NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

What awesome gameplay bit?

I have no problem with these supposed fetch quests.

Fetch quest: anything that isn't a temple.

At least that's the impression I get from this thread.

Oh, come on! Temples are fetch quests, too, you know? You go through them just so you can fetch some kind of relic at the end, that has some kind of meaning for the story. See OoT. First you fetch these three crystal things to get the master sword. Then you have to fetch the five medallions in the adult-temples. To enter them, you have to do more fetch quests. Getting the hookshot, the Lens of truth, you name it.

The trick is: Everything is a fetch quest. ;)

The trick is: Everything is a fetch quest. ;)

My eyes have been opened. Suddenly the thread title makes perfect sense. :o

The only thing I thought felt like a fetch quest was that one thing you had to do after the third dungeon, and that was over in, what - ten minutes? Everything else was just... doing things... between temples.

I don't know.

If you look at it that way, Zelda has always been a game of fetch quests. Fetch enough items that make you powerful so that you can fight the main villain and save Zelda.

If you look at it that way, Zelda has always been a game of fetch quests. Fetch enough items that make you powerful so that you can fight the main villain and save Zelda.

or just about EVERY RPG/adventure game ever made:heh:

Was it Ronnie or Grazza you said no one dare criticize Wind Waker for the Triforce hunt now? Either way whoever said they were right. In fact, i'm changing the thread title.

Me. I said I didn't know how they were going to criticise the Tri-Force hunt with a straight face. :heh:

Just to clarify, I don't think everything that's not a dungeon is a fetch quest. To me, fetch quests are when you have to collect arbitrary things that don't develop the gameplay. You know, the sort of collectathon you'd get in an average-quality PS2 game. Take the one before the 2nd dungeon: there are literally five things scattered about you have to collect just for the sake of it!

But with the pre-dungeon fetches - you are collecting things while exploring new areas, so what exactly is the problem? It's not making you backtrack, it's simply making you explore.

I find that a lot of the people who moan about fetch quests are also those saying the game is too linear! Make up your mind if you want to explore or not!

I find that a lot of the people who moan about fetch quests are also those saying the game is too linear! Make up your mind if you want to explore or not!

I haven't said that once. If you look at my rant my main problem is the way it comes about.

The splitting of the final song is a prime example of padding the game and it's not necessary. You don't explore new places, you just revisted them again. As I said earlier, the fact that one of them gets split again into tadpoles to prove you REALLY are the Hero of Legend is a joke. If it had been another dragon then fair enough, the fact that you helped this one before and you have to prove yourself again is a slap in the face.

Many review and players marked down WW because of the Triforce hunt yet this is no different. I actually enjoyed the hunt in WW but in this, it's just notting hitting the right spot for me.

Take the one before the 2nd dungeon: there are literally five things scattered about you have to collect just for the sake of it!

And getting them involves traversing new areas and solving a couple of puzzles.

What are the medallions/crystals/sages/flames you get in temples? They're the very definition of arbitrary things you have to collect. The puzzles to get them are just a bit larger.

The Zelda series as a whole asks you to collect completely arbitrary things that are somehow required to save the world. They are just excuses to drive the player, set up puzzles and game mechanics and the whole story is concocted around these arbitrary things. Sages, powerful swords, the Triforce, map-parts, it's all just an excuse to present the player with puzzles. Stripping down Zelda stories to their core reveals how thinly the series hides this.

If you jump from the top of of the waterfall, you can land in a bird's nest.

I did it a different way:

When Beedle flew past I stopped him, climbed up and used the Gust item to blow away the sand and used the beetle to collected it.

Your way is probably easier (and the proper way) though.

Your way is probably easier (and the proper way) though.

Haha, probably. But doing things the wrong way can be fun, too. :hehe:

I haven't said that once. If you look at my rant my main problem is the way it comes about.

The splitting of the final song is a prime example of padding the game and it's not necessary. You don't explore new places, you just revisted them again. As I said earlier, the fact that one of them gets split again into tadpoles to prove you REALLY are the Hero of Legend is a joke. If it had been another dragon then fair enough, the fact that you helped this one before and you have to prove yourself again is a slap in the face.

Many review and players marked down WW because of the Triforce hunt yet this is no different. I actually enjoyed the hunt in WW but in this, it's just notting hitting the right spot for me.

I have to agree with you regarding that particular part - the reasons for doing it are ridiculous, it does feel like padding compared to the other two tasks at that stage of the game, but it was kinda cool to explore that area from a different perspective. My point was more to do with the collection that Grazza had pointed out.

Well just finished my revisit of the 1st area.

that after giving the water dragon the sacred water that the next area became a dungeon I expected to just go into the waterfall and collect it.

on the next area:

the boat and the awesomeness that it brings, having the time rock inside is nice touch. glad they went with the claw hands as well from the off rather than make you upgrade the hookshot or something

So far have clocked 22 hours and enjoying. Finding taking my time and playing in small batches is making it more enjoyable. For all its cool areas and such so far I do find it weird that when looking back over this game in say 10 years it will be looked on with a view to the motion controls as it's legacy rather than any of the set pieces (which for me still nothing there that tops OoT or LA or items.

Me. I said I didn't know how they were going to criticise the Tri-Force hunt with a straight face. :heh:

It's very easy. The Triforce hunt was boring as fuck and went on for too long. I'm at the sixth dungeon and I'm yet to go through 50 levels fighting enemies just to get one piece of Triforce.

I may be proven wrong later, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Just finished the third dungeon. Absolutely fantastic! Very very creative puzzles and a bit of originality, finally! :) The whole thing looked gorgeous too and some great enemies. Seemed a big step up in terms of size and difficulty from the second one I thought. The boss was pretty underwhelming I thought, especially compared to the second. Great cutscene afterwards though.

I'm at 14 hours, does that sound about right or am I rushing/going too slow?

I'm on 22 hours and think I'm nearing the fourth dungeon though I've yet to see where it is yet.

Last boss time. So exciting. :bouncy:

EDIT: All done! Freaking epic! *heads to spoiler thread*

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I'm at 14 hours, does that sound about right or am I rushing/going too slow?

That's pretty much bang on where I'm at.. and in very similar time :heh: I've done a little bit after that but there is still plenty to do before I'm anywhere near the fourth dungeon..

I haven't really had an opportunity to play since Thursday or Friday and I'm not sure if I'm feeling up to it today as I kinda have the flu and feel horrible :hmm:

Well, I've been playing this for a week (20+) hours and have only done the first three dungeons. It feels strange to be going this slowly in a Zelda game, although I think Twilight Princess was the same.