N-Europe

The first steps to creating the Wii U were made in 2003, already (picture included)

Light

In the beginning of 2003, the 9th of January, a patent was filed in the U.S. for a very GameCube-like controller with a screen. The patent is written under the name of Mark Siegel, although from what I can remember, when I first saw the image, it had some sort of connection to Nintendo - but I may be wrong. I sure hope not, so this patent doesn't somehow conflict with the release of this very cool console.

I've already contacted Nintendo for a comment... will see if I get a reply, although maybe a quicker, better reply would be more likely if N-Europe contacted them?

Here's the image associated with the patent:

home.no/yagami/20030220142.jpg

Edited by Light
That should've been 'IN creating the Wii U'... bloody grammar -_-;

I spent a lot of time on the Dreamcast, and I can assure anyone that the VMU was not in anyway essentially or gameplay enhancing in the vast majority of games.

That's what I was getting at. The screen on the controller in the patent is just a screen and not a control method.

• 2 weeks later...
Who the fuck files these random patents? How on earth does this work..

"DUHHH what happens if the gamecube controllers has a screen!..... BOOM!"

Clever, sneaky bastards.

The US patent system makes absolutely no sence; all sorts of people fall over it's pitfalls and only the rich can make it out: which includes Nintendo.

The US patent system makes absolutely no sence; all sorts of people fall over it's pitfalls and only the rich can make it out: which includes Nintendo.

I thought it worked both ways: small companies can make a fortune by abusing the patent system. I recall someone making a fortune by suing Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft because they used an analogue button on their controllers. Not to mention that the patent for this "analogue button" was filed after the GameCube was first revealed.

I thought it worked both ways: small companies can make a fortune by abusing the patent system. I recall someone making a fortune by suing Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft because they used an analogue button on their controllers. Not to mention that the patent for this "analogue button" was filed after the GameCube was first revealed.

That too. I just meant that anyone who falls into a pit like the one you mentioned and isn't rich gets a metaphorical 6 inch circumferenced dildo shoved up their arse.