NEurope
or else you will DIE

Super Mario 3D Land

Edge reviewed this in it's latest issue and gave it a score of 8/10

Not too bad, what did they what the negatives were? I'm guessing length

Not too bad, what did they what the negatives were? I'm guessing length

I haven't got the issue yet ( planning on picking it up tomorrow ) but according to Gaf the main issue is the speed of the game, the walking feels slow.

Here's a quote from the review.

But there's a joyousness here that wins out, a simple delight in the basics of running, jumping, collecting coins and bouncing into the air that leaves these mild disappointments behind, and a creative blending of Marios past and present that makes the unabashed retread that was New Super Mario Bros appear almost cynical.

Super Mario 3D Land is a magpie of a game, but it fuses its 2D and 3D influences to make a Mario that feels fresher than an handheld Mario in years. It's not a new Galaxy, but it's an ideal companion piece to EAD Tokyo's Wii games. Whereas they pushed up against the edge of the universe to show us what an unfettered Mario can do, Super Mario 3D Land does the opposite. It homes in, with a clockmaster's precision and a playful gleam in its eye, on what Mario does best.

Well walking is meant to be slow, it's a callback to the old days when you had to hold a button to run.

Serebii I think you've missed the point.

Even when you're running, the whole game is generally slow. Compare it to SMW which is fast/slippery and you'll see what people mean.

Stop jumping on the defense wagon just for the sake of it :heh:

I was hoping for 8 or 9 from Edge, so not too bad.

Well walking is meant to be slow, it's a callback to the old days when you had to hold a button to run.

Agreed. Also the tight camera sort of limits the speed at which Mario can run. It looks fine to me.

I'm a bit annoyed at this... ever since the first video Mario has looked rediculously slow!

Yes the levels are smaller and more confined, but there was no need to take it to the awkward looking extreme they have.

From the vids marios movement did seem slow, but IMO, it didnt look that bad, perhaps you'll really understand if you've played it.

From the vids marios movement did seem slow, but IMO, it didnt look that bad, perhaps you'll really understand if you've played it.

I played four levels from the E3 built and it felt immensely slow (even with the running) and rather dull. Then again, I also really disliked New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World so it's probably more that 2D Mario games don't agree with me, and this very much feels like a 2D Mario.

I think it looks fun. Also, my girlfriend has never been god at Mario-games but enjoyed them nonetheless, so I hope the general slowness of the game might be a good thing for her. (Yes, I'm trying to turn her into somewhat of a gamer; making her watch Big Bang Theory and watching me play game actually works.)

(Yes, I'm trying to turn her into somewhat of a gamer; making her watch Big Bang Theory and watching me play game actually works.)

I'd kill my girlfriend before forcing her to watch The Big Bang Theory.

I'd kill my girlfriend before forcing her to watch The Big Bang Theory.

She actually likes it so it's not by force.

She actually likes it so it's not by force.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse... :p

---------------------------

I still can't wait for this game, I'm sure it can't really be that slow surely and in case it'll be a amrked improvement over New Super Mario Bros. ;)

I'm not too worried about the slowness.

Plus most of you seem to like Super Mario Land, so what do you know about what makes a good Super Mario game, anyway? :p

I don't know if that makes it better or worse... :p

I'd kill my girlfriend if I ever caught her watching The Big Bang Theory.

(Or possibly just dump her.)

Another day, another review. This time it's Famitsu's turn.

Mario makes his 3DS debut next week.

Famitsu is busting out the 10s again. This time, Super Mario 3D Land was the recipient of high marks from the weekly publication. The four person review crew awarded the 3DS Mario game 9, 9, 10 and 10.

Plus most of you seem to like Super Mario Land, so what do you know about what makes a good Super Mario game, anyway? :p
Super Mario Land is definately the most fun I've had from a 2D Mario. Not sure what it was about it... Maybe the faster pace of the game, the wacky worlds, I'm not sure, but it was great!

Gutted I know this (though kind of predictable). Is this what Miaymoto meant be it getting harder after you complete the game, you just have to complete it again, but this time with Barry Chuckle!

Australia's Pre-Order Bonus!!

154398_detail_v2.jpg

and for Mario Kart

152857_detail_v2.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

For fucks sake.
Pretty much! Aus get these hats, Japan get their Club Nintendo 3DS etc...

Hopefully me might see these over here too?!

I had a go on this today. Great fun, even if the levels were a bit shorter than I'd expected. I'm really looking forward to getting the full game in my hands. Even better, though, was Mario Kart 7 - certainly a worthy successor to MKDS, and making superb use of 3D.