NEurope
heroicjanitor

OMG lol is in the dictionary

Since I got Firefox 4, the spell checker stopped working. Any suggestions?

Since I got Firefox 4, the spell checker stopped working. Any suggestions?

Last time I used Firefox you needed to install a Dictionary/Language Pack to use the spell check. Is that still the case?

Does the dictionary appear installed when you double click? That's pretty much all I know about mine, they're there when I check my dictionaries :heh:

Last time I used Firefox you needed to install a Dictionary/Language Pack to use the spell check. Is that still the case?

I don't know, but there's a box in the options that says "Check spelling" and I thought ticking it would be enough, but it isn't, clearly.

And, i'll join Ramar if "lyk" gets in. Can't stand that word either.

And "woot" and "smexy".

I don't see what's so wrong with <3. It's a symbol just like "I" is, or "A" is.

Lol words really well as a word. It's really succinct, and is often more descriptive than "That clip is really funny". I never think of it as "laughing out loud" -- that feels really forced and rigid and shit -- it's definitely its own entity.

Lol words really well as a word. It's really succinct, and is often more descriptive than "That clip is really funny". I never think of it as "laughing out loud" -- that feels really forced and rigid and shit -- it's definitely its own entity.

But saying "lol" is rigid and shit.

You don't say "lol". You actually laugh.

I don't see what's so wrong with <3.

It's wrong because it is less than three.

Jeez, you guys are being old and grumpy. :heh: The addition of these words simply reflect how the language is being used. But I guess every generation hates the language of the next. As we laugh at the vocabulary of old people, so will youngsters laugh at our outdated vocabulary.

The addition of these words simply reflect how the language is being used.

When was the last time you saw someone use ttyl? Have you ever heard anyone say it?

When was the last time you saw someone use ttyl? Have you ever heard anyone say it?

Young'uns say it I believe.

Young'uns say it I believe.

I'm pretty sure they don't though. Why would they when "cya" is so much easier to type? (And reflects what you actually say.)

Surely it's more a case of being able to look up the definition of it if you see it written down?

Jeez, you guys are being old and grumpy. :heh: The addition of these words simply reflect how the language is being used. But I guess every generation hates the language of the next. As we laugh at the vocabulary of old people, so will youngsters laugh at our outdated vocabulary.
We then, lets just throw our language over to the chavs and include 'innit' and 'pruk' aswell.

Surely it's more a case of being able to look up the definition of it if you see it written down?

But there are loads of much more commonly used initialisations that aren't in the dictionary.

FTW for example (which I assume isn't in the dictionary).

We then, lets just throw our language over to the chavs and include 'innit' and 'pruk' aswell.

How very right-wing...

I don't really understand this snobbery. Use words you want to use. I'd prefer to have the option to look up the definition of pruk if I needed to.

Language is a living organism. Deal with. I hate the concept of having to appeal to Oxford to check whether a word is proper or not.

Jeez, you guys are being old and grumpy. :heh:

I don't mind new words so much as new symbols. Needlessly complicates a language. We have the alphabet we don't need an actual drawing of a heart... Goes against the language in a fundamental way.

But saying "lol" is rigid and shit.

You don't say "lol". You actually laugh.

Then why don't you type "hahaha"? ;)

Besides, most of you are ignoring the fact that "lol" isn't necessarily used in place of a laugh, it is used as a quicker, more flexible alternative for "laugh" ("Man, I lolled so hard", or "That was lol worthy")