NEurope
Rummy

Alternative Vote, please vote!

After watching that video I don't see how AV is fairer than FPTP. Going from that video, what if everyone who voted for candidate A chose candidate D as their second choice? It wouldn't even be counted.

As a No vote would mean no change to our voting system in future and the fact that the 'No' campaign has been scaremongering all along I will be voting Yes.

Obviously the big two parties are going to be against any step towards PR as it will mean they will never get massive majorities in the future, which is a good thing.

We've managed fine in Scotland having a mix between FPTP and a PR list system for our Government, it's led to minority Government each time and it's not really caused any major issues.

After watching that video I don't see how AV is fairer than FPTP. Going from that video, what if everyone who voted for candidate A chose candidate D as their second choice? It wouldn't even be counted.

No, it wouldn't. That's because their vote for their preferred candidate, candidate A, WOULD be counted.

If everyone who voted for D chose A as their second choice, their second choice vote would at least be counted in some way. In FPTP, their choices and opinions will count for nothing.

I disagree. I think it's a fairly composite joke.

You're right, it's Very Good Actually.

Too far?

As a No vote would mean no change to our voting system in future and the fact that the 'No' campaign has been scaremongering all along I will be voting Yes.

Obviously the big two parties are going to be against any step towards PR as it will mean they will never get massive majorities in the future, which is a good thing.

We've managed fine in Scotland having a mix between FPTP and a PR list system for our Government, it's led to minority Government each time and it's not really caused any major issues.

That's another big thing for me, if we don't take this oppurtunity for change now, we may not get another oppurtunity for a long time. I'd mind if I saw some massive negatives to AV over FPTP, but I can't really see them? I wonder though, because people seem against it, am I missing something? I honestly thought AV was so much more complicated than it is because of that.

Very glad to see so many people here voting Yes. When it was announced I just assumed Yes would win, since AV, while not great, is still obviously better than FPTP. It's especially jarring for me, because I use STV in Northern Ireland. FPTP feels prehistoric compared to that.

I was kinda shocked when I read No was leading, but the smear leaflets they handed out in my area were pretty good. They were bad arguments if you closely examined them, but it did a good job of putting people off who hadn't heard much about AV.

It was disheartening to hear my friend (who goes to Oxford =/) parroting "LOL! AV is only used in three countries and even they're looking to get rid of it!". Just because it isn't widely used, doesn't mean it's shit (it is though ;)) or that FPTP is better. I struggle to understand how someone who has used STV could actually like FPTP.

C what you Did there.

You fool, it's scart to be a way of connecting video.

How Do you Manage to be so Incompetent?

It was disheartening to hear my friend (who goes to Oxford =/) parroting "LOL! AV is only used in three countries and even they're looking to get rid of it!".

Well yeah, like most places in the world, Oxford is rife with people with shit opinions.

I've already voted no by postal vote, it's a shit system, will be yet another expense the country can't really afford, and will probably make absolutely no change to anything.

Cheer up Mr. Monkey, why must everything be so grim from your point of view!??!?!

My postal vote has got lost in the post somewhere so I'm having to make an unplanned visit back home to Southampton in order to vote YES.

I've already voted no by postal vote, it's a shit system, will be yet another expense the country can't really afford, and will probably make absolutely no change to anything.

Maybe, but FPTP is a shitter system.

You think it's better? I'm suprised given your recent crusade on our apparent lack of civil liberties(I have nothing against you btw, but that was a pretty crazy thread). I'd have imagined you to be more a supporter of AV than FPTP given that, though.

You think it's better? I'm suprised given your recent crusade on our apparent lack of civil liberties(I have nothing against you btw, but that was a pretty crazy thread). I'd have imagined you to be more a supporter of AV than FPTP given that, though.

Yeah but AV will allow terrorists to enter the government. It will also remove our liberties. It doesn't ensure that all votes are counted it actually removes 90% of all votes, and the existing government gets to choose where to allocate the votes.

Obviously you and your close mind can't see this, as you've been brainwashed and will listen to the lies and propaganda that has been spread by the YES campaign.

Another video explaining AV.

WITH KITTEHS.

A vote for AV is a vote for cats everywhere.

Edit: That was possibly the best explanation video I've watched in my life.

Edited by SixT-4

I'm not going to be voting either way. All it is is an empty gesture of appeasement.

An empty gesture of appeasement?

I can understand it isn't a whole hearted attempt to reform the voting system, but empty? If AV wins, AV will replace the FPTP system which will cause a difference in politics, it's hardly empty.