NEurope
Serebii

Torchwood: Miracle Day

Well, TW aired here finally, a week after US. Thoughts?

Thought it was a good episode, very setup-ish but considering this is a 10 episode long series arc, it's understandable.

I can see that, now Jack is mortal (at least for the time being), I expect that he gets killed and decapitated but, when the things return to normal, he comes back to life as the Face of Boe

I loved how it was a bad 80's cop movie meets a low budget sci-fi with aspirations of being TSCC.

(in other words I thought it was bad :heh:)

I... don't quite know what to think.

Torchwood to me has always been very... weird. Like I can never tell what type of show it wants to be. The overall tone is so bizarre and not in a natural way like Doctor Who.

So many things bugged me about this episode. RTD's constant use of terribly shot news reports in order to tell stories, the fact nobody seemed THAT bothered about a lack of death (I'd imagine instant panic... hospitals filled up THAT DAY)... the helicopter pilots they shot down didn't seem to make it either which confused me. And Gwen Cooper is not an action hero... every time she holds a gun and tries to look tough I can't tell if we're supposed to be turned on or threatened or what... she just looks ... sort of silly.

torchwoodmiracledayposter.png

What did everybody think of it?

I thought it was a decent enough episode but some of the special effects in it were quite bad. It was as if somebody decided to go a little crazy on Adobe After Effects or something. I would have thought there would have been more uproar and panic but I can take it I suppose. The rest of the season looks good, here's hoping that it hasn't changed that much.

It's still missing Tosh, Ianto and Owen though! :(

(moved the DW posts over but as its done chronologically Dazz's post is a few down)

I thought it was just silly. Not unenjoyable and not un-Torchwood. It was just stupid, and any claim it makes to be an "adult" drama are null and void. It's a kids show with permission to use blood and bad language and have pedos cos dats sik!!

Things that bothered me included the news reports (RTD has had a love-affair with them since Series 1 of Doctor Who and can't get over the idea that THAT'S how you tell stories), the lack of any panic that this had happened other than one doctor (surely with the amount of people dying in the world every second there would be instant panic), the constant attempts to make Gwen Cooper an action hero, nobody remembering aliens exist again and when the helicopter exploded, Jack and Gwen didn't seem too bothered that the pilots would still be alive.

I dunno. It's a very silly program and 4 series in I still don't quite know what sort of show it wants to be... it's always been a Welsh show pretending to play America-gun-sex-show but now it's all American it feels like how a teenager writes a "grown up show".

I've not seen the first two seasons so jumped in at Children of Earth which I loved.

Thought tonight's episode was ok. It's clear that with 10 episodes instead of 5 to tell the story it'll have to be done at a slower pace.

Reckon Ianto is missed big time and I sort of wish it was still UK based.

Should I watch the previous Torchwoods before this or will i still be able to enjoy it...with doctor who on its mid season hiatus I need something to fill the void.

Might as well. If you've watched Doctor Who you know everything you need to know. The only thing I didn't think it explained that well for new viewers was Jack's immortality but Doctor Who explains that if you've watched that.

Plus you can pick it up anyway. Its not like RTD is a master of subtlety.

I very much enjoyed it. I think it's straddling the line between action adventure and family sitcom quite well and knows how to present an intriguing concept. The only bit that wrankled with me is how or why the Governor would release a convicted pedophile-murderer, even in light of the circumstances though there's tons of room to explore that more later. Just as long as they don't bog it all down in some inane JJ Abrams style hubris this looks set up to roll on very smoothly. Anyway, looking forward to the rest of it.

Yet to get "in" to Torchwood. Mainly because I have uncomfortable thoughts about John Barrowman whenever he's on screen.

Big, throbbing, uncomfortable thoughts.

Not sure what to think of it yet. The idea behind the series is definitely intriguing, and there were some memorable scenes, like the bit with the exploded body, but I just don't think it felt like proper Torchwood. I'm missing all the old gang, and as I expected, despite what everyone working on the show promised, it really does feel far too American.

Also, what was with that huge preview for the rest of the series? I almost feel like I don't need to watch the rest of it now!

Yet to get "in" to Torchwood. Mainly because I have uncomfortable thoughts about John Barrowman whenever he's on screen.

Big, throbbing, uncomfortable thoughts.

It amused me that when looking at his bruises he lifted his vest so that it would exposure his nipple. Its nice to pay our license fee so John Barrowman can live out his exhibitionist ways.

I didn't really enjoy it, it was very americanised (i know funding etc etc) long panning shots of coversations were jarring. The constant hammering of the point that people aren't dying (three news reports? all saying the same thing?) Its like they think that we or the americans, are going to forget what's happening. It just felt hollow, I liked the Peado in a love to hate way. The decapitation was cool and gruesome. But they took all of the things that made torchwood, you know, torchwood, the sexual tension, the grey moral areas, now gwen can shoot down a coptor?

I also hated the 5 minute 'preview' for the rest of the season, I got bored halfway through it, not excited.

Torchwood is something I just watch because 'it's there' if it wasn't then I wouldn't watch it - because I couldn't - nor would I mourn it as a loss.

Last nights episode was watchable, equally though if they decided to not show the rest of the series it wouldn't matter that much to me... I'll watch it, to see how it pans out and ties into Dr Who but other than that... just... meh. :blank:

I'm sure there are plenty of programmes that are worse than it at the moment, but equally... I'm sure there are better.

Russel T Davies needs to stop doing plots involving "the world does something in unison at the SAME TIME OMG!"

The Christmas Invasion - everyone goes to rooftops under a blood control 'spell'.

Children of Earth - everyone's children talk at the same time.

The End of Time - everyone turns into the Master.

Miracle Day - everyone stops dying.

They're not bad ideas, any of them, but because only ever uses news reports to advance the story, his stories always feel so samey.

I liked it. I thought it was set perfectly as an introduction to the series. Really looking forward to the next episode.

Gutted at how americanised it has become. I hope we get more of the Welsh flavour back to it or i could see people losing the identity of the programme.

Surprised this thread has died. Though it was slow building, it is really starting to get good

I'm glad the world they've created is finally starting to seem different.

In previous episodes we've only been told the world has changed by annoying repetitive news reports. But I'm glad we're finally starting to see it.