NEurope
Retro_Link

Soul Calibur V

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is still the best of the series.

hmmm I'd maybe say 2 was better. I loved 4 but it wasn't a a patch on 1 or 2. The single player as awesome in the 2nd I just want it back! Also PSP version was awesome, didn't spend anywhere near enough time with it. I like the sound of what they are doing with the plot moving the series forward slightly in that respect.

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is still the best of the series.

Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube all the way!

Meh. That was a waste of a minute and a half.
Should've done what I did, skipped through the video progress bar looking for boobies.

I really liked Soulcalibur II on the Gamecube, it had a great atmosphere and a weapon master mode. The 4th game lacked both of those things, hopefully they'll put it right 5th time around.

Let's be honest, we all know the only reason anyone actually plays this game is

33.jpg

Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube all the way!

The first had tighter gameplay. The second had more content.

Not fussed really. Soul Calibur IV lacked what Soul Calibur II had in a big way, i enjoyed the 2nd game beyond anything. Soul Calibur V needs the passion and soul of II to even reach my attention. I thought IV had that, i was mistaken.

i just feel street fighter 4 has raised the bar so high now that nothing can compare to it.

soul calibur on dreamcast was good back then...as for soul calibur 4 it was alright not all that special thou

SF4 did not raise the bar for anything. Its just a solid back to roots relaunch much like MK. Unless you mean shitty DLC costumes and constant re-releases. Or passing shitty aged graphics as good.

I hope SC5 does not look like SC4. SC4 was very drab with odd looking characters. Also create some new art assets. Rather than recycling old stuff. Other fighting games create new costumes and stages etc. Why was that not the case in SC4? Half the game was old stuff.

The first had tighter gameplay. The second had more content.

1st also had more content. Much more content. The 1st game is by far the best. Well balanced , fastest and great content. SC2 is only popular because it was most people's first SC game and Nintendo lovers had Link. Presentation was improved a notch in SC2. I would put 4 under 2 overall. SC3 was really great content wise but suffered for being the first SC not to launch in arcades. Infact SC4 uses quite afew SC3 assets from much of the music down to stages and character design. But not the best stuff oddly. SC4 felt unfinished and lacking compared to SC3 :(

Edited by Choze

SF4 did not raise the bar for anything. Its just a solid back to roots relaunch much like MK. Unless you mean shitty DLC costumes and constant re-releases. Or passing shitty aged graphics as good.

I hope SC5 does not look like SC4. SC4 was very drab with odd looking characters. Also create some new art assets. Rather than recycling old stuff. Other fighting games create new costumes and stages etc. Why was that not the case in SC4? Half the game was old stuff.

1st also had more content. Much more content. The 1st game is by far the best. Well balanced , fastest and great content. SC2 is only popular because it was most people's first SC game and Nintendo lovers had Link. Presentation was improved a notch in SC2. I would put 4 under 2 overall. SC3 was really great content wise but suffered for being the first SC not to launch in arcades. Infact SC4 uses quite afew SC3 assets from much of the music down to stages and character design. But not the best stuff oddly. SC4 felt unfinished and lacking compared to SC3 :(

Yeah agreed SC4 did feel some unfinished and lacklustre as a result. Despite this I did get quite into the online and was actually half decent at it which makes a change for a fighter.

No way. SF4 raised the bar for modern fighters. Whilst many were off adding gimmick after gimmick making the games weaker and weaker because they believed that the only way to sell games was too have a shiny new feature or an "original" new mode in, SF4 proved that the only thing you needed to do was update your visuals, tighten up the controls, use traditional fighter gameplay but with plenty of depth to the combos and throw in a very solid online multiplayer.

No way. SF4 raised the bar for modern fighters. Whilst many were off adding gimmick after gimmick making the games weaker and weaker because they believed that the only way to sell games was too have a shiny new feature or an "original" new mode in, SF4 proved that the only thing you needed to do was update your visuals, tighten up the controls, use traditional fighter gameplay but with plenty of depth to the combos and throw in a very solid online multiplayer.

I wouldn't say it raised the bar. More reinforced its doctrine of what makes a great fighter in spectacular fashion.

hmmm I'd maybe say 2 was better. I loved 4 but it wasn't a a patch on 1 or 2. The single player as awesome in the 2nd .

The single was at it's best in soul blade for the PS1. Fantastic game that was and still my favourite.

The single was at it's best in soul blade for the PS1. Fantastic game that was and still my favourite.

Yeah, Soul Blade was awesome :) Siegfried's "huge-sword-through-the-hip-and-toss-you-over" for teh win! :D I too preferred SB's single player to SC2. Never played any of the other games, though.

I had never played the third either!

First was good, second was ace and i did really enjoy the fourth!

Was a massive fan of the first two games, the second especially since they complicated it a little bit more and made it even more dance like. Skipped the third and throught the fourth was pretty junky, especially since by that time I'd moved on to the far far superior VF4 and Street Fighter 4 was around the corner as well.

Hopefully Namco capitalise on the resurgence of the genre and put lil bit more effort into it, because a good Soul Calibur game would be so sweet.

I had never played the third either!

First was good, second was ace and i did really enjoy the fourth!

Wasn't the 3rd exclusive to Sony or something??.

Its a good game but lets not carried away. Lost of games do what you mentioned.