NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Yvonne

go!

If memory serves Supergrunch is the one you're after.

You have reminded me to check out The Path of Go on XBLA, though; apparently the AI is very well done, despite not being run on a supercomputer.

I've played it once.

I wasn't very good at it.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?LoseYourFirst50GamesAsQuicklyAsPossible

If memory serves Supergrunch is the one you're after.

You have reminded me to check out The Path of Go on XBLA, though; apparently the AI is very well done, despite not being run on a supercomputer.

ooh, you don't say...would check out if I had xbox, will have to settle for the gnugo on ogs. Still haven't beaten the best bot though apparently harder to write a good go bot than it is a good chess bot

I've played it a few times. Mostly against my mate, who happens to be the president of the Go society at Oxford. He gave me a handicap, but he still beat me since I literally know zero strategy. It's definitely an interesting game, I'll have to learn it properly some time.

I've never played it, however I did program a bot to play arimaa. A game no one has heard of but it is designed to be difficult for computers to play :p

Yay, another go player! I was around about 8 kyu last time I played seriously - how about you? Would be happy to play whenever, my preferred server is KGS. I was actually thinking of getting back into it this summer.

Edited by Supergrunch

KGS says 14, though I feel more like a 16, haven't played that many ranked games. Six stones eh? Gimme a year or so....

hehe. But really, would be up for a game sometime :)

KGS says 14, though I feel more like a 16, haven't played that many ranked games. Six stones eh? Gimme a year or so....

hehe. But really, would be up for a game sometime :)

Cool, well I'll have to re-register on KGS because I found out my account died, but let me know when you're free for a game. My rank may have taken a bit of a hit from lack of practice, I say we start with 5 stones and see how it goes.

Edit: Actually now I think, I was a BGA 8 kyu, which is a bit different to the KGS system, so 6 stones might be better.

Edited by Supergrunch

I play, I'm a fair amateur. Friend of mine is the CEO of Magic Stone - a Taiwan Go company.

Truth be told, I'm much better at Mahjong than Go. First time I played, I won 3000 RMB.

I wasn't allowed to play with my boss after that.

Right, I'm reregistered now, my KGS name is "unmarked." I'll play anyone who's interested.

Iun, have you got any idea what strength you are in Chinese ranks? I think they're a lot harder to get, to the extent where a Chinese 1 dan is something like a European 3 dan.

Right, I'm reregistered now, my KGS name is "unmarked." I'll play anyone who's interested.

Iun, have you got any idea what strength you are in Chinese ranks? I think they're a lot harder to get, to the extent where a Chinese 1 dan is something like a European 3 dan.

I have.... absolutely no idea. Whatsoever. I just play for fun occasionally.

Grunch and Jay! You really do need to teach me it sometime though. Is it harder than chess?

Easier to learn the rules for Go but harder to truly master it, I think. Chess is a lot more 'finite' and realistically you don't have to think about too much at once. Go throws too many choices at me, so I panic AND RUN

Rummy we could literally play for realz, I bought some nice bowls and some glass pieces!

But who wants to play me for fakez? I've been trying to get a rank again, but nobody will play [?]s, so I had to play with a 13k and a 11k, and now I feel like a sandbagger, especially after both ran away without wanting a review. :heh: Ah well, if I end up getting a higher rank than that, the ranking algorithm will stop it from negatively affecting their rank. I'm still making several stupid mistakes that I need to iron out, and I can't remember much fuseki or joseki...

Rummy we could literally play for realz, I bought some nice bowls and some glass pieces!

That sounds like a plan, I just need to find me some time for it!

One of those games that I've always meant to play. Shall get on it.

Though I will say... all that talk of dans does make it sound pretty intimidating

It's an upsetting game sometime! You think you're on top so much and then the entire game flips over and you're screwed!

grunch I'm busy this weekend but next weekend do you want to do me a teaching game? If you're sanbagging 13s I know for sure it's gonna be a wipe but I don't have any buddies with higher rank (cause I discovered it and introduced it to the people I know that I play). Hopefully a handicap can keep it interesting for you :)?

Yeah that'd be cool, although it'll have to be on Sunday afternoon. Anyway, I'm sure 5-6 stones will make it an interesting game, and it could always be fun to play (or at least start) an even match too, just to teach fuseki and so on. How long have you been playing go?

Edit: I've just noticed the talk of computers earlier on. I wouldn't recommend playing them much, as they tend to mess up your sense of the order of play and so on.

Edit 2: Also, does that XBLA game only do 9x9s? If so, that means it'll play a lot better, but the games won't be nearly as interesting.

Edited by Supergrunch

Sign in to follow this