NEurope
N-E Survey

Great Britain is England Scotland and Wales... United kingdom is Great Britain + N. Ireland.

i think anyway

Yeah, that's right. I was about to protest at first, but then I looked it up. The United Kingdom and Great Britain have always been synonymous in my mind, so I figured I wouldn't be the only one to associate "Britain" and "British" with the United Kingdom in its entirety.

There was an Ali G sketch where he asked some member of a party in Northern Ireland if he was Irish. He said he was British and Ali G asked if he was there on holiday :p

People from Britain are British, people from Northern Ireland are Northern Irish, people from Ireland are Irish.

There was an Ali G sketch where he asked some member of a party in Northern Ireland if he was Irish. He said he was British and Ali G asked if he was there on holiday :p

People from Britain are British, people from Northern Ireland are Northern Irish, people from Ireland are Irish.

ye i agree but try telling that to some people I know lol. =P

Great Britain is England Scotland and Wales... United kingdom is Great Britain + N. Ireland.

i think anyway

Yes, I saw an explanation for this once: Great Britain literally means the biggest island in the British Isles. Obviously that biggest landmass is England, Scotland and Wales, although I believe it can include small islands that are counties, such as the Isle of Wight.

Great Britain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

British Isles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

UK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_and_Northern_Ireland

So basically:

Great Britain = biggest island

British Isles = the group of islands

United Kingdom = sovereign state

Solved with a diagram (not mine, and they all disagree slightly, e.g. this may be more accurate):

british_isles.png

Anyway, I'm from England.

Edited by Supergrunch

Solved with a diagram (not mine, and they all disagree slightly, e.g. this may be more accurate):

british_isles.png

Anyway, I'm from England.

No wonder people circumvent all of this classification and (annoyingly) say that the Republic of Ireland is UK :p Thanks for sharing.

Doesn't that say that Scotland contains England and Wales?

Anyway, I'm from England too.

Doesn't that say that Scotland contains England and Wales?

I assume it is meant to be circled. Though it is suggesting that England and Wales are part of the same. Which can technically be said to be correct, since Wales is a principality and not a country. But personally I think lumping England and Wales together kind of defeats the purpose of the diagram.

Well in that diagram, set names are in red and set members are in blue, so it's just saying that Scotland is a member of Great Britain. Why they made a smaller nameless set containing England and Wales is unclear, but it could be for the reason Moogle gave. I don't see why that defeats the point of the diagram though - they're still two entities that are put in the same set. It is kind of inconsistent though, because they treat the Channel Islands (and the Isle of Man) differently.

Edit: Also United Kingdom should be in red.