Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario 3D Land

Not since the implementation of four right-hand buttons

Many more Mario games have been B=Run/A=Jump than not. And on the DS you had an option to swap them over. If you were a snes player you're used to it, but if you mostly played Mario on the NES, Gameboy, GBA and DS, it's strange.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many more Mario games have been B=Run/A=Jump than not. And on the DS you had an option to swap them over. If you were a snes player you're used to it, but if you mostly played Mario on the NES, Gameboy, GBA and DS, it's strange.

I've been playing Mario games all my life, since the days the NES was new and I find it more natural to use Y for Run and B for Jump

OK you were born when it was released (I confused your join date with your birth date :woops:), but you won't have been playing games until it was at least 2-3 years old.

LAWYERED :p

You thought I was 6 years old? Interesting. I know I look younger than 25, but not that much younger :p

And ok, I didn't play the NES at launch, but one of my earliest memories from when I was 2 was playing on the NES so my point is still valid.

OK will do, it was posted out yesterday.

I wasn't planning on giving it a play right away (I don't have much spare time at the minute), but I might give it a bit of a go.

I'm glad to here good opinions on the game, because I've really been a bit unsure on whether to get it or not. I've never really been a fan of the 2D Mario games, and have to say I didn't like Sunshine or Galaxy 2 either.

Mario 64 and Galaxy 1 were both incredible, so hopefully whatever it was about those I'll find with this game as well!

OK will do, it was posted out yesterday.

I wasn't planning on giving it a play right away (I don't have much spare time at the minute), but I might give it a bit of a go.

I'm glad to here good opinions on the game, because I've really been a bit unsure on whether to get it or not. I've never really been a fan of the 2D Mario games, and have to say I didn't like Sunshine or Galaxy 2 either.

Mario 64 and Galaxy 1 were both incredible, so hopefully whatever it was about those I'll find with this game as well!

I feel the exact same way Retro!!

Didn't like Sunshine or Galaxy 2 either! And yeah, Mario 64 and Galaxy 1 are regarded as some of the best games ever by me!

With that in mind then...!

I have just finished Mario Land. And I personally think it is one of the best Mario games I have ever played.

The final level is without doubt the best I have played from a Mario game and I didn't want it to end!

There is still loads of stuff for me to do like collecting stuff etc - which I am starting now, but I think it is the best game on the 3ds by a mile.

I'm sure you will love it!

Let us know your thoughts I'm intrigued now to see what you think! :)

How can anyone not like galaxy 2!? It's a better galaxy 1. Pretty much all marios are incredible in my eyes. Easily my favourite game series

It was just more of the same I think and that's why I wasn't fussed with it.

Everything that was brilliant about the first one was expected in the second - there was nothing exciting about it. Plus the Yoshi sections in my opinion, were torture :shakehead so that put a big downer on it for me.

I just found myself getting bored very quickly with it.

And Sunshine was just Sunshine. The less said the better really :laughing:

I preferred Galaxy 1. Galaxy 2 felt a bit lazy and less cinematic. Some of the galaxies in 2 were a waste of space.

As for Mario 3D Land, finally 100%-ed it this morning. Amazing game, but I'm finished with it now having done every level twice! Love the return to retro artwork for the snapshots.

Don't get people not enjoying Sunshine...

yeah sunshine get's quite a bit of criticism, I enjoyed it. one of the main reasons for it's unfair criticism is due to it being so different, nintendo stuck a FLUDD on Mario's back. that idea most likely came from luigis mansion (poltergust 3000) as both games were in development at around the same time and both were released in the same year. (PAL 2002)

but what most people do is compare it with what came before and after it, meaning Mario 64 & Galaxy. when you compare it to them imo, it's not as good. sunshine received stellar reviews! but it's never said on it's own, it's always being compared to its predecessors/successors, im not saying it shouldn't be, but that's probably the main reason for some of the negative comments.

yeah sunshine get's quite a bit of criticism, I enjoyed it. one of the main reasons for it's unfair criticism is due to it being so different, nintendo stuck a FLUDD on Mario's back. that idea most likely came from luigis mansion (poltergust 3000) as both games were in development at around the same time and both were released in the same year. (PAL 2002)

but what most people do is compare it with what came before and after it, meaning Mario 64 & Galaxy. when you compare it to them imo, it's not as good. sunshine received stellar reviews! but it's never said on it's own, it's always being compared to its predecessors/successors, im not saying it shouldn't be, but that's probably the main reason for some of the negative comments.

