NEurope
Dyson

LulzSec

somehwat-mad-completely-mad-u-mad-MADAD.jpg

https://twitter.com/#!/LulzSec

Just taken down Minecraft, EVE Online and Escapist Magazine. In the past few days have targetted and hit the US Senate, Bethesda, Codemasters and Epic Games.

Shit's about to get real. Yet at the same time.. I can't help but watch. It seems that anything they target turns to dust. I sort of admire their attitude.

Whaddya think? It's all fun and games until something you care about goes down. The moment they go near Steam or WoW or something equally huge will be the moment the internet implodes with rage. I sorta want to see it happen.

Edited by Dyson

Mcoy thinks their image is heroic.

Mcoy is not sure about their motives but It's only the internet, so long as It dosen't effect important day to day stuff Mcoy dosen't care too much about a few days downtimes for things like steam.

Kinda agree with Mcoy here. However I also think now there isn't much point in choosing a secure password when billy drop tables can just come along and steal all the data anyway.

I get where you're coming from at least, Dyson.

Also I don't actually know that much about them/it all.

I like that they're targeting huge corporations that work on dodgy grounds and have ambiguous means...

Oh wait, they're taking down indie titles and games companies!

Cunts!

I think they're pointless.

I really don't understand why they bother. It's just pissing everyone off and surely no one finds them funny? Except their own members who probably all downloaded their personalities from 4chan. Ugh.

Until they go after Microsoft (lolz) and get access to my hotmail....i'm not bothered. *kills fate before before any tempting can happen*

OMG, Minecraft doesn't have military grade firewa - oh wait it's a 4 man company run by some dude. Bunch of dicks, all of them.

The majority of their attacks are DDoS attacks. The highly technical process requires the amazing feat of

- Downloading required program and installing it.

- Enter server IP, etc

- Click "Run".

Surely they'll get caught soon enough. Hopefully anyway.

Can 12-year-olds be arrested for hacking?

Also it's annoying that people seem to think it's "only" the internet and that it isn't costing these companies money and losing consumer confidence.

With their pron release it means that a bunch of random people (26,000) just got their email/password pushed out into the public domain.

Then they retweet little pricks who brag that they used that information to get onto people's emails and other accounts - I saw one guy saying he emailed the dude's girlfriend saying a bunch of shit trying to make them break up.

These are real people who've done fuck all wrong and are just used as entertainment for these dickless morons.

I would like to find out where these people live and strangle them with an ethernet cable (you know they're little pussies).

So when somebody employs 4th grade bully mentality on the internet, suddenly they're heroes?

Wow, I must've missed that memo.

Also it's annoying that people seem to think it's "only" the internet and that it isn't costing these companies money and losing consumer confidence.

With their pron release it means that a bunch of random people (26,000) just got their email/password pushed out into the public domain.

Then they retweet little pricks who brag that they used that information to get onto people's emails and other accounts - I saw one guy saying he emailed the dude's girlfriend saying a bunch of shit trying to make them break up.

These are real people who've done fuck all wrong and are just used as entertainment for these dickless morons.

I would like to find out where these people live and strangle them with an ethernet cable (you know they're little pussies).

Not intending to take any sides, but it's annoying that people seem to think they're 'just' an innocent company, trying to get by whilst doing or causing no possible harm or wrongs. I'm not saying they ARE, just saying...companies losing a bit of money, compared to the ways some companies might shamelessly exploit their customers and make money...where's the difference?

It's highlighting a much greater point in some respects, albeit at the cost of real, little people. The internet is a juvenile stage, and the world is watching.

OOOooooooorrrrrrr.....maybe I'm just drunk.

Can 12-year-olds be arrested for hacking?

Mcoy thinks it's only a matter of time before younger children/adults start having their internet blacklisted/restricted at their homes after they're caught.

Mcoy wonders how the individuals behind these Ddos attacks would feel If the internet provider took down their service with no warning for 5 or 10 days. Mcoy would bet they'd be on the customer support within 5 hours ;)

So when somebody employs 4th grade bully mentality on the internet, suddenly they're heroes?

Wow, I must've missed that memo.

Mcoy dosen't know If you're quoting his post however Mcoy said their picture is heroic. Mcoy dosen't agree with what they're doing but Mcoy Isn't going to worry about It either. Mcoy just believes that karma can sometimes be a bitch and come slap you back in the face.

I'd understand if they just hacked in and left a 'calling card' as it were to let companies know "this was really easy, for the sake of your customers please upgrade your security" but to actually go around stealing stuff. Not cool bro.

Mcoy's going to make another post. Generally a lot of internet users like to keep their personal lives identity to themselves. Mcoy feels like a lot of these people who "fight" for this right are ironically forcing the goverment and internet providers to take more action. Sometimes there are good causes where causing minor problems may be acceptable. Ruining peoples nights on games and giving out account details is mostly just an annoyance to customers directly.

