NEurope
Dyson

The Music Thread

Because taste in music is massively subjective, and can't be looked at objectively. Because some people seem to like to insult others because of their taste in music, instead of voicing their dislike for a song. Because it becomes an elitist, pretentious club where only people who insult others the most, or are the most popular decide what is good music and anyone that tries to talk about anything else is ridiculed. This is why the thread was closed. And most people, don't want that to happen again.

Of course, if you were in that elitist club or still are, then you would like it to continue.

Don't rise to it then.

---

I'm seeing KT Tunstall tonight. Should be nice, always quite liked her. Given her last album a few spins in preparation. Its pretty decent/nothing special/fun.

Anyway... summer anthems? Still too early to tell... but this one has been coming up a lot:

I enjoyed this, not something I'd normally consider listening to but then... this is what the Music Thread is for so it's good to see it getting back on-track. :)

This is a little shameless, but never mind:

My friend (and former forumite) plays bass in a new band called The Switch. Happily, they're awesome.

Currently listening again to Junior by Röyksopp before a long overdue unsealing of Senior which I only got around to purchasing a few months ago despite owning Junior since it came out.

Should be interesting... anyway here are a few of my favourite tracks from Junior.

'6 afraid of 7, cause 7 8 9

I'm about to lose it a second time

Staring at the wall, hour after hour

Running up and down, over and over'

:heart:

Edited by S.C.G

Junior is awesome. Few tracks I've heard from Senior sound nice, but not my thing atm. Too docile.

Currently listening again to Junior by Röyksopp before a long overdue unsealing of Senior which I only got around to purchasing a few months ago despite owning Junior since it came out.

Should be interesting.

tumblr_ksvoxjVwSV1qzxyl1o1_500.jpg

:heh:

Edited by chairdriver

Back from seeing KT Tunstall - she was great! Perfect voice, great entertainer. Really loved seeing her and hearing loads of songs that have been on rotation in my life the past 5-6 years. :)

Setlist for those interested was roughly:

Madame Trudeaux

Glamour Puss

Uummannaq Song

(Still A) Weirdo

Come On, Get In

Other Side Of The World

Black Horse And The Cherry Tree / Seven Nation Army (White Stripes Cover)

Hidden Heart

A Gorillaz song I didn't recognise, something about 'here with me'

Hold On

Funnyman

Golden Frames

If Only

Push That Knot Away / Blue Monday (New Order Cover) feat. The Pictish Trail

----

Fade Like A Shadow

'We Love You Orkney' Interlude / Suddenly I See

Really good gig, Black Horse/7 Nation Army was probably my performance of the night, for YESSSSSS-ness. Though it was all good. When she said she was going to do a Gorilla song, I was hoping for Clint Eastwood, but was still ok. I love Trudeaux as an opener. I love spoken word. Other Side... was stunningly an electronic/synth rework. Fitted better.

I'm really adoring Metallica again. To be honest, the love never went but after playing Guitar Hero: Metallica, it's made me dig out The Black Album so I shall be listening to it in my car tomorrow.

I love the whole album but The Unforgiven and Sad but True has to be one of the best songs I've ever listened to. Just love their songs.

Because taste in music is massively subjective, and can't be looked at objectively. Because some people seem to like to insult others because of their taste in music, instead of voicing their dislike for a song.

That's just it. Taste in music is massively subjective, but the inherent quality of the music itself is not. I mean, it's utterly and virtually undeniable that Billie Holiday's music is better than... say... Katy Perry.

All the opinions in the world wouldn't change that.

I think the main "issue" here is that people have little to no sense of impartiality.

Meaning... in your head you get two separate concepts mixed up into a single one. Which is taste and actual quality. Most people tend to be a tad bit self-centered and immediately brand something they like as "good" and something they don't like as "bad", when in fact the two are completely unrelated. One can objectively understand and appraise a particular song and deem it's quality as good even if one doesn't like it. And vice versa. For example:

Exile on Main street is one the best albums I've ever heard... a monumental achievement in every possible meaning of the word and a timeless and classic staple of rock music. It is (or rather... was) revolutionary, inspiring and just a towering achievement in every single way. As I listen to it, I can quite clearly hear and deduce that the minds (and most importantly, "souls") that came up with such luminary compositions were, indeed, blessed with and overwhelming creative capacity which they honed to near perfection, as there isn't a single note on that whole album which doesn't belong. It's a masterpiece and it really comes through when you hear it. The quality is undeniable.