Yup I would agree with that Dem0.

From my memories of Sunshine it was disappointing compared to Mario 64 as you say. The reason I love M64 so much is all of the different worlds. Everyone has a favourite one - mine being Jolly Roger Bay :heart:, but Sunshine just didn't give you that kind of experience. It didn't feel very Mario-esque as you ran around a big sunny plaza with a water gun strapped to your back lol.

It was still good - but it is definitely one of the weakest Mario games imo.

Back on topic though - currently going through to collect all of the star coins in Mario Land. They haven't half tucked some of them away! Love the satisfaction though when you figure out how to get to one that is visible but you can't reach! They love to tease :grin:

This landed through my letterbox at the start of the week and I'm up to special world 5 having collected all the coins and I've just noticed it records whether you hit the flag at its peak so I've been going through some of the previous levels to get those. I think if I had wanted to, I could have easily finished it by now but believe it or not, I have been taking my time.

My initial thoughts before I got the game were about it being a bit simple, a bit short, a bit easy and the controls being a bit off. I can safely say that I still feel that way now. I'm not saying I never died or anything but most were down to me expecting Mario to behave/control just like all his other 3D games which he doesn't with his slower speed and nerfed jumps. I guess the change just takes some getting used to after 15 years of near identical control. The special worlds are proving a bit tricker thanks to some inspired/devilish enemy placement. Just a shame so much is rehashed from the main run.

But, I do absolutely love 64 and the Galaxy games and whilst this isn't on par with either, it's certainly a good effort - absolutely leagues above the questionable New Super Mario Bros games. It just strikes me that the best, or most unique levels have had their concept robbed from the Galaxy games (Flip Swap Galaxy and Beat Block Galaxy to be exact). I wish it was a bit more daring and had something really special of its own.

It's a comfortable blending of the 2D and 3D designs but I prefer everything about the 3D games and sometimes seeing the ideas of Mario's past interwined with the new doesn't sit well with me.

Graphically it's quite nice thanks to simple shapes (almost every platform is a square block) and even simpler textures that don't lose anything on the low res screen - even with 3D on. The fixed camera also helps to make sure it's framed as well as possible, whilst making some graphical shortcuts possible too I'd imagine. Just a shame when you have the Star Coins in places that the camera struggles to show - that's pretty cheap in my book. I've played with the 3D set to max the entire time, in the normal view (looks much nicer than extended), and having tried a couple of levels with it off, the difference feels massive. I didn't really notice it at first but I can't imagine me ever playing with it off again. It all feels so flat without it.

I've not been sold on that main theme for the game since the first trailer but I'm really liking it now and it fits well with the game. But a couple of tracks robbed from the Galaxy games can't hide the fact it seems to be lacking in variety - I'd argue it highlights it more.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Just started this a couple of hours ago, up to World 2-2/3 maybe... the one when the platforms flip from Blue to Red everytime you jump, which has led to me loosing a few lives, so I'm calling it there for now.

So far though, I'm really liking the game!

It had this great charm and style from the off, from it's great graphics and short cutscenes (right from the stormy Tanooki Tree intro which was great), the way it hurries you through them is a refreshing change of pace, and with the little 2D pop-up letters etc...

And I don't mind the music either, having not been a fan of it in trailers.

Really enjoyed some of the levels so far. And the binocular stations are pretty cool...

And all the Mario nostalgia, the 2D sprites, the backdrops, Toads being prisoners in the Castles and things like... 'ooh I wonder if I can go into the doorway of that 2D Castle in the background... I doubt....... oh I can!' :D

I had been getting 3 Stars until that first propellor hat level, when I started it without a Tanooki suit or something so couldn't get the first one... and there's been a couple of flagpoles I haven't got gold on... but I guess I should save these now for Luigi?

However, I have to agree with @Captain Falcon in that the controls just aren't right (atm anyway).

Having a run button complicates things, and I can't understand why they did it.

Now you're holding run, but you have jump and attack to reach for (combined with long jump on the shoulder button) and at the moment I'm struggling to feel fully in control/respond quickly, as I'll forget which button's which in the heat of it.

It's strange really because Nintendo are all 'accessible, accessible these days' even including in game guide through there games... and the controls just aren't.

But it's been fun up until now! And controls aside I feel like I've clicked with this Mario game which is great! I think you could well have been right @Aneres11! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!