NEurope

I have been reading Death Note and I am now on (well, I just finished) Volume 4.

I enjoy the story and the mythology, but some bits annoy me.

L and Light's constant one-upping of each other, and the ridiculous/ott deducing that they (both) do is so stupid, like the most obscure reasons for X.

Apart from that its pretty bad ass, and I liked the ending of Volume 4 because it made me think "Yeah, no fucking idea how this is going to go."

I saw in WHSmith the other day volume 13 and was like ":/" how long is this thing?

How does the anime compare?

Its amusing because it is only 13 volumes long, I think it's about one hundred and ten issues long?

The more I look back the more I think it should have stopped at a certain point, I think at vol 8?

I adore the show. It's one of those shows that was brilliantly-written and had me on the edge of my seat with some great cliffhangers. I've not read the books though. I would recommend the series to anybody though, it's just awesome.

It's very good, I think. Two opposing ideals clashing while playing detective against each other. A pretty sweet mafia game battle of wits, in which it's hard to pick a side at first

The Anime also has an awesome soundtrack. And ridiculously over-the-top moments.

The only thing I really disliked (even with the exaggerated moments) was that the final stretch of the show was quite rushed in the Anime, and I heard it dragged on unnecessarily in the manga. There's no middle term there :heh:

I don't think them one upping each other all the time is ridiculous, and I thought their deductions made sense. They take gambles, and act upon hunches, but that's it. For now, at least.

Even though I read quite a bit of manga when I feel like it, I've never read the Death Note manga and only seen the anime. Is there enough difference to warrant a read through?

I think the ideas and actual storyline are pretty well done though, I'm glad they kept it relatively short/ didn't carry on and on and on like many of the main mangas because it would have ruined it.

Yeah, like Dom said there's a pretty definite stopping point around vol 7 or 8, so if you tire or need a break you'll know the place to stop when you get there. Arguably never quite as good after that point.

Used to love it, though I must have been about 15 when I watched it... might give it another try some day, see if it still holds up. Gave the first few mangas a blast last year if I recall... still enjoyable.

In a word it's awesome. But whatever you do don't touch the dubbed version with a barge pole. It's the equivalent of Marcus Phoenix or Kratos from GOW sounding like tweetie pie. Really badly done, and completely ruined the series.

The anime is great. It does one thing which some find awful and some think was a stroke of genius, which is take dozens of chapters from the second half (some consider the slowest/weakest part of the story) and cram them all into one 20 minute episode. It also has fantastic visuals which never falter (unlike some long running series).

Yeah, I would definitely put the Anime over the manga. The manga can drag on a bit. I watched the anime first and that's what got me hooked.

Regarding dub, I thought it was great and heard it was one of the best dubbed series, like FMA.

I will almost certainly get the dubbed (when I get round to it). I don't like subtitles. Especially on animation. i.e. art....

Death Note is the only anime I've watched from start to finish. I thought it was noticeably weaker/rushed in its second season, and it jumped the shark pretty heavily towards the end. Season one was great, though (and parts of season two). :smile:

I thought it was brilliant up until the second half too, when it felt a bit rushed. I love L's humour and mannerisms, the way he deals with kira is amazingly aggressive/dangerous but he speaks so softly and confidently. Oh and definitely get the dub, it is well done.

I will almost certainly get the dubbed (when I get round to it). I don't like subtitles. Especially on animation. i.e. art....

Even though I know you're not going to care, this is a mistake :heh: There are very few anime that get quality voice actors when dubbed in English, and unfortunately Death Note is not among them.

Oh and definitely get the dub, it is well done.
There are very few anime that get quality voice actors when dubbed in English, and unfortunately Death Note is not among them.

We need a tiebreaker.

If he prefers dubs, I think the obvious choice is to watch it in dubs for an episode and see if he likes it.

I think the dub is good. Never watched it with subtitles, but I have no desire to. I don't see any problem with the English voices, and it means if you look away from the screen you still know what is going on.

Seriously, what is the appeal of listening to japanese voices that you can't understand?

But you probably will disregard my opinion because my full experience of anime is Pokémon, Dragonball Z and Death Note.

Japanese Goku sounds awful!

I said that to you and you disagreed, were you trolling?

The dub of Death Note is very good, you will enjoy it.

I said that to you and you disagreed, were you trolling?

The dub of Death Note is very good, you will enjoy it.

Only when he'a screaming, but in Dragonball that's pretty common.

I have been reading Death Note and I am now on (well, I just finished) Volume 4.

I enjoy the story and the mythology, but some bits annoy me.

L and Light's constant one-upping of each other, and the ridiculous/ott deducing that they (both) do is so stupid, like the most obscure reasons for X.

Apart from that its pretty bad ass, and I liked the ending of Volume 4 because it made me think "Yeah, no fucking idea how this is going to go."

I saw in WHSmith the other day volume 13 and was like ":/" how long is this thing?

What do you mean, you enjoy the mythology?

What do you mean, you enjoy the mythology?

I enjoy the world they've created and the workings/mechanics of the death notes.

Don't look at me, I've heard it in plenty of reviews and such to describe the landscape and how-things-work-ness of (any given) stories universe.

Well I guess I've never seen it used in this context then.