NEurope
or else you will DIE

Super Mario 3D Land

Don't get your hopes up too high, Jamba.

Unless you loved the challenge comets in the Galaxy games. Then you'll love what this game has in store for you.

It is more than just that though...

I still don't like the movement in this game - why should you need to hold a run button with an analogue controller? It's not too bad in games like GTA, but when precision platforming is needed, it can be a bit of a pain, especially when you're trying to do a long or triple jump. And I also hate that you have to charge up the backflip. I just can't see any benefit from it, unless you enjoy fiddly controls.

These are only minor niggles though, it is an excellent game - full of usual Mario charm, but a slight disappointment for a 3D Mario game.

*MEGA BUMP*

10137680.jpg

Just 100%'ed this game :D

Thought I'd stop playing when I got all the Star Coins to get a 4 star file...didn't think I'd bother with the 5 star...then I looked up what was required for a 5 star and said feck it.

Had to replay almost every level as I had mainly done the first 8 worlds with just Mario and the 8 Special worlds with just Luigi.... but since I didn't have to worry about looking for Star Coins it was like a beat the clock challenge on all the levels :D

Finally got a 5 star file unlocked the final Bonus level and beat that with each Brother :D (was a tricky level too...took me a few goes, one little slip can see you screwing up easily)

Loved the "Thank You" at the end too... but had hoped I'd get something else for beating it...ah well....done everything there was to do in the game...can't trade it in though as it was a gift from my sister last Xmas... (I can't trade in games I get as gifts :heh:)

*MEGA BUMP*

10137680.jpg

Just 100%'ed this game :D

Thought I'd stop playing when I got all the Star Coins to get a 4 star file...didn't think I'd bother with the 5 star...then I looked up what was required for a 5 star and said feck it.

Had to replay almost every level as I had mainly done the first 8 worlds with just Mario and the 8 Special worlds with just Luigi.... but since I didn't have to worry about looking for Star Coins it was like a beat the clock challenge on all the levels :D

Finally got a 5 star file unlocked the final Bonus level and beat that with each Brother :D (was a tricky level too...took me a few goes, one little slip can see you screwing up easily)

Loved the "Thank You" at the end too... but had hoped I'd get something else for beating it...ah well....done everything there was to do in the game...can't trade it in though as it was a gift from my sister last Xmas... (I can't trade in games I get as gifts :heh:)

Very weird. I did the same thing yesterday too, five starred it after a long absence playing it. And what a game it is. I got 4 shiny stars on nsmb 2 and was really underwhelmed by it. Paying this reminded me how much I love mario games.

Started playing through this game again, and can't put it down. What a fantastic little gem it is. Far better than NSMBU, way more polished, more depth, and just generally more fun, IMO. Great levels, loads more originality and innovation, and not a re-used sound track in sight! The perfect blend of Galaxy and SMB3 :)

I started replaying this today too. It is indeed brilliant fun. Better still, it's my free, digital copy, so I won't be tempted to sell it!

Personally, I like NSMB 2 as well. I just feel Mario is the series Nintendo hasn't put a foot wrong with recently, on either Wii or 3DS.

Thanks Nintendo! :)

I did the first five worlds last night and I can't believe how good it is. The graphics, the music... not only is the audio quality top notch, the tunes are incredibly atmospheric. Plus, the 3D is outrageously good. It's probably the only 3DS game that I have to play in 3D.

What's really bowling me over is how good the level design is. Take the first sand level, for instance, or the first level you get the Boomerang Suit. One moment you're being fired from a canon, the next you're on an ascending platform fighting and dodging. The power-ups themselves - Fire Flower, Raccoon Suit, Boomerang Suit - are probably the best collection a 3D Mario game has ever had. All of them feel fun and worthwhile.

I honestly think this is my favourite Mario game from EAD Tokyo and I wouldn't be sorry to have another one.

Great comments as ever Grazza. You've made me want to play through again!

All of which begs the question... why on earth did you sell it in the first place?!

:p

All of which begs the question... why on earth did you sell it in the first place?!

Ha I'm guilty of this too Lens! I sold my 3ds due to not many games being out / coming out that interested me until later this year. Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing etc.

Anyway I am seriously kicking myself. I gave up an Ambassador 3ds, a jam packed activity log and a load of great games that I now haven't got anymore!

:shakehead

Lesson learned!

The worst thing is getting Mario Kart again and trying to 3 star everything / unlock all items all over again!!

Only saving grace is my 3ds is now the Pikachu one. Which I :heart: Ha.

Ha I'm guilty of this too Lens! I sold my 3ds due to not many games being out / coming out that interested me until later this year. Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing etc.

That's good to hear! That Pikachu XL looks pretty cute. Are you taking part in the Mario Kart League this year? You've reminded me I should probably join in. The poor 3DS hasn't had much of a look in since the Wii U arrived.

The graphics, the music... not only is the audio quality top notch, the tunes are incredibly atmospheric.

I love that some of the music is so 'right' and classic it feels like it's been around forever. These two spring to mind in particular:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The are two very minor things that could have been improved. Firstly, a new ghost house theme would've be nice instead of a midi version of the one from Galaxy (the reuse mania did start to creep in here! ;)) and, perhaps more importantly, I wish they'd decided to break the bank and record a real sax for the main theme - the midi one does my nut in! :)

What's really bowling me over is how good the level design is.

Wait until you get to the special worlds. Pure handheld Mario genius!

That's good to hear! That Pikachu XL looks pretty cute. Are you taking part in the Mario Kart League this year?

Yup. I took part last year but had to stop as my winter tennis practice started on the same night the league ran. :mad:

Anyway, this year the evening is free! So I'll be there. Although some of the guys on here are crazy good! :cry: Ha.

Because...

Wait until you get to the special worlds. Pure handheld Mario genius!

...I got to this bit and didn't like it! Shadow Mario is a real pain in the butt. I hate that guy! :heh:

Agree about the snow music and how the main theme could do with some real sax!

Just picked this up on Wednesday with a shinny new flame red 3ds. LOVE it. If every there was an advert for 3 D gaming this is it. I like how the 3D isn't always in your face. Sometimes it's the subtle flourishes that look best. Like the butterflies outside each toad house. Only up to World 4 so much left.

Woohoo! I've finally beaten the bit I was stuck at when I bought Super Mario 3D Land in 2011! I had previously got further into the game than I thought:

and[/i] a boss, but of course that is not the case. That'll teach me not to have a defeatist attitude!

Now, I have completed the first 15 worlds as Mario, all Star Coins, all Gold Flagpoles. Just Special World 8 to go!

What a great game.

Well just "beat" this as in the credits roll...as we know there is some errr content to play

Is it really just the special worlds with shadow mario causing havoc?

I kind of was expecting more tbh...giantbomb have talked about it offen as to how the game opens up once you pass World 8 and I'm sure I get it. But hey I'm enjoying the game a hell of a lot so more of it can only be a good thing.

What's to gain by going back and getting all the big coins and flag poles in the standard levels...have a lot of them but still some to get?

I think the post-game content gets way too much credit for something that's essentially just the prankster comets from the Super Mario Galaxy games. But yeah, it's all just remixed levels, though far from all of them use Shadow Mario.

Getting the Star Coins and golden flags is needed to get five stars on your profile, which in turn will unlock a final bonus level. So if you're interested in playing that, go for it. Otherwise there's no point.

Edited by Magnus

I think the post-game content gets way too much credit for something that's essentially just the prankster comets from the Super Mario Galaxy games. But yeah, it's all just remixed levels, though far from all of them use Shadow Mario.

Getting the Star Coins and golden flags is needed to get five stars on your profile, which in turn will unlock a final bonus level. So if you're interested in playing that, go for it. Otherwise there's no point.

Cheers...yeah it does seem that it is basically the same as SMG. Anyway will play through the Secret Levels but I have enough other stuff to play that I'm not going to break my balls to get all the star coins and golden flags right now!

Stuck on Special World 8-3 now. Darn, it's similar to the last one I was stuck on but even harder.

I don't know, I think I'm in the minority, but in my opinion EAD Tokyo go overboard with the post-game content. It seems much more difficult than anything in 64/Sunshine to me.

EDIT - Done it. 4-starred the game. Here we go for all 5!

Edited by Grazza

I've still not finished this game. Not even done all the normal levels, never mind all the extra stuff. And I've had the game since launch.

I just don't really like the way it controls. It's supposed to be a 3D game. Why do you have to hold a button to run? I find it hard to do long jumps so have missed a lot of the gold flagpoles and I hate that you have to charge up a backflip. After the brilliance of SMG's controls, this feels like a step backwards in the series. I may finish it one day though as it's not a bad game, just hasn't gripped me like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. Feels more like the NSMB games which I'm not that keen on.

Stuck on Special World 8-3 now. Darn, it's similar to the last one I was stuck on but even harder.

I don't know, I think I'm in the minority, but in my opinion EAD Tokyo go overboard with the post-game content. It seems much more difficult than anything in 64/Sunshine to me.

EDIT - Done it. 4-starred the game. Here we go for all 5!

Harder than all Sunshine's blue coins?

Harder than mario wings to the sky? Harder than tick tock clock? Harder than...well, I can't remember what else I found hard - but I definitely struggled more with some SM64 than SM3DL! However, it's quite nice to see some challenge in Mario again, I really enjoyed the difficulty across SM3DL.

The only negative I can think of in this wonderful game is the amount of things you need to do before it unlocks the final level. All the star coins in every level, and golden flagpoles as both Mario AND Luigi? Almost taking the piss there.

The only thing I don't like about the controls is a funny thing, actually. I don't mind holding a button to run - the thing I'm not keen on is the combination of left-right sections, yet it's not locked to a fixed plane. In other words, this is a true 3D game that sometimes looks like a 2.5D one. In Super Mario Sunshine you've got a C-stick, so you can line up your long jumps better, but in this, you just have to be really, really accurate with your angles.

It's a tiny complaint, and not even really a complaint considering it's not designed for dual-analogue hardware.

Harder than all Sunshine's blue coins?

Harder than mario wings to the sky? Harder than tick tock clock? Harder than...well, I can't remember what else I found hard - but I definitely struggled more with some SM64 than SM3DL! However, it's quite nice to see some challenge in Mario again, I really enjoyed the difficulty across SM3DL.

You're right, I've 4-starred it now (just need to complete it with Luigi) and this game isn't that hard. But I still say Super Mario Galaxy 2's Star 242 is most definitely the hardest moment in a 3D Mario.

You're right, I've 4-starred it now (just need to complete it with Luigi) and this game isn't that hard. But I still say Super Mario Galaxy 2's Star 242 is most definitely the hardest moment in a 3D Mario.

Ah, I've not properly played/owned Galaxy 2(not to mention not actually even finished mario game on galaxy 1 100%) so I can't judge on that. I think I had hairier moments on SM64 than I did on SM3DL, but then I've 100%'d SM64 and not SM3DL; also I've come to notice that some reason I was a bit shitter at games when younger than I am now. Possibly lack of patience.