N-Europe

Reincarnation.

jayseven

Thanks for that story Jay. I've often (and others must have also) thought about reincarnation and had the theory that everyone may be the same person. It's weird to read that story because it basically describes a thought I've had myself. Or maybe I wrote that story in another life...

Weird how lots of people can have exactly the same idea, completely separate from each other. Like how 2 people can separately and originally come up with the same joke, invention, film, song - anything I suppose.

As much as I'd love the fantasy of it, I'm with Diageo on this. You'll be another creature, another being if such exists in them, with no knowledge of a previous human life/nature. You won't notice or care. I believe construct the ideas such as reincarnation because we are weaker than those pigeons and can't handle the fact that our existence is possibly just as mediocre as his. That pigeon doesn't have a religion, he's got a packet of crisps and that makes him happy.

If you are reincarnated, but have no recollection of the fact, what aspect of that new being is even you? Not any cells, or matter. And if not the consciousness/memories, then what? Unless the possibility of regaining the memories existed.

I could argue my dog is a reincarnation of Einstein. Except that he has no recollections of being human and no memory. And if it were true, the state of play would be identical.

But that brings up the question: if you lose absolutely every single shred of memory, if you wake up tomorrow with no recollection of any thoughts (not even established concepts such as language or how to walk) - is that the same as having died, at least mentally?

But that brings up the question: if you lose absolutely every single shred of memory, if you wake up tomorrow with no recollection of any thoughts (not even established concepts such as language or how to walk) - is that the same as having died, at least mentally?

Yes.

Well we learn by making new neural connections in our brain, if every one of those connections was reset it would be the same as resetting yourself. You would look the same but would probably create the new connections very differently because you are no longer a baby and so would be a very different person, basically someone else.

If you are reincarnated, but have no recollection of the fact, what aspect of that new being is even you? Not any cells, or matter. And if not the consciousness/memories, then what? Unless the possibility of regaining the memories existed.

I could argue my dog is a reincarnation of Einstein. Except that he has no recollections of being human and no memory. And if it were true, the state of play would be identical.

What if maybe Einstein, and many lots of very intelligent/interesting/smart/special people are actually further along the line of reincarnation and that is part of what leads them to be such talented/recognized individuals?

Andy Weir - The Egg is a short story I've posted a few times that gives a really charming idea of reincarnation.

Ville; you've not presented a logical argument at all contrary to mine :P It's a nice theoretical musing on an unanswerable question - but there's no logic in what you say, just supposition :P

That's an awesome story, the ending literally blew me away as I remember thinking the same thing a few years ago. :bouncy:

I've always been interested in reincarnation, I'd love to see life through another persons (or creatures) eyes. If I had to be something it would be a Dolphin as they seem to have such happy lives and are so beautiful. I'd just be sure to steer clear of Japan :hmm:

I like to think there is a connection between our current selves and or past lives, whether it be personality, intelligence or something different (like long lost memories that come to you in a dream).

Otherwise, there's no point in theorising about reincarnation.