Good on them. If company security can be easily compromised then they should be shown up.

Mcoy dosen't know If you're quoting his post however Mcoy said their picture is heroic. Mcoy dosen't agree with what they're doing but Mcoy Isn't going to worry about It either. Mcoy just believes that karma can sometimes be a bitch and come slap you back in the face.

Oh, no, that wasn't directed at you, but at some of the people of the internet who seem to think they're heroes. (Their picture is awesome, I can't deny that.)

I don't get why we should laud these people. They're causing trouble for others - that's all they're doing. If they wanted to highlight problems with security or truly had some other "noble" cause, that'd be fine, but they're obviously just doing this to annoy people and flaunt their digital penises like a bunch of immature schoolboys.

Even if some of these companies are less than noble, this is just a dickish way of going about things that accomplishes absolutely nothing and only causes trouble for other people.

Who exactly said that you should?

Also what makes them worse than bad companies?

Ah.

See, I came here to bash Zechs Merquise. Will be seeing y'all.

Who exactly said that you should?

Also what makes them worse than bad companies?

It was a general comment aimed at the people who think whenever hackers manage to attack big corporations, they're heroes and should be lauded for their deeds.

Generally I'm just ranting at this type of people that we've seen on the internet before. It's people who pretend to have noble causes in mind by hacking big corporations and stuff, but whose moralities and true purposes are questionable at best.

I never said they were worse than bad companies by any stretch. I just dislike their methods. This is more a statement of "see what we can do" than an actual attempt at bettering things. If they truly wish to help make the world a better place, why don't they put some effort into something productive?

I love rebels. Actual rebels. But I hate people who pose as rebels when they're actually just being self-absorbed brats.

---

Rant over. I needed to get that out of my system. Now I'm open to a constructive debate about the topic. Feel free to correct any prejudicial presumptions I've made.

Not intending to take any sides, but it's annoying that people seem to think they're 'just' an innocent company, trying to get by whilst doing or causing no possible harm or wrongs. I'm not saying they ARE, just saying...companies losing a bit of money, compared to the ways some companies might shamelessly exploit their customers and make money...where's the difference?

It's highlighting a much greater point in some respects, albeit at the cost of real, little people. The internet is a juvenile stage, and the world is watching.

OOOooooooorrrrrrr.....maybe I'm just drunk.

If you can point out how the guy behind Minecraft is exploiting customers then please do.

Good on them. If company security can be easily compromised then they should be shown up.

Yeah you're right.

I always thought Venables and Thompson was trying to make a point too.

I kind of admire them in a way that they bring out flaws of the security in programs and stuff but I see absolutely no point in doing it. I just think they should go out more or something. I mean, I don't necessarily like Minecraft but I can't see a reason why to pick on it. I just think it's a waste of energy and life to hack something someone's worked hard on for no reason at all. It's not fun, it's just...ridiculous.

I was trying to avoid focusing on specifics, and rather generics. Let's consider these guys as one group/company, how many can we find who are equally unethical? More than one for one, I'm sure. I can think of at least one bad company out there as it is.

It was a general comment aimed at the people who think whenever hackers manage to attack big corporations, they're heroes and should be lauded for their deeds.

Generally I'm just ranting at this type of people that we've seen on the internet before. It's people who pretend to have noble causes in mind by hacking big corporations and stuff, but whose moralities and true purposes are questionable at best.

So...despite your posts in the preferential threads you won't actually defend these people's rights to their opinion that Lulzsec are 'heroes and should be lauded for their deeds'. Would it be out of line for me to call you a hypocrite, here? You used the word 'we' also, as in implying you were forced to do so as well as part of that collective noun, I asked who was saying you had to, but you didn't really address it in a sense of your own self, unless I'm mistaken.

I never said they were worse than bad companies by any stretch. I just dislike their methods. This is more a statement of "see what we can do" than an actual attempt at bettering things. If they truly wish to help make the world a better place, why don't they put some effort into something productive?

I love rebels. Actual rebels. But I hate people who pose as rebels when they're actually just being self-absorbed brats.

I wasn't intending to claim you had, I meant to ask why these guys should be considered worse than them. I think, as Daft also pointed out in part, they're highlighting a good point. Also coming back to it, these guys and Actual rebels as you put it, where's the difference?

I kind of admire them in a way that they bring out flaws of the security in programs and stuff but I see absolutely no point in doing it. I just think they should go out more or something. I mean, I don't necessarily like Minecraft but I can't see a reason why to pick on it. I just think it's a waste of energy and life to hack something someone's worked hard on for no reason at all. It's not fun, it's just...ridiculous.

What if it's just a target to pick on, a means to an end point, and nothing personal(lol)/more calculated than that? What if it's even a credit to the fact they're so good/popular etc?

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost