Soul Calibur V

Retro_Link

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been playing this all day at someones. Its fantastic. Compared to SC4 no question this game destroys that in every way.

Presentation etc. is much better than SC4. Not hard since that rehashed SC3 and left out the good stuff... Love the music.

Gameplay mechanics seem well handled. I miss Kilik but Xiba is shaping up nicely. Roster is quite varied there are new characters and bonus styles for character create including Devil Jin.

anyhow game is awesome surprised no one here is talking about it.

I had the game a day before it was released and have been enjoying it quite a lot, the only thing I really didn't like was the intro, so lazy to just use the opening scene from the story... :sad:

Aside from that though, good selection of characters, the descendants/relations to the missing characters for the most-part are good though I still kinda miss Seung Mina and Xianghua.

Single player is lacking but it's not nearly on the level of woe that certain reviews would have you believe but go and compare the single player modes from V with II (which I did yesterday coincidentally) and it's clear that many sacrifices have been made over the years.

Fortunately though the game looks amazing and sounds stunning with a fighting system that feels fantastic, clearly though it's the online which will keep you coming back for more so long as you have a decent group of friends to play it with. :)

Been playing this all day at someones. Its fantastic. Compared to SC4 no question this game destroys that in every way.

Presentation etc. is much better than SC4. Not hard since that rehashed SC3 and left out the good stuff... Love the music.

Gameplay mechanics seem well handled. I miss Kilik but Xiba is shaping up nicely. Roster is quite varied there are new characters and bonus styles for character create including Devil Jin.

Just too much other stuff still left from the end of last year to be playing. I loved SC4 even though it clearly wasn't as good as 2 (the best in my opinion). Didn't really enjoy the PSP version so this is pretty low down on my list to get.

I bought it aswell but i've only installed the game on my 360 and left it at that...too much FFXIII-2 goodness to be had at the moment. My mate also picked SCV up and said the AI is incredibly cheap. I had a quick look on Gaf, Faqs and the achievement website I visit and see that many peeps are complaining about this.

How bad is it?

My mate also picked SCV up and said the AI is incredibly cheap. I had a quick look on Gaf, Faqs and the achievement website I visit and see that many peeps are complaining about this.

How bad is it?

Not that bad at all actually, SCIV felt way cheaper... SCV does make a few advancements too in that the specials seem more effective and are thankfully easier to pull off, the whole combat system seems to be rebalanced again as well.

There's enough to keep you busy in single player but it's the multiplayer which will likely keep you wanting more but thankfully the single player is easy to fall back on when you've had enough of playing the online for a little bit, there are plenty of titles to unlock plus chars/music/stages without resorting to buying the rather pointless DLC for the game which I think is appalling and should just be included as a good will gesture from Namco for farming out the story mode... granted it's playable but painfully predictable.

Anyway, short answer - Is it fun? Yes... play it and you'll enjoy it just don't go expecting anything on the level of Soul Calibur II's wealth of single player content and general brilliance as it's the solid fighting mechanics plus the multiplayer that you're really paying for...

... oh and the character creation isn't bad either. ;)

Same here man. This week has pretty much been the first time I've given Soul Calibur IV a proper go, hilarious since I bought it the week it came out. I don't know why I didn't take to it the first time around, but I just discovered Nightmare has some incredible moves, compared to SC2, so I'm rollin with that for now.

Kinda been playing far too many fighters, it's a little sad. I've been playing a hell of a lot of Street Fighter 3 Online Edition too, which is as good as it gets.

SC4 is shite though. Weakest Soul game all round. 80% Rehashed into HD content no new artwork or music... Weakest and slowest fighting gameplay since SC1. Amazing they got away with it by just adding crappy online.

Sc1 and 3 were the best in terms of single player. Good endings and loads of extras. Sc3 had tons of extras. Shame they rehashed 20% of it to make 80% of SC4. Sc5 destroys Sc4 but that isnt exactly hard to do.

Fighting wise this is the best since SC on DC. Sc 2, 3 and 4 felt unfocused(aside from newbs to the series) and they lost the great game mechanics that made SC1 the package it was. This brings back tight gameplay mechanics with fresh systems and allows the series to move forward with a solid foundation.

I havent tried the single player really but it seemed better than SC4's easily and for it to compete with say SC3 they need to do muhc work but as i said the maint hing is the gameplay mechanics and vs in the long run. SC5 shines strongest there over all the other sequels.

Edited by Choze

Pretty much true, but I feel pretty strongly that the second game is the best in the series from a technical standpoint, and this is coming from someone who is pretty hardcore about fighters.

I'm pretty excited about SC5 after reading the EDGE review though; attack pace has been increased, they've introduced the equivalent of Street Fighter's special attacks (dependant on gauges) which, if they can be seamlessly tied to the end of combos, will obviously be a great way to introduce a finisher to your moves, and finally, that they've expanded the move list for every character by some margin, which is great because it felt pretty damn meagre in the last game, especially for a series that relies on pre-baked combos.

