a standard Singapore race really, not too exciting, Schumacher's moment of madness being one of the only things making the race memorable.

It's been signed on the race calendar for 5 more years right?

@Murr Yeah Singapore has got another 5 years.

I'm definately gonna have to try and go to the race one year, it's bound to be incredible!

Watching it on TV it looks incredible, but it's a bit of a dull one tbh. I couldn't believe how little overtaking there was yesterday! Even Valencia was a half decent race this year, but here there was practically nothing! Also these Mercedes trains are getting annoying!

Not sure what Schumacher was doing there. He's admitted it was his fault and thus has been given a 10 place grid drop for Japan.

Very unlucky for Lewis, real shame!

Fernando has been quite lucky in that any slight unreliability seems to have come during a Practice session or in Q3.

It's looking more and more likely that it's gonna down to to Vettel vs Alonso for this one. Lewis is gonna need to pretty much win the last 6 races if Fernando is gonna keep making Top 5 finishes. Of course I'd love it to go to Kimi, but Lotus just aren't the team for the job I don't think. Even yesterday if they had any ambitions of helping Kimi get on a win the title they'd have got him past Grosjean to have as much chance at Rosberg as possible. Instead the two of them almost collided at Turn 1.

I can't really remember where this points lead of Fernando's has come from, he's had it for ages. And yet I thought everyone was finishing pretty well in the first half of the Season (until Vettel in Valencia).

Didn't really enjoy that race myself. Not a fan of the track compared to other street circuits (it's still better than Valencia) although the setting does appeal; think it'd be a great atmosphere to experience.

There were some good moments though, Massa's pass and hold of that slide on Senna was it was superb. That's more like it just a shame he's not been able to be more like that since he came back from the injury. And probably too little too late on saving his seat at Ferrari next year.

Know there isn't a huge amount of love for Maldonado but I did feel for him with that hydraulics problem. He had done pretty much everything right over the weekend. But what were Williams up to not putting him on to the Softs and sending him out again on the Super Softs meaning he'd have to pit 3 times. Was always going to lose out to Alonso on that one, although it doesn't really matter seeing as he had to retire in the end. Thinking Williams need to look at how they set up their strategies there as he'd have lost out on a podium (and a good haul of points) if he had been able to continue as a result.

Well done to Di Resta though. I was hoping/wishing he'd catch Alonso and make the pass just to see him get on the podium but still, very solid drive and I think with those kinds of performances, Force India may have some trouble keeping him for next year.

Japan next though. Suzuka, right? Hope so just to see if we can get some heroics from Kobayashi into the hairpin :D That and it's such a great track. Think it'll pretty much weed the title race down to Alonso and Vettel, even though it's looking like it's down to them already.

Yeah it's at Suzuka. :D

I think they've given up on the Fuji Speedway, not sure though.

Yeah that Massa/Senna moment was very entertaining. I was honestly the two cars to just come together in a pile up and basically block the bridge!

Oh and this Team Radio!

Read someone say it was like Ricky Gervais gatecrashed their radio! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Well tomorrow is the day when part of the driver market will become clearer according to Eddie Jordan over the weekend!

I really hope that's the case, Just want to hear some news now!

And just to restore the balance! There's this great video of Kimi giving some Renault guys a great day out!

Edited by Retro_Link

Whup. Looks like it's just blown up -

tumblr_mb17yiMcVy1qhniczo1_500.png

Sergio Perez will fill void left by Lewis Hamilton at McLaren

Well Fuck.

I don't think at any stage I was ever fully convinced this was gonna happen/he'd actually go and do it!

Don't know what to make of the move really, other than he has to be confident in Mercedes in 2014, otherwise he could have just thrown a couple of years away. That team in whatever form has never really delivered... 2009 they got very lucky on a technicality that was since banned.

Anyway, good luck to Lewis! not sure how I'll feel about him driving for Mercedes though.

Fantastic opportunity for Sergio Perez!!

Really got a chance to establish himself now/see what he's truely capable of... plus McLaren must have got a relative bargain!

Schumacher to Ferrari for one year... yeah I could see that happening.

As the marketing/money making potential would be massive! Mind you it's not the Brawn Ferrari anymore and how would he work alongside Alonso? I imagine the cars are very much being developed for Fernando and they're not gonna disrupt this so Schumacher would have to take what he gets.

Would be a bit strange for Massa seeing him come back and take his seat!

Edited by Retro_Link

WOW....

Same boat as you @Retro_Link, Wouldn't of actually expected this move to happen. McClaren have groomed Hamilton from such a young age, thought that he would be committed to them.

And I can't see how Mercedes are a step up or improvement for him. McClaren, Redbull, Ferrari.. tier 1, then Mercedes is like tier 2 team.

Not sure what to think of that really.

However... So Happy that Perez got this amazing opportunity, Ferrari must be kicking their selves that they didn't act sooner.

Shame as you guys are aware, Sauber are my underdog team, and I'd like them to do well. So losing Perez isn't going to help their progress.

Button the number 1 driver for McClaren next season then.

It'll all sink in soon, but right now it seems un-real.

