NEurope
Beast

Lady Gaga

I like Lady Gaga and I like her new single "Born This Way" but it sounds way too much like Madonna's Express Yourself. I haven't read anything about this single so she may have said this but it really sounds like it.

Is anybody else reminded of it? I still like it but I can't help but merge Madonna's Express Yourself and a bit of Vogue too. I may make a remix...

Edited by Animal

Yeah everyone's comparing it to that Madonna song.

Personally/thankfully I'm not familiar enough with that song to make a comparison, but what I can say is this isn't what I was expecting from her comeback single, which I was really looking forward to. I'm a fan.

But the song just doesn't hold my attention like so many of her songs do. I find myself zoning out of it. The Fame Monster songs were a real step up from those on The Fame, it felt like a real development which I assumed would continue, but to me, Born This Way sounds more like an album track from The Fame, a step backwards.

Edited by Retro_Link

I was chatting to the people who made her Grammy's Egg today. Lovely people.

Can't stand the music though tbh.

I was chatting to the people who made her Grammy's Egg today. Lovely people.

People made an egg for her grandma?

I'm a Madonna fan and I barely hear a resemblance in there. It's there, yeah, but David Guetta/Kelly Rowland, TLC etc are much more apparent.

I enjoy it superficially as pop, and the FACT she's still so popular and trying to be all "Woo! transgender/gay/Lebanese!" will only ever be a good thing, but it's a bit clumsy. I'm not particularly swayed.

But since this song is just giving a better song (over 2 decades old) more exposure, in the spirit of the moment:

^ Her performance at the Grammy's was actually very good. Made me like the song a bit more I think.

Well, I think I've already voiced my opinions about her quite frequently on these forums :p

She's great though. Grammy performance made her song 100x better in my ears :)

As for Madonna, she kinda avoided the question on Jay Leno but did say that Madonna and co. sent her an e-mail giving her the ok.

Also mentioned elsewhere about collaborating with Indian artists'. Hmm :)

Yeah the Grammy performance was good, Whip that hair Gaga!

It's not that it's a bad song, it's just that it's a bit throw away. And that's not what I expect from her lately. Wasn't the sound I was expecting.

but did say that Madonna and co. sent her an e-mail giving her the ok.
LOL, how very kind of her! :indeed: Edited by Retro_Link

I love how she wiped her hair on stage and then had Willow Smith sitting on her lap, presumably during an interval :D

I agree about the sound too. I prefer how Scheibe sounds.

I don't really like the new song. It's quite underwhelming. I liked her at the Grammys though. Made me like the song a bit more, or at least become accepting of it. Was a bit surprised at how straight the preformance was (for her!). But she sounded great. And the egg was amazing!

I love how today at work, the owners of the hotel i work at, how are posh and don't really watch tv, were discussing THE EGG over breakfast! Wow!! That made me smile. People adore talking about her, good or bad. :yay:

In her most recent interview i think she said that the others songs on the album are very different to Born This Way... hope so!

I would call myself a gaga fan. She's different from anything nowadays and is really bringing back the "fun" in music that was missing for years.

The lyrics may sound corny and obvious but in all fairness, don't forget most people are IDIOTS or kids. She's REALLY trying to hammer in this point and there's no metaphors necessary!

A lot of people think good lyrics are those that have duel-meanings or riddled with metaphors. Not really. Imagine by john lennon has very straight-forward lyrics and has a message that makes you think..

I love all the hate it's getting though.. I think it's a hard song to hate because... there's nothing REALLY wrong with the song. It's only crime is being underwhelming, but it's hard to full on hate it. but people found a way... comparing it to a madonna song

well here you go... What do you think? Personally I don't give a shit I just enjoy the song and the message.

Hate the song. It's cheesy pop, not like the stuff of hers i do like.

Andy, I never knew you liked her, haha. I didn't like Just Dance and I still don't now for some odd reason but as soon as she released Poker Face and her other stuff, I loved her since. I know Born This Way isn't her usual but I still like it. Granted it's not as good as her other stuff but it means well and the beat is actually catchy...well it's starting on me, haha.

She needs to do more stuff with Beyonce or maybe a song or two with Britney would be too awesome. An interesting mix: Lady Gaga and Eminem maybe?

Edited by Animal

I can't imagine Lady GaGa wanting to work with Britney Spears...kind the opposite of her, in a bad way. :/

She should collab with some people who have apparently "inspired" her, like Grace Jones or Yoko Ono. She has done live, but to put in on record cements it a bit more.

Not really...

I will never understand why just because a fairly normal popstar dresses unusually, they get branded as "Insane!". She's as sane as you or I, and her music is infinitely less quirky or interesting as she presents herself, proving just how "with it" she is.

I could walk down the street with prosthetic protrustions all over my body and meat instead of trousers, but it doesn't make me crazy.

There's too many collaborations these days. Let Lady GaGa just do her thing on her own and those that like her, like her those that don't, don't.

I like her eccentricities more than her actual music. I saw her live at the Glastonbury Festival a couple of years ago and it was the most fun ever, but I wouldn't listen to her music like personally at home.

But she's not doing anything new, and I don't think she thinks this either. There are lots of nuttier singers out there, but she's made it a bit more mainstream.

Yes it would.

Under what definition of crazy? If you've made a logical journey to the fact you want to make a point about how boring "normal" fashion is by dressing in an unusual way, how is that in any way insane/crazy? Crazy means that you are unable to think/process logically.

Popstars have money. They have resources. Their purpose of existence is to perform and entertain. Why do the majority of popstars only ever go half way?

Lady GaGa goes to the top (not over the top, because in a world where you exist to entertain, is there any way you can go over the top?), because that's what she's there for. She's there to entertain.

Wearing a nice dress by Gucci is not entertaining -- we saw that in the 60s. Getting up on stage and singing a contrived song about love called "I Want U Back" is not entertaining (people might have thought it was in the 90s, but really it gets boring). Logically, wearing a fruit stand on your face, if it gets people talking and smiling, or being like "What the fuck?" is achieving what a pop star should be aiming to do.

Pop music is shite, contrived, emotionless. If its not entertaining, whats the point?

I'd actually say Lady GaGa is the opposite of crazy. She's one of the few people in the pop music industry who is calculated. She knows what she's doing. She knows to write a song which is immediately catchy and accesible, which all the 14yo's across the planet can say "OMG, I know how she feels, I feel like an outcast too. But I was born this way!!" when they hear it. She has things worked out, and that's why she's one of the most successful and rich performers in the pop industry.