SCII was an awesome awesome game which, for me, was the pinnacle of the series, single and multiplayer wise. Was never a big fan of create-a-character as they always felt half baked and lacking compared to the originals (maybe I just lack imagination :<) so not a selling point for me, the super moves or whatever they are called here look out of place imo, but I see why they were implemented. All I miss is the fast paced parrying that was perfect in II. Hasn't felt right since. Back in those days it was hard to choose between this and Virtua Fighter 4 as my fave 3d fighter.

Virtua Fighter 4 is a total no brainer for best 3D fighter, until VF5 came out, there is so much in there that you're not even going to be vaguely competent or even functional unless you sit down and literally construct a register of moves that works for you and then practice the shit out of the inputs until they feel as everyday as the deathgrip of your wanking hand feels around your tiny, flaccid member.

For every action, there is a response in that game, which is why it's so amazing/ ridiculously difficult. Actually, I hear that there's a live arcade version of VF5, which will hopefully create a decent influx of new players, so that I don't have to get my arse kicked repeatedly by the idiot savants that've been poopsocking that game since day 1.

Virtua Fighter 4 is a total no brainer for best 3D fighter, until VF5 came out, there is so much in there that you're not even going to be vaguely competent or even functional unless you sit down and literally construct a register of moves that works for you and then practice the shit out of the inputs until they feel as everyday as the deathgrip of your wanking hand feels around your tiny, flaccid member.

For every action, there is a response in that game, which is why it's so amazing/ ridiculously difficult. Actually, I hear that there's a live arcade version of VF5, which will hopefully create a decent influx of new players, so that I don't have to get my arse kicked repeatedly by the idiot savants that've been poopsocking that game since day 1.

Haha yeah that was pretty much it. Loved VF4 so much I played it back when it wasnt even out at the Earl's Court Game expo (think it was a sony thing, not sure) and impressed some guys who handed my arse to me. A year later came back, and there was a tournament, which was one by the guy who was the No.1 VF4 player in the UK at the time. He told us to keep his identity a secret ¬_¬.

Nowadays, I just dont have the patience to learn the game as I did and the PS3 version of VF5 has no online multiplayer which is criminal. There is an arcade version, but I swear that has been out for awhile with new characters and moves IIRC.

Anyways ontopic: Soul Calibur was loved because it was so immediate. You could pick up the controller and pull off flashy moves. Talking of flashy, is Maxi still in the game? If he isn't then im forgoing this game.

Ah great. He is pretty much my main...but then so is Siegfried. Hard for me to choose between them. They took out so many moves for maxi, or at least the different methods of doing same moves for SC4, it almost almost gimped him. Hope it's a return to form for V. Wonder if Ivy is easier to play. Been trying to learn her for the last two/three games!

SCII was an awesome awesome game which, for me, was the pinnacle of the series, single and multiplayer wise. Was never a big fan of create-a-character as they always felt half baked and lacking compared to the originals (maybe I just lack imagination :<) so not a selling point for me, the super moves or whatever they are called here look out of place imo, but I see why they were implemented. All I miss is the fast paced parrying that was perfect in II. Hasn't felt right since. Back in those days it was hard to choose between this and Virtua Fighter 4 as my fave 3d fighter.

SC2 was dissapointing after SC1. Not sure what you are on about. It was dumbed down in every way and was missing so many things.

There are myriad reasons why 2 was better than the first game;

1. It was faster, which was good simply because a lot of the game relies on prediction.

2. Lengthier combo strings, more of them, and the ability to switch up starts and ends to the combo chains (especially for Maxi) allowed you to condition the opposing character to expect one move string, and recieve another, being caught off guard.

3. At the time, it looked gorgeous, and the framerate was more stable than the first game.

There are more, but I can't think atm.

SC2 was dissapointing after SC1. Not sure what you are on about. It was dumbed down in every way and was missing so many things.

1. It was faster, which was good simply because a lot of the game relies on prediction.

2. Lengthier combo strings, more of them, and the ability to switch up starts and ends to the combo chains (especially for Maxi) allowed you to condition the opposing character to expect one move string, and recieve another, being caught off guard.

3. At the time, it looked gorgeous, and the framerate was more stable than the first game.

I have to say I agree with The Bard on this one no way was it dumbed down compared to 1, the single player was immense and certainly 4,5 and Broken Destiny didn't even get close to it.

Sc2 was much slower than 1. Sc1 is the fastest. Combo strings were similar, nothing of note. It did look nicer though but thats about it. Other than that they dumbed it down. It had less than half the content. Which you know is quite noticeable. SC3 fixed the content part nicely. Arcade edition fixed the balance issues.

I appreciate they did a good job this time though content wise they still have to improve. The fighting mechanics are much more fun this time round.