Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Six Feet Under

Caris

Yeah, I just finished this last night. Absolutely fell in love with it. I'm not ready to forget it yet so let's discuss one of the best TV shows of all time.

I loved the way they showed everyone dying, when I saw Ruth turn over I actually said out loud "oh noooo". Great ending and it really makes you think about life.

I've always said The Sopranos was my favourite show of all time but I think it has been knocked of the top spot.

Six Feet Under has the best ending of anything ever. I still tear up whenever I watch it. :sad:

This was the first TV show I started watching when I moved off to university and could finally watch whatever I wanted whenever I wanted on television, and the last season ended just under a year later. It will forever hold a special place in my heart.

So, this might sound weird to some of you, but in our house we have a policy of not watching stuff that is rated as an 18. It's just made sense over the years that it ties in with what we do/don't want to view.

After reading this thread I bought the season 1 boxset believing it to be a 15. Quite clearly shown to be a 15 here. It arrives and is an 18.

Point of my post. What is it that makes it an 18? We're not keen on nudity/swearing. Violence, gore, etc is not a problem.

Back of the box says sex (how gritty is it, how naked?) and drug use (not bothered).

Indulge me ... please?

Having just recently watched the first series, I'd say some of the sex "scenes" are usually the ones in the characters' heads and from I can infer about your standards of what you'd watch I'd say you wouldn't want to watch it.

That's just my opinion, not sure what others might think.

Need to get rest of the series now, damn you Dan-Likes-Trees :p

Swearing is strong and frequent. Sex is heavily implied and there's a fair bit of fairly heavy petting and suggested actions happening just off screen -- both straight and gay.

Nudity... for the life of me I can't recall, but I think there's probably a nip or three throughout the series. The show is essentially a dark hedonistic 'celebration' of life in contrast to the inevitability of death.

If it helps... season 3 and 5 are 15, the others are 18s. Tried to find guidelines for individual episodes but I had no luck.

We're not keen on nudity/swearing. Violence, gore, etc is not a problem.

How American of you. :heh:

But yeah, it's an HBO show, so there's some partial nudity and sex. So if that bothers you, you'd be better off watching something else. :sad:

So, this might sound weird to some of you, but in our house we have a policy of not watching stuff that is rated as an 18. It's just made sense over the years that it ties in with what we do/don't want to view.

After reading this thread I bought the season 1 boxset believing it to be a 15. Quite clearly shown to be a 15 here. It arrives and is an 18.

Point of my post. What is it that makes it an 18? We're not keen on nudity/swearing. Violence, gore, etc is not a problem.

Back of the box says sex (how gritty is it, how naked?) and drug use (not bothered).

Indulge me ... please?

right, from memory:

nudity & sex: Rare, but heavily implied. There's lots of afterglow stuff, some heavy petting as Jay said. oh and they do that ever-so hollywood thing where nobody ever walks around in the buff after sex. Ever.

Lots of swearing. No way around that...but it's not ott. Just how people speak in pretty fraught situations.

Gore is a bit like the sex- each episode opens with a death, so sometimes it's innevitable and a bit gruesome but largely off screen and implied.

There's also a whole lot of dead bodies, as you might imagine. Most of them are naked, or fig leaved.

It's all rather good though, it'd be a shame if you felt you had to send it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just finished Season Two (absolutely brilliant) I have to mention that the sex/racy parts increase. If that's what you're worried about. I mean...it's not too bad, but I guess it's "explicit" for TV, and made me a bit embrassed to be watching it on the train. :p

And the swearing is basically as bad as you can get.

Both are dealt with appropriately/well though.

• 2 weeks later...

----

Now finished Season 3. Powering through / they're relatively short seasons.

I actually am stunned. As a tv show. Too good. Like, please let's forget Battlestar Galactica. Let's just.

It feels so REAL. Yet is surreal and quirky when it wants to be, but somehow communicates real life amazingly. So devastating.

