N-Europe

Video Editing

Ashley

I'm trying to edit together some videos for an application and its already a pain in the arse for various reasons. Not sure if its just Jodie's computer (which theoretically should be fine as its new and barely been used) or what but its just not playing nice.

Anyway moaning aside just thought I'd see if anyone else has done any editing they want to show off.

Haha. Never edited something before (well I cut something in the program that came with my Flip, as that was all I wanted to do with it..).

However, my dad asked me to put some holiday videos on DVD, again no real editing required, but still.. It's enough for me to be able to join in the moaning ;).

First, I used the software that came with the camera, I thought it would be best. Burned DVD works on my computer, but not in standalone player. Maybe a fluke, but.. And the software is so goddamn slow. I've never seen such a piece of crappy software before. Made me relive my days behind my old P300 computer, it was that bad.

Then I downloaded Windows movie maker. Simple, but quick and easy, for as far as I could see. The problem is, the camera (or the SD card rather) holds hundreds of small files, which the proprietary software combines into more managable chunks. But Movie maker can't import the original files. Also, let me say my dad can't film shit, he films everything where he should've taken photographs, resulting in loads of meaningless few-second videos. I can't be arsed to manually import hundreds of files which aren't in chronological order because Movie maker doesn't read the timestamps. I did do a test with a video from my Flip, burned on a DVD, and that worked fine on the standalone DVD player, so I'm assuming it's the software's fault.

After leaving it for a while, I try again. This time, I realise not only do I have a backup of the original files, I also have the way more managable imported files on my computer. I finally try to import these into Movie maker.. But the program breaks down. I think it can't handle 200+ files.

Then I remembered looking at other video editing software, most of which I can't afford :rolleyes:, but I came across Lightworks which has a opensource version nowadays. Overkill for what I try to do, but whatever. Unfortunately, it doesn't import the camera files, or even the imported camera files. I'm not sure what it is.. Perhaps because it's opensource and accepts less formats than its prior commercial version. Still, as far as I can tell, it shouldn't have problems with MPEG2, but maybe I'm missing some subtleties.

Anyway.. I guess I should try the Lightworks forum and a tech forum for this problem ;). In the meantime, I'll try that crap software again, let's see if my patience holds out.

I can't even remember it. I don't think it was a big problem, just an annoyance. Thankfully at uni we have a super competent technician (who is also a filmmaker) and our lecturer is a qualified Adobe...something. I'm not sure but she's worked with them for a number of years, taught it etc etc. So any real issues I can turn to people I just wanted to let off steam ^_^

I edit videos all the time because I do filmmaking.

In terms of 'professional' stuff I just (last night) filmed a multimedia performance thing for a multimedia performance art collective thingie that I'll be editing too. Be interesting as my first proper editing job. Unpaid though. :(

saveyoutube.com

Others worked though :/

Had a few tries myself, I've only downloaded the mp4 variants, not the flv. Lightworks at least imports the saved youtube files just fine. The mp4 files uses H.264 as the video codec and mp4a as the audio codec it seems. Adobe Premiere must be able to decode those files. Do the files play in mediaplayers? Are you downloading the flv files instead? I don't know if they use different codecs, although I suspect not.

I edit videos all the time because I do filmmaking.

In terms of 'professional' stuff I just (last night) filmed a multimedia performance thing for a multimedia performance art collective thingie that I'll be editing too. Be interesting as my first proper editing job. Unpaid though. :(

As long as you're having fun doing it. You said you were studying filmmaking, didn't you? At the least you can chalk this up on your CV, which will prove its worth sooner or later.

Yeah it'll look awesome on my c.v...though it's actually just filming some 3rd year Music students final performance thing, they're also a "company" called EverPresent and I got offical credit as Artistic Director of the film crew. :D :D

I'm stunned.

Had a few tries myself, I've only downloaded the mp4 variants, not the flv. Lightworks at least imports the saved youtube files just fine. The mp4 files uses H.264 as the video codec and mp4a as the audio codec it seems. Adobe Premiere must be able to decode those files. Do the files play in mediaplayers? Are you downloading the flv files instead? I don't know if they use different codecs, although I suspect not.

They play fine in mediaplayers and I am indeed downloading the mp4 files. I'll come back to it at a different time (as I should focus on my animation work at the moment).

Windows Movie Maker is indeed fail. (The older one was so much for better, for some weird reason they made it a million times shitter) but its a hassle free alternative that everyone (I guess) has already.

But its all about DVD Freesoft for Youtube downloads. It punks all other YT downloaders. I will post my most proud achievements soon.

I usually use adobe software for anything video related, as my last core modules at uni were very much about visual effects and filming, which was odd for a games course.

I haven't really got anything to show as I was very much the noob and not so good, but meh.