NEurope
or else you will DIE

Super Mario 3D Land

its friend list update, online friends pushed to the front, and theres a big button to let you join their game.

out of interest, what happens if the person is offline or in a single player game?

while i was writing this fused_king was online using mii plaza, and he was sent to the front.

The game is really, really lovely. It's a shame you can feel how short it is from the get go, with the first world only really having 4 levels. But the gameplay is EXACTLY what it says it is. 2D Mario in 3D. Would love a Super Mario 3D Land 2...

Just finished World 6. Yes, the levels are short but they are all a joy to play, and I'm looking forward to replaying them over again, along with seeing what the game has to offer me when I finish the last stage. My only complaint is that the platforming in the Doomship levels are over a bit too soon.

WOW! Totally wasn't expecting it today. I checked this morning and I hadn't had an e-mail saying it had been despatched like usual.

Currently at World 4. For some reason the controls didn't click for me at first :o, I still don't really like how run is mapped to Y/X, and jump to B/A, would have much preferred to use B for run. :hmm:

But yeah, getting used to it now anyway. And other than that it's fantastic! :)

Liking the (slightly) improved Friend List too, definitely makes more sense to organise it by online status.

Anyone know if the update added more stuff, or was that it?

I've not noticed any changes other than "Join the game" button on the friend's list, and nobody's ever playing games I can join.

I've not noticed any changes other than "Join the game" button on the friend's list, and nobody's ever playing games I can join.
Yeah, don't reckon it'll get much use until Mario Kart comes out.

Is it even functional with currently available online titles? :blank:

I still don't really like how run is mapped to Y/X, and jump to B/A, would have much preferred to use B for run. :hmm:

I take it you can't change it..? :hmm: I was expecting it to be B to Run and A to Jump as well as I kinda feel like it will be kinda uncomfortable the other way. It works great on something like the SNES, of course, but it somehow feels preferable the other way with DS and 3DS. I also hope A is accelerate in Mario Kart 7 :indeed:

Weren't the run/jump buttons the same in New Super Mario Bros. on the DS? I thought that worked great.

You people must have really weirdly shaped thumbs. :heh:

Currently at World 4. For some reason the controls didn't click for me at first :o, I still don't really like how run is mapped to Y/X, and jump to B/A, would have much preferred to use B for run. :hmm:

But yeah, getting used to it now anyway. And other than that it's fantastic! :)

Liking the (slightly) improved Friend List too, definitely makes more sense to organise it by online status.

Anyone know if the update added more stuff, or was that it?

Whaaaaaaat? I love that run is mapped to Y. I cannot play SMB on the VC with run on B and jump on A.

Goes back to super mario world for me.

the controls feel very good for me, i play the same way i did in nsmb, im having a blast with this.

also if you do nothing at the start screen for about 1-2 mins, then theres like a small practice stage in the form of those classic eye illusion things (similar to the trailer), but when 3D is on it helps you to understand the stage better.

during gameplay when the 3D is on press down on the dpad for added depth, and up for normal 3D

I take it you can't change it..? :hmm:
Doesn't look like it, no. :(

Weren't the run/jump buttons the same in New Super Mario Bros. on the DS?
They were indeed, but you could change them to the old-school B/A setup in the options ;)... so my really weirdly shaped thumb was then right at home. :heh:

I'm pretty sure I used Y Run and B Jump on New Super Mario Bros but my thumb doesn't seem to want to go that way when I hold the 3DS in my hands ::shrug:

I still haven't heard back from TheHut regarding my order so I may have to check Tesco on Friday after work as their 3DS games seem to be retailing for something like £31.70.

Edited by nekunando

My the hut order still says waiting stock pick :( i orderd the one with free headphones for £29.99

i doubt it will come on friday, very poor service

Mine also arrived. Probably better that it arrived before Skyward Sword as it will distract me until it arrives. Or it would if my 3DS's battery went flat half way through1-2 :cry:

Loved what I played so far and I've only done 2 stages. Mario doesn't feel slow at all to me and the stages are perfect sized for a portable game.

My the hut order still says waiting stock pick :( i orderd the one with free headphones for £29.99

i doubt it will come on friday, very poor service

You're in the same boat as me then :hmm: I haven't heard back from them yet but when I do, I'll let you know what is said. I assume your estimated delivery is 2/12/2011 too..? :sad:

If it makes you feel better, I am insanely jealous of the headphones that The Hut were offering!

Hopefully one of you can post some pics of them when it arrives!? They looked so freakin cool! : peace:

Dispatch date Est: 02/12/2011 which is due to the headphones wtf :(

even tho they are in stock on their own at £9.97

if its not posted by friday im going to cancel as they dont deserve customers if they treat us like this.

Edited by yesteryeargames

If it makes you feel better, I am insanely jealous of the headphones that The Hut were offering!

Hopefully one of you can post some pics of them when it arrives!? They looked so freakin cool! : peace:

They do sell them seperately for £9.95 if you really like them...

http://www.thehut.com/games/games-accessories/super-mario-in-ear-headphones-ds-3ds/10565957.html

Or you can get them by pre-ordering MK7 with them.

Getting the game two days early and cheaper than most places = better than having to hold out longer for the game because of some headphones... although even I'll admit they do look pretty nice. :heh:

This game is utterly fantastic, I've 'finished' the main game which I was blown away by, but the post-game? Without wanting to spoil anything major all I'll say is this game just keeps on giving; even with the number of levels it has in total I suppose it could still be considered 'short' but damn is it sweet. :D

Edited by S.C.G

Phoned the hut and bad news,

They said they will not be getting the mario/headphone bundle in stock ever as the first shipment sold out all the rest of us with open orders will not be getting them, they also told me on the phone they wont be getting mario 3d land solus back in , and my only option is the cancel the order !

wtf :(

Edited by yesteryeargames

Personally, I didn't have much expectation for this game - I wasn't sceptical, but nor was I excited. In the end, I just ordered it because it was Mario and I knew it'd be good. I've just tried it today and... it's great!

OK, I've only had time to do two levels, but all the Mario gameplay is in place - long jumps, wall jumps, nooks and crannies... (my favourite game in the series is probably Super Mario World on the SNES.) I must admit, a run button combined with the Slide Pad did sound strange on paper, but it works really well. Feels as natural as the 2D games to me.

I was just wondering, isn't this game a bit too short to be worth about 45 euros?

It sounds like an absolute brilliant Mario game, but way too short and ....hmmm.... compact?