That being said, I... hate it. Much like anything from the Stones. As fantastic as they are, Mick's voice just rubs me the wrong way and their songwriting in general just isn't up my alley.

Even though I can objectively understand why this is hailed as such a masterpiece, my taste believes this to be quite a mundane rock record with little relevance.

And, well, simply put... my taste is wrong. I don't like Exile on Main Street, I think it's a bad album. And I also know I'm wrong in thinking that, but I think it anyway. But... if I listen to it with some perspective and try to look past my own limitations I can perfectly understand why it's hailed as such a masterpiece, as it's just undeniable that there was genius at work there. Even if from my perspective it really isn't special at all.

It's just a matter of being a little less self-centered when it comes to appraising something. Think beyond yourself.

The reverse is also true. Have you ever heard of Kap Bambino?

Well, they're pretty much one of the worst bands ever to grace the genre. Generic, uninteresting, repetitive and formulaic songwriting repeated ad infinitum. They pretty much try to copy Crystal Castles and fail miserably in every single way. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I love them. Seen them live twice and will continue to do so.

Wouldn't you know it... my taste is wrong again.

And before you accuse me of being in denial, I'll say quite the contrary. I'm completely fine with being wrong. I really don't give a crap wether or not I'm right or wrong. So what if I like a band that sucks? What's the problem? Yeah, they suck big time. Still love them. And I don't constantly need to try and argue otherwise just to be able to live with myself. Yeah, I have flawed taste. Big whoop, I'm not perfect. Who cares?

You do. Because you can't take the pressure of being "wrong" in any way, can you? So you have to hide behind words and create a defense mechanism to allow yourself to validate a bad choice as something good. Because you couldn't be comfortable with reality, no... you need to believe that you're not wrong (nor do you need to feel you're right... it's just the possibility of being wrong you can't face) or else you can't live with yourself. Being wrong can't be part of the equation. So yeah, you make it into something "subjective" in your own head. That way you don't have deal with it. Because that way, everybody's right. Everybody's happy, ain't it?

I think Kap Bambino are great. Well... I'm fucking wrong, they fucking suck. And being wrong is okay. Opinions are often wrong. So fucking what? Nobody's perfect!

Now, what sets some of us off is when someone waltz into a speech about how "great" some terrible band like Nickelback, Paramore or Linkin Park is. Because liking them is mighty fine... but deluding yourself into believing it's actually something good, that, we just can't resist to try and mend! :D

I'm really adoring Metallica again. To be honest, the love never went but after playing Guitar Hero: Metallica, it's made me dig out The Black Album so I shall be listening to it in my car tomorrow.

I love the whole album but The Unforgiven and Sad but True has to be one of the best songs I've ever listened to. Just love their songs.

I don't get it. You get into Metallica again and out of all their good albums you choose to relive the worst one? oO

Yeah, it's a great album, but next to RTL, MOP and AJFA it's just ridiculously underwhelming... Why?

Sorry for perpetuating the ever lasting flame war. =/

Anyway, music, right? Here's some Portuguese goodness for y'all:

(It's sort of a hidden track, so skip to 3:30.)

I don't get it. You get into Metallica again and out of all their good albums you choose to relive the worst one? oO

Yeah, it's a great album, but next to RTL, MOP and AJFA it's just ridiculously underwhelming... Why?

I suppose it's to do with memories. It was the first album I heard that got me into rock and also I love The Unforgiven.

Back from seeing KT Tunstall

Really good gig, Black Horse/7 Nation Army was probably my performance of the night, for YESSSSSS-ness.

I recall her performing this at Eden... well she either teased it or performed it or both but by the time Black Horse & the Cherry Tree was played I didn't really care as I was fully enjoying the performance. :)

I think Kap Bambino are great. Well... I'm fucking wrong, they fucking suck. And being wrong is okay. Opinions are often wrong. So fucking what? Nobody's perfect!

Now, what sets some of us off is when someone waltz into a speech about how "great" some terrible band like Nickelback, Paramore or Linkin Park is. Because liking them is mighty fine... but deluding yourself into believing it's actually something good, that, we just can't resist to try and mend! :D

I couldn't resist... :p

But it is true, I remember when I first started posting in the original Music Thread - R.I.P :/ - even though I'd perhaps rather forget it now... I'm so glad that I actually decided to start engaging in conversation about something I've loved for so long but never truly realised how much.

Indeed many of the artists that I listen to today I probably wouldn't have even considered if it weren't for this forum and I'd probably still be 'stuck' in a musical rut listening to Kaiser Chiefs or even... *braces self* Razorlight :woops: *washes self clean* so really, truly I'd like to say a big 'Thank You' as I feel genuinely blessed after listening to such a diverse range of music over the past few years which I may not have even considered; genuinely never thought I'd ever be listening to a single member of the Trion - let alone all three - and now I simply can't imagine my life without them. :blank:

Of course there are bands which I have always loved, still do and always will... Foo Fighters being a prime example but now I feel like I've gained a great deal of perspective which is most welcome indeed... anyway I'll shut up now but you get my point. :p

---------------------------

So after listening to both Junior and Senior by Röyksopp yesterday I must say that while I still prefer the cheerfulness of the former, the stark contrast of the latter is indeed welcome though I feel like I'd need to listen more before I actually appreciate it fully.

Today I've decided to finally unseal Alas I Cannot Swim by Laura Marling after hearing and falling in love with I Speak Because I Can last year I felt like I needed to give the first album a listen, so today the time has come, throw me into the water and lets see what happens. :indeed:

My favourite song / video. [The official title is Thank U; Thank You feels wrong]

Indeed many of the artists that I listen to today I probably wouldn't have even considered if it weren't for this forum and I'd probably still be 'stuck' in a musical rut listening to Kaiser Chiefs or even... *braces self* Razorlight :woops: *washes self clean* so really, truly I'd like to say a big 'Thank You' as I feel genuinely blessed after listening to such a diverse range of music over the past few years which I may not have even considered; genuinely never thought I'd ever be listening to a single member of the Trion - let alone all three - and now I simply can't imagine my life without them. :blank:

Yes.

I love how the Trion has become a definite, definitive, thing. Sometimes I mention it in conversation, then forget it's a word/concept Paj! made up, and people are like "What?". BUT THEN, my favourite thing in life is being content [double entendre/meaning] in a sphere, in a circle. Being famous in a circle. The mere fact that the Trion is only defined in certain circles adds infinitely. Universality is sew boring.

Today I've decided to finally unseal Alas I Cannot Swim by Laura Marling after hearing and falling in love with I Speak Because I Can last year I felt like I needed to give the first album a listen, so today the time has come, throw me into the water and lets see what happens. :indeed:

The first album has a more consistent dial, 7 long, where the second is 6 long, with higher attack, and a more sparse, yet pregnant/stunning, scattering of powers. Take your pick, both are great, or just don't pick either, and abstract yourself from the concept of picking.

Both have their say. I honestly couldn't conceive how she could top Alas I Cannot Swim in the run up to the release of ISBIC. And I was punched in the face and discredited in every way when it finally came out. Done in. It was astounding.

I'm so scared of her next album.

EDIT:

OH I MET KT TUNSTALL

In the queue for a bacon roll at Kirkwall airport. Chatted briefly/said how much I enjoyed her gig etc etc where was she headed next...got a photo too, but my cousin took it so will upload when he puts it on facebook.

My first proper 'meeting a famous person in public' I think, and someone I genuinely like! Not just some random off Coronation St. or X Factor or whatever.

so today the time has come, throw me into the water and lets see what happens. :indeed:

Well I was just about to get cast into the water when suddenly the tide changed and...

'You crawled out of the sea and straight into my arms'

After being stunned by ISBIC I didn't think that AICS would be as impressive but I feel like I've been retroactively critically hit!

*Sam is out of usable Pokemon... Sam blacked out*

Daft made me listen to a Bjork song I didn't like (I do like some of her music, but not this song) and then he made me listen to something that changed my life* -

Danger.

*It didn't change my life but it was very good.

Daft made me listen to a Bjork song I didn't like (I do like some of her music, but not this song) and then he made me listen to something that changed my life* -

Danger.

*It didn't change my life but it was very good.

Did you fall in love?

Zing boom! ;)

Edited by S.C.G

Revisited The Postal Service earlier. I've been neglecting them the past couple of years. Brings back memories of a few summers ago.. good times. If only there was more than one album :(

Revisited The Postal Service earlier. I've been neglecting them the past couple of years. Brings back memories of a few summers ago.. good times. If only there was more than one album :(

*Hugs*

2-0.

