N-Europe

Dragon Quest Monsters 3DS

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another victory for Nintendo in Japan. They really are pulling out all the stops in getting what Japan wants.

You should try the remakes if they come over here, they are very well done in the whole aspect of monster taming and such. A lot of people praise the first 3 monster games over the joker ones.

With more DQ titles seem to be moving to from the Wii to the 3DS now I will not be surprised to see either a DQVII remake or DQVIII remake and perhaps seeing DQXI on it (But that's going to be like 6 years from now or even more for DQXI to come out.)

Edited by killer kirby

You should try the remakes if they come over here, they are very well done in the whole aspect of monster taming and such. A lot of people praise the first 3 monster games over the joker ones.

With more DQ titles seem to be moving to from the Wii to the 3DS now I will not be surprised to see either a DQVII remake or DQVIII remake and perhaps seeing DQXI on it (But that's going to be like 6 years from now or even more for DQXI to come out.)

Are they turnbased? If so, I'll pass. I cannot stand turn-based games

Oh wow, the original Dragon Quest Monsters was great, was a lot better than the original Pokemon games in some ways (breeding, massive post game content). The Playstation remake looked great as well. Hope Nintendo don't take too long with this one like they did with Joker 2.

SE are also making an Android DQM (Dragon Quest Monsters: Wanted) game, but there's no Nintendo to rescue that one.

I'm absolutely serious. I dislike turn-based games. Don't dislike Pokémon though, not sure why

Just pretend they are triple battles ;)

Very good news. I just hope it is fully-enhanced for 3DS, with StreetPass, online features etc, but overall, a 3DS Dragon Quest Monsters game was exactly what I wanted.

There is a school of thought that suggests VII and VIII may stay on Sony platforms. It's not necessarily what I want (give everyone a chance to play everything, I say), but it sounds feasible: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9087723

Dragon Quest XI on 3DS would be very welcome.

There is a school of thought that suggests VII and VIII may stay on Sony platforms. It's not necessarily what I want (give everyone a chance to play everything, I say), but it sounds feasible: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9087723

Dragon Quest XI on 3DS would be very welcome.

Yeah you see, if he really said that, DQIV would never have gone on the PS1 nor would DQV have been put on PS2, just saying. He usually does a pattern where when one mainline game gets released a remake gets put onto the system as well.

• 2 months later...

Do you know what I hope this doesn't have? Synthesising. I just can't explain how irritating I find it in the DS game. There they are, my group of monsters, but I can't resist merging one with the other, and subsequently can't remember which skills which has got, and it all goes round in circles and circles.

It's taken me years to play the DS game, and I still haven't completed it. There's just something about Synthesising that doesn't sit right with me.

Do you know what I hope this doesn't have? Synthesising. I just can't explain how irritating I find it in the DS game. There they are, my group of monsters, but I can't resist merging one with the other, and subsequently can't remember which skills which has got, and it all goes round in circles and circles.

It's taken me years to play the DS game, and I still haven't completed it. There's just something about Synthesising that doesn't sit right with me.

Oops, looks like you won't enjoy this one then. Joker 2 at least listed most of the skills on the top screen for each skill set.

Looks nice (from what I can tell). Will miss the top-down view, at least for the main hub.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Last night I finally completed Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker on the DS! It took me ages to get my head around the gameplay, but I think I now understand it: The idea is to max-out skill sets like Attack, so you get Attack II, then Attack III; max-out Defence, so you get Defence II, and so on...

It's still quite complicated, as you have to be very focused on which three skill sets you want your monster to keep throughout the game. For instance, you might put a few points into Defender in order to get Kabuff. However, unless you keep Defender for the duration, you won't be able to carry on that skill (not from that specific skill set, anyway). All this can create a fair bit of confusion. However, it has been quite satisfying to learn.

Just a quick point I'd like to make about this game: the music is brilliant, several leagues above Dragon Quest IX. Tunes are sweeping and melodic, creating a tone that is closer to VIII than any other Dragon Quest. Graphics are smooth, sharp and simple. Perhaps they are even some of the best polygon graphics on the DS, as everything is kept so clean, it's never hard on the eye. And apart from some ridiculous censorship (you can't call a monster "Spook"), the translation is so good that, grammatically, DQM:J might be the only Dragon Quest that's up there with VIII. Square-Enix had some truly excellent linguists working for them at the time of this and VIII. So, all in all, this is the perfect companion to DQVIII, even though the gameplay is very different.

So, why am I posting all this in here? Well, I want to play Dragon Quest Monsters on the 3DS. More than that, I really wanted to learn the gameplay and get off on the right note with the 3DS game. Please, Nintendo of Europe, I for one am ready for this game! :)

Have you got DQ Monsters Joker 2 in your collection, Gra? Its meant to be very much a superior sequel which I'm sure Ike can vouch for. I've had DQM:J in my backlog for years now having picked it up in a two for £30 bargain in HMV once upon a time. I never got the urge to start it, wanting to get some experience with the "real" DQ games on DS first before exploring a spin-off. Must get round to that soon... I'm sure it would be luxurious on a DSi XL!

I'd say Joker 1 had a better story but pretty much everything else is improved.

Deciding on skill sets is tough, but you can always use a different monster in the team with a skillset to give it say Kabuff to make up for it if you can. Skill sets can be used to make up for a monsters lower stats (i.e. giving a Metal Slime monster HP Boost). Sometimes you might need to keep breading your monster to max out all of it's skills or improve the skills so it's pretty time consuming as well.

Have you got DQ Monsters Joker 2 in your collection, Gra?

No, didn't realise it was released in Europe, actually. More than that, though, I genuinely didn't know if I would ever learn how to play DQM. I'm tempted now... :)

Surprised to hear that you've got DQM:J. Cool.

Deciding on skill sets is tough, but you can always use a different monster in the team with a skillset to give it say Kabuff to make up for it if you can. Skill sets can be used to make up for a monsters lower stats (i.e. giving a Metal Slime monster HP Boost). Sometimes you might need to keep breading your monster to max out all of it's skills or improve the skills so it's pretty time consuming as well.

The way it says "+1", "+3" or "+7" etc after your monster reminds me of DQIX's Revocation mechanic. Ominous. :laughing:

I'm aiming for two attackers with Attack Boost III, Defence Boost III and either Materialist, Berserker or Anti-Metal; and a healer with Uber Healer, Wisdom Boost III and Agility Boost III. At the moment, I've got a Buffalogre with Attack Boost II and Defence Boost II, and a Golem, which has Materialist, but he's otherwise not very strong yet. Captured two Gigantes but Synthesised them for the Golem and Buffalogre.

No, didn't realise it was released in Europe, actually. More than that, though, I genuinely didn't know if I would ever learn how to play DQM. I'm tempted now... :)

Surprised to hear that you've got DQM:J. Cool.

Joker 2 is £10 at Play.com/, buy , buy, buy! Do you no less!