NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

Don't bother trying Lunatic mode; I don't think it is actually possible to progress past chapter 2. I have 80 hours experience on hard mode, so thought it wouldn't be too hard. I was wrong!

I'm playing this game right now cause I got it free in the buy 3 get 1 free thing. Got a couple of questions about the gameplay and story:

1) Is there a way to check what stat bonuses a unit will provide when pairing up with someone other than starting a battle and pairing them up to see the box?

2) What are the numbers in blue boxes in the full stat screen for? Some of my characters have them because of their skills but Nowi and Panne have lots of these and I'm not sure why.

3) Why doesn't Cordelia have a support thing with Chrom? It says in her profile in the roster list that she fancies Chrom so it seems a bit weird

4) About the choice you have to make in Chapter 9... Does it make a difference if you pick yes or no? I picked no.

5) Should I make Donnel a fighter or a merc? I was thinking of turning him into a fighter cause I only have 2 axe users and lots of lance & sword wielders.

6) Is it better to use a seal as soon as a character gets to level 10 or later on?

Oh and I'm playing on Normal Casual cause I suck at RPGs lol

1) Is there a way to check what stat bonuses a unit will provide when pairing up with someone other than starting a battle and pairing them up to see the box?

No. You can sort of work out which stats will be boosted more though. For instance, pairing with a cavalier will increase mobility by a lot. Pairing with a fighter will increase strength by a lot, etc.

2) What are the numbers in blue boxes in the full stat screen for? Some of my characters have them because of their skills but Nowi and Panne have lots of these and I'm not sure why.

Means that stat is currently enjoying a boost. Characters like Nowi and Panne have lots because all their stats get a big boost when they transform into their manakete/whatever forms.

3) Why doesn't Cordelia have a support thing with Chrom? It says in her profile in the roster list that she fancies Chrom so it seems a bit weird

Might be plot related? Not sure, don't worry about it.

4) About the choice you have to make in Chapter 9... Does it make a difference if you pick yes or no? I picked no.

Don't remember this, sorry.

5) Should I make Donnel a fighter or a merc? I was thinking of turning him into a fighter cause I only have 2 axe users and lots of lance & sword wielders.

Merc of course! (that's just what I did, anyway)

6) Is it better to use a seal as soon as a character gets to level 10 or later on?

Better to let them level up more (max is lvl 20). Easier to level them up when they're still a basic class, and they'll still get a decent stats boost when they turn into an advanced class. So, for example, a level 17 Cavalier will turn into a much stronger level 1 Paladin than a level 10 Cavalier will.

Edited by D_prOdigy

What Aaron said is correct.

Let me add to it.

1. You'll have to start the battle but you don't have to pair up. Select the character you want to pair with someone else. While selected, move the cursor over the other character, press A then a box appears on the top screen showing the support level between both units and the stat bonuses they'll bring if paired together.

4. On Chapter 9 it doesn't matter what you choose. Same outcome with both answers.

I would go Mercenary, then Hero. That way he'll eventually be able to use axes and swords, and also have great skills. Can't remember if you can turn Fighters into Heroes.

As D-prOdigy says, get them all to Level 20 before you re-class. Apparently, the game keeps track of how many times you've re-classed, and that eventually slows down your levelling, but getting someone to Level 20 within a specific class won't slow it down any more than if you only got them to Level 10.

Oh and I'm playing on Normal Casual cause I suck at RPGs lol

Normal/Newcomer is so much more enjoyable than Hard/Classic, in my opinion.

Thanks for your help guys :) Didn't know 20 was the maximum, I'll do that from now on before changing class. I'll go with Merc then switch to Hero for Axe and Sword :D

Have only just got around to playing the demo of this as never been in the position to really try Fire Emblem. I'm taking a stance of only getting games that actually peak my interest now as both my time and money are less available.

My conclusion is that I need this game. I always new the gameplay was ace from the heritage of the series and previous reviews but you have to try something to see if it speaks to you right? Well the character writing, art and general vibe of the game have totally sold it to me. Plus I was always a fan of games like X-COM so I think the turn based strategy has been calling me out.

Now to find it cheap somewhere...

Was looking at the artbook & cover (come on, it's gorgeous) again but I noticed something that I never did before.

Kellam is actually on the cover...

fea_cover.png

I genuinely had a LOL moment. It's just so funny to actually notice him on the cover. It goes along with his character/in-game jokes about being unnoticed.

Bravo_Bravo.gif

On a side note I finally started using Virion.

This is the second time they translated Fire Emblem 6 as Binding Sword which is a terrible name, much prefer Sealed Sword but I guess Binding Sword is the official name.

Animal Crossing has kept me away from this for too long! i need to play all that shiney new DLC

I take it that he's just below Chrom's knee, right?

Correctamundo!

I have really enjoyed the past few chapters. Just finished Chapter 19 right now and it was another excellent one.