The entire

disappearance of Lisa

was so gutt-wrenching. Because unlike normal depictions of similar situations in tv/films, there was no explanation given, no hints, no truly satisfying conclusion. It was real. When Nate was creating the stories in his head - argh :( . I wished I was dead.

Everything is so undramatic and like real-life. Just when you think a farcical situation is about to arise, they remove it. Like when the body fell out the casket - could have been like a 10 minute running joke thing in any other TV show, but was so deftly done. When Claire just breathes slightly differently and we're suddenly so aware of what it must be like to be her. And Ruth says "Claire I'm sorry for having raised you around so much death" - hit me for 5 damage, I'll be knocked out, I swear.

And the fact it's never elaborated on that they can speak to the dead (not that it's needed since they can't actually, but it's just like a representation of their own thoughts/who they're thinking about). I love so much. Adds too much.

I love how the Season Finales are really un-!!! too. Just like, drawing the curtains closed on the last chapter. Deal with watching next season or don't (but do).

Just...

Has so much to tell me.

I wish Claire had eyebrows though. Considering she otherwise pulls off ginger so well.

Brenda has my hair circa 2007. I love. She was my favourite character last season, but then understandably took a backseat this time. Billy you're annoying me (yet you make total sense). I loved Olivier - overly angry art teacher, yet makes so many valid points I want to live my life by (even if they are contradictory).

• 2 months later...

(I love my string of uncared-for posts)

Now on Season 4. I was hand-over-mouth for That's My Dog.

It's the best TV Show I've seen so far.

I love the music. The fact it's all stunning songs I love - but also that it's all diagetic. The point made of Ruth listening to Woodstock by Joni last season. Claire running upstairs to put Lucky by Radiohead on just to give the bonfire scene a soundtrack, such a human thing. Brenda has lovely taste too. Hadn't heard Just A Ride by Jem in years. And Sia is often played (and I know she famously is the song at the end of season 5) - and I just paused when I heard Claire playing Execution of all Things by Rilo Kiley. The best damn.

It's just so human/real/there's no chaff. When Brenda and her mum have a chat in the canteen, and it just ends with 'Ugh, I hate your new hair..." = brilliance.

• 2 months later...

I love how only post here.

I can't breathe.

Finished series 5 yesterday. I knew Breathe Me was used at the end, it's one of those famous general knowledge things, but even though I'm a Sia fan, I never listened to the song, despite it being her biggest. Clearly fates wanting the finale to have maximum impact.

It's the best.

The best damn thing.

I wish I didn't exaggerate in my life, since I make every/anything into 'the best'. But this actually is.

So well writte/constructed/plottedugh. The characters. Claire. Ruth.

And how no one was just 'resolved' as characters naturally are in TV. It's ugh.

UGH

I just need to live m'life [/Rihanna]. Ruth to Claire at the end. Yes.

The finale was the great thing. Everywhere, everything, everyone.

Yeeesssssss. Best ending. I watched it again on youtube recently and welled up a little. It's absolutely perfect and that montage at the end really hits you. It's a testament to the quality of the show that I genuinely felt for the Fisher clan and watching it all come to an end felt like the end of an actual relationship.

Yeah, like I always feel bad I've never bothered past Season 1 of The Wire, but then...I prefer things I actually like. Wire seemed to be very good, but there's a reason I never continued and still can't be arsed.

Six Feet Under was my best damn thing.

The Wire is essentially no-frills, gritty realism. It's informative, but to some extent there's very little character growth, just the idea that the 'game' is kind of a stagnant cancer that restricts escape and instead creates a world where the only way is down, down, breaking bad down.

There are few in-jokes, and any humour in it at all is wry and kinda sad.

But the script and portrayal of the baltimore streets and the different aspects of the 'war on drugs' is fascinating, and the show is generally just very well made, which is why it's so necessary to watch. Especially if you want to work in that sort of medium!