That's just it. Taste in music is massively subjective, but the inherent quality of the music itself is not. I mean, it's utterly and virtually undeniable that Billie Holiday's music is better than... say... Katy Perry.

All the opinions in the world wouldn't change that.

I think the main "issue" here is that people have little to no sense of impartiality.

Meaning... in your head you get two separate concepts mixed up into a single one. Which is taste and actual quality. Most people tend to be a tad bit self-centered and immediately brand something they like as "good" and something they don't like as "bad", when in fact the two are completely unrelated. One can objectively understand and appraise a particular song and deem it's quality as good even if one doesn't like it. And vice versa. For example:

Exile on Main street is one the best albums I've ever heard... a monumental achievement in every possible meaning of the word and a timeless and classic staple of rock music. It is (or rather... was) revolutionary, inspiring and just a towering achievement in every single way. As I listen to it, I can quite clearly hear and deduce that the minds (and most importantly, "souls") that came up with such luminary compositions were, indeed, blessed with and overwhelming creative capacity which they honed to near perfection, as there isn't a single note on that whole album which doesn't belong. It's a masterpiece and it really comes through when you hear it. The quality is undeniable.

That being said, I... hate it. Much like anything from the Stones. As fantastic as they are, Mick's voice just rubs me the wrong way and their songwriting in general just isn't up my alley.

Even though I can objectively understand why this is hailed as such a masterpiece, my taste believes this to be quite a mundane rock record with little relevance.

And, well, simply put... my taste is wrong. I don't like Exile on Main Street, I think it's a bad album. And I also know I'm wrong in thinking that, but I think it anyway. But... if I listen to it with some perspective and try to look past my own limitations I can perfectly understand why it's hailed as such a masterpiece, as it's just undeniable that there was genius at work there. Even if from my perspective it really isn't special at all.

It's just a matter of being a little less self-centered when it comes to appraising something. Think beyond yourself.

The reverse is also true. Have you ever heard of Kap Bambino?

Well, they're pretty much one of the worst bands ever to grace the genre. Generic, uninteresting, repetitive and formulaic songwriting repeated ad infinitum. They pretty much try to copy Crystal Castles and fail miserably in every single way. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I love them. Seen them live twice and will continue to do so.

Wouldn't you know it... my taste is wrong again.

And before you accuse me of being in denial, I'll say quite the contrary. I'm completely fine with being wrong. I really don't give a crap wether or not I'm right or wrong. So what if I like a band that sucks? What's the problem? Yeah, they suck big time. Still love them. And I don't constantly need to try and argue otherwise just to be able to live with myself. Yeah, I have flawed taste. Big whoop, I'm not perfect. Who cares?

You do. Because you can't take the pressure of being "wrong" in any way, can you? So you have to hide behind words and create a defense mechanism to allow yourself to validate a bad choice as something good. Because you couldn't be comfortable with reality, no... you need to believe that you're not wrong (nor do you need to feel you're right... it's just the possibility of being wrong you can't face) or else you can't live with yourself. Being wrong can't be part of the equation. So yeah, you make it into something "subjective" in your own head. That way you don't have deal with it. Because that way, everybody's right. Everybody's happy, ain't it?

Sorry for perpetuating the ever lasting flame war. =/

Anyway, music, right? Here's some Portuguese goodness for y'all:

(It's sort of a hidden track, so skip to 3:30.)

Some very good points indeed. I'll never try to convince anyone that the music I like is technically awesome unless it is. Anyone with a semi decent ability to play an instrument can tell what's good and what's not from a technical aspect. I also think it's very important to differentiate between songwriting and fitting as many two-hand taps or legato into a 7 minute guitarist jerk off and calling it a masterpiece. I like Nickelback but i'm not going to come and say they're far better than Dream Theatre because it's patently not true but I still prefer to listen to Nickelback.

The only exception for me would be when arguing with people who have no idea how a song is made up and will try to argue that A Lady Gaga song with a simple repeated 4 chord melody is a harder song to play than say Too Bad by Nickelback which features some decent tapping and long stretches arpeggios. Fair enough you might prefer the Gaga song, but that's just your personal preference not because it's better.