Big maps, lost of enemies, reinforcements coming in, changes to the terrain. It's been great.

Walhart looked like the strongest opponent in the game so far story-wise and stat-wise yet he couldn't so much as lay a finger on these two:

Dream_Team.jpg

Forget Dream Team Bros. it's more like Dream Team Sisters for me! They're untouchable.

This is the bonus box content I've missed since the last time I played. Oh how I miss this game.

Download Content for 4/7

Bonus Item: Mystletainn

Outrealm Gate

Lost Bloodlines 2

Download Content for 11/7

Bonus Map: The Radiant Hero

Outrealm Gate

Lost Bloodlines 3

Download Content for 18/7

Bonus Team: Other

Outrealm Gate

Smash Brethren 1

Smash Pack

Download Content for 25/7

Bonus Item: Gáe Bolg

Outrealm Gate

Smash Brethren 2

Download Content for 1/8

Bonus Item: Armads

Outrealm Gate

Smash Brethren 3

So I've got the code for this now thanks to the special '3 games get 1 free' promotion (love you NINTENDO).

And I'm really dying to play this after I've finished Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Never did I have any interest in the Fire Emblem series for no particular reason, it just never crossed my mind.

But after having played Sacred Stones thanks to the ambassador program (love you NINTENDO) I am now a huuuge fan!

As someone who has been an avid player of all things Advance Wars for over 10 years now, this series fills lots of voids that Advance Wars doesn't provide and vice versa.

Now PLEASE Intelligent Systems make a new Advance Wars which is of the same high quality as Awakening :D

Do people try to keep all their characters around the same level

Yup, that's exactly what I try to do. It's gives you more options.

but as the character roster grew I really didn't have time to level everyone up and grind all the time.

Likewise, but around chapter 15 I decided to dedicate the gap between the chapters to a specific pairing and bring them up to the highest level/skill requirement etc. This way I made gradual progress and my roster grew in strength.

I think I recently said that all my characters were paired up? well that would be incorrect.

I FINALLY decided to give my Demonic Duo a run for their money.

Demonic_Duo.jpg

Let's see how it goes.

Good god this game is brutal.

I've only done a few missions yet, but already I find myself being a pretty poor tactician and getting someone killed.

I love it that Fire Emblem is one of the few franchises where I genuinly get mad at myself for not having taken a better look at the stats or the map.

I'm having a go at the first Side Story mission and it's quite the challenge to get that little farmer kid to level up once so that he can become a Shepherd :D

I will raise this boy to be a warrior!

wait till you do some of the later DLC's lost bloodlines 3 nearly destroyed me first time i did it, and i've maxed out levels and reclassed everyone so many times their internal levels must be around 50

Download Content for 8/8

Bonus Item: Nidhogg

Outrealm Gate

Death's Embrace

Challenge Pack

Download Content for 14/8

Bonus Item: Forseti

Outrealm Gate

Five-Anna Firefight

Download Content for 22/8

Bonus Item: Double Bow

Outrealm Gate

Roster Rescue

Download Content for 29/8

Bonus Item: Book of Naga

Outrealm Gate

Apotheosis

Aaaaaand that's it! We're done!

We've received all the Bonus Box items and all 25 maps are available for purchase. Season 1 DLC has come to an end.

Just bought this on a whim after finishing Zelda, only made it to the third map before I got someone killed and ragequit...should probably play this on the casual mode where people dont stay dead!

Just bought this on a whim after finishing Zelda, only made it to the third map before I got someone killed and ragequit...should probably play this on the casual mode where people dont stay dead!

That's what I did and I must say I'm glad for it - all the characters are too much fun and adorable to let any of them die.

Officially back in this game.

Put off playing it in favour of Oracle of Ages and Eternal Darkness, but now I'm back and ready to level up and watch my characters grow into beautiful pacifists :laughing:

Heading for the 3rd Side Story mission.

FUCK! Fuck this game is hard as fuckin' fuck!

Up to mission 9 now, and I could've made it if it wasn't for me not having put Chrom in the vicinity of Tharja to be able to talk to her so I could recruit that sweet depressing booty.

This resulted in somewhat of a clusterfuck as reinforcements were sandwiching my troops.

But now I know, now I know how to station my units when they come.

The hardest part is getting to Tharja though, as she moves with a good handful of units which means that I have to talk to her AND exterminate most of her entourage or else they will focus on one of my units and make him suffer.

That's really the toughest thing about this game. You know that, when the AI sees a weak spot, it goes for that weak spot with all its might. That's why you have to carefully place your units and sometimes do a lot of calculating in relation to the DEF/RES <> ATT.

It's so brutal and difficult, but I love it to death!

not after having tried the same map twice, though. Then I need a short break.

I honestly think Normal + Newcomer is the best way to enjoy this game. Fire Emblem can just be too intense otherwise! Replay, replay, replay... It breeds obsession!