N-Europe

Disappearing

Goafer

as well as Into the Wild (seriously everyone watch this, it's brilliant).

That's the one where the protagonist goes to Alaska right? Interesting movie. I remember watching it back in school because the teacher wanted the class to compare it to a book we read called The Bean Trees which is another book that deals with this sort of thing, although isn't nearly as good.

It's not so easy as that, you've got to think these things take funding and frankly finding accommodation straight away is nothing short of a hassle, I mean take me for instance, I've had 2/3 weeks to find somewhere to live in Cambridge and it's been nothing but tricky and that's with references, parent helped and a car.

What if you don't have a car, no real form of money etc?!

Yeah but what I'm trying to say is if these things are difficult in your regular life, then why are people under the illusion of "disappearing".

Yeah but what I'm trying to say is if these things are difficult in your regular life, then why are people under the illusion of "disappearing".

I suppose it's mostly just a thought/daydream, it is for me, to go to canada and forget quite a few things in this country and start over, that'd be cool.

You should read [this].

Haven't made it all through that, but reminds me of I believe some british guy who did something similar last year or something. They made an hour long docu out of it, he 'disappeared' and challenged some PIs to find him. Was quite interesting to see, though it's possible also that bits of it were played up a little.

You want to get some basic skills first; building your own shelter, catching/foraging food, etc. Not necessary to go full-blown Bear Mears or anything but if you can get by in the wilderness, you'll be ok, and set for the hobo lifestyle!

... City-style would be more skip-diving and squatting, but then neither are really establishing a new identity anywhere, rather just staying invisible to society.

To change your name legally in the UK you need to change it by Deed Poll, costs about 20 quid and can be done very easily. You wouldn't need fake ID's, just change your name legally and leave.

But then you wouldn't be disappearing, as there would be a record of your name change, so everybody would still know your name.

You want to get some basic skills first; building your own shelter, catching/foraging food, etc. Not necessary to go full-blown Bear Mears or anything but if you can get by in the wilderness, you'll be ok, and set for the hobo lifestyle!

... City-style would be more skip-diving and squatting, but then neither are really establishing a new identity anywhere, rather just staying invisible to society.

This teaches you all you need to know.

But then you wouldn't be disappearing, as there would be a record of your name change, so everybody would still know your name.

If you changed it to something really generic [EG John Smith or something] then changed it to your desired new name [EG Barry Awesome] it would take awhile to follow the paper trail.