NEurope
Dyson

The Music Thread

(02:53:28) @jayseven: but since music thread died music is... less talked about on teh boards

(02:53:32) Dyson: Yeah :(

(02:53:40) Dyson: This is why I wanted teh music thread back as a test

(02:53:44) @jayseven: Dyson

(02:53:47) @jayseven: fucking make one

(02:53:47) EddieColeslaw: revive it!

(02:53:49) @jayseven: we're allowing this shit

(02:53:53) Dyson: what

(02:53:53) Dyson: WHAT

You heard them.

Seriously. The old music thread had its problems but I'll be damned if it didn't help me find new music, and discuss anything and everything to do with music. I don't even care if we start talking about Tori Amos again. I just want musical discussion to return.

So I'll start it off, but feel free to chip in with your own MUSEings (LOLOLOLOLO).

Did anyone check out Elbow's new album? Came out in March, entitled Build A Rocket, Boys! and was the follow up to the extremely successful Seldom Seen Kid. This album doesn't have quite as many stadium fillers but has already been used on a multitude of TV programs with tracks like Open Arms and Lippy Kids.

My current favourite off the album is probably Open Arms. It generally gets a repeat from me when it comes on on my playlist, so enjoy:

The album itself isn't as listenable as Seldom Seen Kid but it's definitely worth listening to if you were a fan of any of their previous efforts.

Let's do this.

ADD MEEEEEEEEE http://www.last.fm/user/lock_nroll

And JOIN THISSSSSSSSSS http://www.last.fm/group/N-Europe

[03:02] <EddieColeslaw> i love the smiths song with the ten-ton truck

[03:02] <EddieColeslaw> i like the hot hot heat song about bandages

[03:04] <EddieColeslaw> Dyson - i want to see Sex Bob-Omb live

[03:04] <EddieColeslaw> and P!ATD, but only the song entitled "lying..."

Love Elbow. Favourite overall of theirs is probably Some Riot but Coming Second is coincidentally, a close second.

Anyone can feel free to add me on lastfm :p

My current favourite off the album is probably Open Arms. It generally gets a repeat from me when it comes on on my playlist, so enjoy:

Odd coincidence; I was just listening to The Bones Of You on repeat a short while ago.

Now I'm stuck listening to acid:

JUST TO POINT OUT THAT IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANY OP IN THE CHAT ROOM WHO SAID THOSE WORDS WHILST STEALING MY USERNAME.

ANY OF HTEM.

CAPS.

ARE SO FUN!

Favourite song;

The Bones Of You is great. Some Riot was one of my least favourite tracks off Seldom Seen Kid until recently when I've gotten in to it more. It's a great track. There's not a single track off of Seldom Seen Kid I dislike.

I saw them live earlier this year and was disappointed at the lack of Powder Blue, Leaders Of The Free World, Crawling With Idiot, Grace Under Pressure (one of my favourites), Forget Myself and more. Such potentially great live tracks, though just seeing Guy Garvey made up for it. Absolutely amazing man.

not straying too far from the theme of the above tracks, you all might enjoy this offering of early yeasayer!

Edited by Yvonne

The... Music... Thread... lives? :blank:

*metaphorically explodes with joy*

I've so much that I've been wanting to post for months but alas there has been nowhere to post it, and now there is so...

I'm not gonna post anything... :woops:

... not yet, not yet! :heh:

Give me time, I will... but I feel like I need to go and lie down, stunned, in a river for a while. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSriPylL4MsT_CwUuP2jajjER2WWsUB-Tx45nEH4UevTJOYDmAwDA

I didn't pick up Elbow's latest album.

I love them, they're great, I've seen them twice.

So I don't know why.

But if their latest album is more of a return to their earlier stuff then I'll give it a listen.

Cast of Thousands was my favourite Elbow album.

So I've been listening to Sonic Youth recently...

They're pretty awesome.

Cast of Thousands was my favourite Elbow album.

Finally! someone who agrees with me, it's my favourite album of theirs too though possibly because it was also the first Elbow album I ever listened to when I was introduced to them a few years back and... it just stuck in my head. :)

Naturally I backtracked their previous albums and have bought each one since and although I enjoy everything they come up with, for me nothing comes close to this...

:heart:

Elbow were enjoyable live (where I first heard them, at a festival), but I wasn't taken by the album. Nothing offensive to me, but just not really up my alley. :) So not following their releases.

Finally! someone who agrees with me, it's my favourite album of theirs too though possibly because it was also the first Elbow album I ever listened to when I was introduced to them a few years back and... it just stuck in my head. :)

Naturally I backtracked their previous albums and have bought each one since and although I enjoy everything they come up with, for me nothing comes close to this...

:heart:

Yeah same here, first album as well.

I've just listened to their latest album and it is indeed awesome.

A like it a lot, maybe more than The Seldom Seen Kid.

Also Elbow are better live, they ooze personality and soul live.

Also the front man is very funny.

I think I've seen them twice... or maybe three times, I can't remember.

Aaliyah (wa/i)s pretty great. It genuinely feels really annoying she's dead, because she had so much to do and say.

Just to upset the whole thread, I can't stand Elbow. Find them unbelievably boring and just don't see the appeal.

Aaliyah (wa/i)s pretty great. It genuinely feels really annoying she's dead, because she had so much to do and say.

Yes. Aaliyah was great. And not in a "Rihanna is great" way. More in a "Beyonce is great" way. As in, actually talented beyond the joke of them.

The production on her self-titled album is too much.

But we also all love her very first song. I think she was 14. Dealing with.

This is weird, I was just listening to this:

and thinking, 'Paj/Chairdriver probably knows her/likes her music'. What do you know.

Only song I've heard by her anyway but I like it. It's a grower.

Just to upset the whole thread, I can't stand Elbow. Find them unbelievably boring and just don't see the appeal.

tumblr_lntd2cwcd91qhxsm4.gif

I was in a pub yesterday and a song came on, and my friend said it was by Elbow. And I was like, "OH MY GAWD, forum peeps love this band". It seemed like an old song though. Are they old?

This is weird, I was just listening to this:

and thinking, 'Paj/Chairdriver probably knows her/likes her music'. What do you know.

Only song I've heard by her anyway but I like it. It's a grower.

That's one of her best damn. It's the one that got me into her (I had/knew Try Again and More Than A Woman but had only glazed over them previously), as I saw it get like...8th place in Pitchfork's 100 best songs of the 90's list. It's fantastic.

I was in a pub yesterday and a song came on, and my friend said it was by Elbow. And I was like, "OH MY GAWD, forum peeps love this band". It seemed like an old song though. Are they old?

Been 'round for a good 10 years or so.

I think I first listened to them around 14, 15.

That's one of her best damn. It's the one that got me into her (I had/knew Try Again and More Than A Woman but had only glazed over them previously), as I saw it get like...8th place in Pitchfork's 100 best songs of the 90's list. It's fantastic.

Yeah that's where I got it from too. Goddam hipsters :heh: Went and made a playlist of the top 20 songs from that list...there's some really great stuff on there. Atmosphere:

The song almost seems a bit obvious(?) but it's so dam successful at creating it's atmosphere that I don't care.

This song makes me sad. Especially that ending harmony between Kurt and Dave. Such a beautiful song. :)