Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Kirby's Adventure Wii

Hero-of-Time

This is to all the Kirby Fans out there.

I've been a big Nintendo Gamer for around fifteen years now but not once have i played a single Kirby game. Its something i'm not proud of, and think now is the time to give that pink blob a shot.

Question is, where do i start? I'm looking to play through most of the titles, but are there any i should avoid, what are the series highlights? Basically if you were given a Kirby marathon, how would you work your way through his back catalogue?

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror on GBA (will always be one of my favs)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby's Dream Land 1 sucks. Barebones, short, and Kirby couldn't even copy powers back then.

Kirby's Adventure is recommended by a lot of people. I haven't played it myself, but it did set the "Kirby formula" in place. Pretty impressive for a NES game, too.

Kirby Superstar (Ultra) is the pinnacle of the series for many. It's actually divided into several subgames, and offers a lot of variety. Feels a lot like Smash Bros, too.

Kirby's Dream Land 2&3 tend to be shunned by others, as they were not made by Sakurai, but I really like them. Ditto for Crystal Shards (except I haven't played that one)

Nightmare in Dream Land, Amazing Mirror, Mouse Attack and Adventure Wii should also offer traditional Kirby gameplay (in the style of the Sakurai games, I mean).

The others are spin-offs (each good on their own right).

Hope this helps :)

This is to all the Kirby Fans out there.

I've been a big Nintendo Gamer for around fifteen years now but not once have i played a single Kirby game. Its something i'm not proud of, and think now is the time to give that pink blob a shot.

Question is, where do i start? I'm looking to play through most of the titles, but are there any i should avoid, what are the series highlights? Basically if you were given a Kirby marathon, how would you work your way through his back catalogue?

To be honest, you really could just start with any Kirby game (even the spinoffs!). They're all very accessible and all great fun.

If you want to start from the "beginning" of the series though, then I'd actually start with Kirby's Adventure rather than Kirby's Dreamland. Dreamland may have been the actual first game, but Adventure was the first to introduce the series staple of copy powers and was the one to set the series in motion so to speak (much like Super Mario Bros in comparison to Mario Bros).

Other than that, go nuts!

Just as a note, every single console Kirby game ever made (including the spinoffs) is now available on the VC/Wii Retail (with the sole exception of Kirby Air Ride for GCN, which can of course be played via backwards compatibility). The handheld games are also mostly covered by the 3DS' backwards compatibility and the VC, with a few exceptions - Kirby's Tilt N' Tumble, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, Kirby's Star Stacker (available on JPN VC, probably will hit ours soon), Kirby's Pinball Land (Rated by OFLC, will hit soon), Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (available to 3DS Ambassadors, will probably get a proper commercial release along with other GBA games within the next few years)

Edited by Dcubed

Slightly regretting waiting for so long before getting this, it's actually quite a lot of fun! Certainly doesn't feel like it was designed for multiplayer like I first thought it would be.

The graphics are surprisingly nice and just feels right somehow. I liked Epic Yarns style but this one wins over it. It's got some nice effects such as the haze when you use a fire attack.

So far I think I prefer this over Epic Yarn, although it's still early.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's about time someone else on here played the thing!

Slightly regretting waiting for so long before getting this, it's actually quite a lot of fun! Certainly doesn't feel like it was designed for multiplayer like I first thought it would be.

The graphics are surprisingly nice and just feels right somehow. I liked Epic Yarns style but this one wins over it. It's got some nice effects such as the haze when you use a fire attack.

So far I think I prefer this over Epic Yarn, although it's still early.

Personally my first WAS Dream Land(and Pinball) on GB, the excitement of seeing my already loved Kirby with copy abilities a few years later whilst on holiday blew my mind though. I'd actually recommend trying Dream Land first if you can, if you get fed up with it/find it boring, don't lose hope in the series and move onto Kirby's adventure. Adventure starts the Copy abilities that are now series-famous. Besides Epic Yarn, I don't think there's a single game in the series that I've played(inc spinoffs) and not enjoyed, as they all manage to keep themselves all...kirby enough.

So my order to suggest may be;

Dream Land on GB(if you get fed up/find it boring, don't give up, move onto the next)

Kirby's Adventure

Kirby's Fun Pak(aka Superstar) - remade on DS a while back as Superstar Ultra Deluxe or something.

All the other kirbys! I'd recommend playing the above before moving onto Amazing Mirror on GBA, then after Amazing Mirror go for Squeak Squad because they introduce more/different copy abilities. Playing them first then the older ones might make you feel like the older ones are a bit more limited in terms of abilities. I've mainly focused on the 'main' games, with the adventuring/side scrolling action. Ignore Epic Yarn, it's a good game, but it isn't *really* a kirby game. Play it with a pinch of salt.

One thing I like about Kirby Adventure Wii is that it uses a lot of the abilities/moves originally pioneered in Fun Pak, which was my first major copy ability Kirby game.

Be warned though, not many the Kirby games are terribly challenging. They're bloody fun though! One of my favourite characters/series.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's about time someone else on here played the thing!

I started playing it last weekend through certain means and did quite enjoy it. Not all that dissappointed I'm starting all over again with my copy from ShopTo now, though! :D

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Be warned though, not many the Kirby games are terribly challenging. They're bloody fun though! One of my favourite characters/series.

Until of course you get to a Kirby game's final boss & Boss rush challenge. Then it always becomes crazy hard! KuGsj.gif

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!