N-Europe

Max Anarchy

Happenstance

Platinum Announces 360/PS3 MadWorld Follow-Up 'Max Anarchy'

Because every protagonist with a chainsaw for an arm deserves a second shot, I’m stoked to share this bit of news with you: Platinum Games has revealed a new action-oriented, online-centric game featuring Jack of Madworld fame. It's called Max Anarchy and, unfortunately, further details are super sketchy at the moment.

Here's what we've got. In an interview with Famitsu magazine (translated via Andriasang), Platinum's Atsushi Inaba brands Max Anarchy as a "massively multiplayer melee fighting action" game. He doesn't dive into specifics, but he does confirm the assumption based on that branding that Max Anarchy will support a large number of players tasked with beating each other up in a free-for-all scenario.

As for the Jack thing... well, it appears as if Platinum just wanted to put the star in another title. Inaba says he'll make an appearance for sure, but the game won't revolve around him--not even its offline campaign component, which was mentioned in passing alongside a separate co-op component.

The game is slated to hit the Xbox 360 and PS3 at some point worldwide in Fall 2011, so we'll probably hear a lot more about Max Anarchy in the coming months. I guess I should add that Inaba seems pretty sure Platinum is doing something with this game that has never been done before, so this should be an interesting one to follow.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/platinum-announces-360ps3-madworld-follow-up-max-anarchy/2873/

SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today reveal details on upcoming third-person multiplayer brawler, ANARCHY REIGNS™, the much anticipated next title from critically acclaimed developer PlatinumGames. ANARCHY REIGNS will be available in Autumn 2011 on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

With ANARCHY REIGNS, PlatinumGames will be using their hallmark creativity and technical excellence to challenge the boundaries of the conventional brawler genre by allowing multiple players to get involved in heavy-hitting action simultaneously. ANARCHY REIGNS incorporates a diverse range of multiplayer modes to provide players with different challenges, including Tag Team battles and Battle Royal, where players can challenge others in a full-on fight for victory.

“SEGA are delighted to continue our collaboration with PlatinumGames, one of the most creative and critically acclaimed developers in the world,” said Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing of SEGA West. “ANARCHY REIGNS is set to offer gamers a fresh multiplayer experience with the quality and innovation PlatinumGames are renowned for.”

ANARCHY REIGNS will be available in Autumn 2011 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

Screens:

ANARCHYREIGNS_AnnouncementScreen1.jpg

ANARCHYREIGNS_AnnouncementScreen2.jpg

ANARCHYREIGNS_AnnouncementScreen3.jpg

More screenshots:

ana2wm15.jpg

ana1omrh.jpg

ana3zmba.jpg

New Info:

We’ve also noticed on various forums questions regarding who exactly from PlatinumGames is on the team for this title. Well, we can sort that one out easily enough for you whilst we’re at it. You can find the relevant information below.

ANARCHY REIGNS: Details of the Development Team

Producer: Atsushi Inaba

Biography:

Born in Ishikawa in 1971, Atsushi Inaba joined Capcom in 1998, after gaining experience at a variety of game developers,

Since 2000, he directed a number of games as a producer.

He now assumes executive director and producer within the R&D division for PlatinumGames Inc.

Noted Works:

“VANQUISH” Microsoft Xbox 360/Sony PlayStation 3

“MADWORLD” Nintendo Wii

“Infinite Space” Nintendo DS

“Okami” Sony PlayStation 2

Atsushi Inaba says:

“ANARCHY REIGNS is not only our first online effort, but also a game that establishes a new genre: The online multiplayer brawler. This title stands as testament to the challenges PlatinumGames has overcome, and hints at the risks we continue to take. Don’t miss it!”

Director: Masaki Yamanaka

Biography:

Game Designer of PlatinumGames Inc.

Born in Osaka in 1973, Masaki Yamanaka joined Capcom in 1997 and worked on the ”Resident Evil” series as a designer.

He held an important role while creating the innovative graphic style as an art director, for “MADWORLD” the first title of PlatinumGames.

ANARCHY REIGNS is his debut title for him as a game director.