I'm a little shocked Hamilton jumped to Mercedes. They've not done well at all in the past few years, so in a way it's a step back for Hamilton i think. I could be wrong, but i think it's him going backwards. I've read some comments on Sky Sports and if a seat at Red Bull was going, Hamilton would have jumped to them.

Good chance for Perez now at McLaren, and i agree with saying that Button will be the No1 driver now with Perez in 2nd. And what for Schumacher. Some say retirement, some say another team. Whatever he decides, i wouldn't mind seeing him do one more season racing.

TBH, I was expecting Hamilton to sign with Mercedes. Was just wondering why he was taking so long to make the decision. Guessing he was hoping McLaren would up their offer. It may sound cynical but to me, it does seem like a money move more than about the drive but that's just my two cents.

Good to see Perez getting the seat at McLaren, although I'd have thought it would have been Ferrari (but they'll have got some money out of the deal I'd have thought). Yes, he'll play the second driver for the team but I do hope he can push Button on and off the track so as to get what he feels he needs in the car.

As for Schumacher, well Sauber have said that they'd be willing to give him a seat if he'd want it (and to be fair, you could say Sauber have had a better car than Mercedes for parts of this season) but I'd be surprised if he's offered a 1 year Ferrari contract. I don't think he'll go for it, especially having to play second to Alonso in a car that's designed for him.

Just reading back over last nights stories I find it funny that McLaren actually confirmed Perez first! :p

Also Perez comes with huge money from Mexico sponsorship, so that's good for the team too.

I'm not sure who'll come out top in a Button Perez partnership. Button just doesn't really seem strong enough to be McLaren's No.1 driver though. Yes Perez has got things to learn, but providing he can get on top of the new car and it's tires I could see him out qualifying Jenson and giving him a good run in the race too!

Something clearly wasn't right between Lewis and McLaren though, so probably good for him personally to move on. I remember talking to Jenson's race Engineer on the plane to Monza, and asking him about the run of bad form Lewis' was having in 2011, and he just seemed annoyed as opposed to saying 'no worries he'll bounce back'. Since Jenson joined and his great year last year, I think wrongly, McLaren haven't been behind Lewis as much as they originally were for those first 3 years together.

Originally I was thinking Ferrari must be kicking themselves, but now I think they actually don't really care who they have in the car for 2013. It all but confirms they're looking for a one year driver and looking at Vettel in 2014 (which I still think is strange if true due to their development being very much behind Alonso for success; which I'm sure is how he wants it too). Perez probably wouldn't have wanted/or left Sauber for a 1yr deal.

Bit annoying in terms of 2013 though. The last year for a championship like we've had this year, before the sport gets shaken up in 2014; and both McLaren and Mercedes will be in a bit of a transition year.

I'm a little shocked Hamilton jumped to Mercedes. They've not done well at all in the past few years, so in a way it's a step back for Hamilton i think. I could be wrong, but i think it's him going backwards. I've read some comments on Sky Sports and if a seat at Red Bull was going, Hamilton would have jumped to them.
They sport is getting shaken up in 2014 with new Engines coming into the sport. Mercedes currently have the best engine in F1 and will be developing their own engines for 2014. These teams should technically always have an advantage working so closely between their car and engine; So this is what Lewis is banking on. If Mercedes do come out on top they could well dominate the next few years until the others catch up.

McLaren will have to continue buying customer engines.

If Ferrari or Renault have the best engine however, well who knows.

Hopefully all the engines will be able to pretty evenly compete, but it's not likely I imagine.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm pretty amazed it's actually happened but I can see the logic behind it. Big gamble but could pay off for him. In other news:

401449_10151079528727194_661672621_n.jpg

Great will'! :D

A few interesting tweets:

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1

Lewis will now have to be excommunicated from any McLaren developments and new knowledge for the next six races.The enemy within. Happy days

I'd be especially surprised if he has any chance of the title now.
Andrew Benson ‏@Andrewbensonf1

BTW, McLaren definitely didn't know they'd lost @LewisHamilton in Singapore. Was still hope then they'd keep him

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1

key person at McLaren in Singapore seemed positive Lewis was staying. There are many players in the HAM decision I suspect. It's good for F1

For those talking about Schumacher return to Ferrari, I know you should never say never in F1, but forget it

Adam Cooper ‏@Adamcooperf1

@Andrewbensonf1 A Ferrari 'spokesman' told me a few races ago 'we are more likely to get Alberto Ascari' than re-hire Michael!

Re Ferrari, pretty sure @Felipe1Massa is staying alongside @alo_oficial

Adam Cooper ‏@Adamcooperf1

#F1 Lot of talk about Michael to Sauber but how about Williams as a left field choice? Toto is ambitious and they share a language...

Also Ross Brawn has said

"I believe that the combination of Lewis and Nico will be the most dynamic and exciting pairing on the grid next year, and I am looking forward to what we can achieve together."

Umm... no Ross. Nico is gonna get destroyed by Lewis! He couldn't even step up and beat Schumacher.

Lewis just got himself a bitch! :p

Edited by Retro_Link