Noted Works:

“MADWORLD” Nintendo Wii

“GOD HAND” Sony PlayStation 2

“Resident Evil 4” Nintendo GameCube

”Resident Evil” Nintendo GameCube

Masaki Yamanaka says:

“Up until now, my career has focused on the art and design; however, I’m now making my game directorial debut with ANARCHY REIGNS, and I hope the game delivers a new experience to gamers worldwide. There are plenty of “versus multiplayer games” where you face each other down the barrels of a gun. ANARCHY REIGNS is unique in that allows a large number of players to go fist to fist in online multiplayer battles. The challenge of creating a brawler like this is second to none, but neither is the gameplay. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat are both amped far beyond what you would ever experience in a shooter. I’m making this the game that I always wanted to play, and I won’t stop until that is what it becomes. I hope you all look forward to brawling online.”

Not sure I get it. It's an arena fighter? I can imagine it'd get frustrating you're having a fight with someone just to have someone else punch you in the back. What's to stop people ganging up as well? Really need some more gameplay details.

Meet Sasha, the Ice Queen. She makes use of a weapon called "Snow Spikes," which can generate sharp ice crystals in an instant. Have a look at the character's introductory video clip, complete with our first actual gameplay footage of Anarchy Reigns, at Famitsu.com.

It's not often where you see a 360/PS3 sequel to a Wii game where the Wii game was 100 times more impressive visually.

This just looks generic and dull.

Couldn't agree more Cube, take away the visual style and the characters and city look absolutely aweful! They've ruined Jack, I perceived him so much cooler in Black and White.

And yeah, I don't understand how the gameplay will work... it basically seems its MadWorld, only this time every enemy/character in the open levels is playable!... which as a brawler would just be too manic and uncontrolable!

Edited by Retro_Link

Couldn't agree more Cube, take away the visual style and the characters and city look absolutely aweful! They've ruined Jack, I perceived him so much cooler in Black and White.

I think it would look even better coloured in to be honest, one of my favourite games ever for visuals was Ultimate Spiderman, and I think this would have been much better with a similar look. The black and white was nice, certainly highlighted the blood, but would have benefited from more colour, the style was great though.

Zero, the ninja. His best friends are his twin swords Oni Maru and Juzu Maru.

It's not often where you see a 360/PS3 sequel to a Wii game where the Wii game was 100 times more impressive visually.

This just looks generic and dull.

It not a sequel to Madworld.

• 5 months later...

Dualshockers.com

The two stories will eventually interact with each other to create a single bigger picture.

Sega also detailed four of the characters of the game:

Leo is an officer of the Bureau for Public Safety (BPS) and a member of the team Strike One, led by Nikolai (see below), alongside with a lady named Sasha. He believes in honesty and has a strong sense of justice. He’s an expert of the martial art called Cybrid Art and fights using a sword named Positron Blade, that can be extended freely.

Nikolai is the current commander of team Strike One. He’s an ex sergeant of the special forces and believes in a zero tolerance policy towards criminals to protect peace and order. His cybernetic arms named Blitz Tesla can focus the power of a reactor against his enemies, delivering tremendous lightning attacks.

Baron, nicknamed BB since his real name is Black Baron, is a Bounty Hunter, and the old rival of Jack. He’s a boxing champion and is equipped with the Super Sexy Fist of Fire (yes, that’s the name, I didn’t make this up). Thanks to his cybernetic arms he can freely control the power of flames to burn his enemies as he punches them.

Matilda is the partner of Baron. Her identity is unknown, but her body is cybernetically modified, giving her superhuman strength. She fights using a gigantic spiked mace named Iron Maiden.

In addition to this the newly released information also included details on two online multiplayer modes. Battle Royale and Survival.

In Battle Royale up to eight players will fight with no limits against everyone else, counting deaths and respawns in order to determine the winner of each round, while in Survival teams of up to three players will have to fight for survival against several waves of AI controlled enemies. In both modes not only the two protagonists, but also the secondary characters will be selectable.

• 1 year later...

IT LIVES!!!

EBW9Z.png

What a great price! Bit sad that it has had to come to this, but it's good to see that it's coming after all! :D

Also they're gonna be translating the Japanese site (including the developer diaries) and we'll be able to play with people who have the JPN copy!