Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I'm expecting a thriller tomorrow. Just gotta sleep through it and hope to wake up before Silverstone.

Also, Good News!/JamesMay My local Odeon has suddenly scheduled a showing of Senna and I've hitched a ride with my best bud (a.k.a martinist, who as you may know is not a consummate F1 fan) to go see the movie tomorrow, public transport in these parts being so scheduled as it may as well not be. I've agreed to buy his ticket and anything he wants from the snack stand as a thank you. :heh:

tumblrln9aapphfb1qg2ho1.jpg

*actual picture, tomorrow.

If Bernie ever thinks of dropping Barcelona in favour of Valencia (as I'm not sure if he was hinting at on the grid walk?), someone needs to hunt him down!

This race is consistantly by far the worst race of the year in every way!

Barcelona was actually pretty decent this year, and at least an attractive, proper race track with levels.

EDIT: Fucking Vettel.

I'm going to Silverstone this year, I hope it's not a walkover.
I'd imagine there'll be some great racing and overtaking... but the BBC just reminded me that Red Bull have won there the last two years... so wouldn't be at all surprised to see that.

Maybe we can hope for a bit of rain.

So Hamilton has said he CAN'T Win at Silverstone, and also other title contenders are writing the season off already....

Hamilton says the car lacks pace to win - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13919558.stm

Vettel Title rivals concede defeat in title race -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13921513.stm

Well after all the ups and downs of 2010, I was hoping 2011 would be as competitive, but if the other title contenders are writing it off already, it doesn't bode well :hmm:

^ Hamilton did just tweet to say 'don't bother reading into what the papers are saying this morning, me and the team are still pushing hard'.

I'd still like to think there's a chance of a fightback from someone, but with the Red Bull being so reliable I just can't see it. Think all we can hope for are no KERS off the start line.

They'll still push all the way, it's what they do, but they clearly have to be realistic. Unless Silverstone reveals the new off-throttle restrictions to be a huge game changer (and all the speculation is it would actually help, not hinder Red Bull overall) the whole Championship is as good as gone. The racing will almost certainly be excellent again, throughout the rest of the season - for second place and below, at least.

Anyway, went to see Senna yesterday - I think I didn't quite get as much out of it as I should have. I went in expecting a documentary which it really isn't - it's actually a drama made out of archive footage edited together, with a specific narrative it's selling to you and requires a greater suspension of disbelief then most documentaries normally would ask for. Wonderful film though.

Also whoever composed the score deserves the BAFTA, the Oscar and the Nobel Prize.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

EDIT: Composer was Antonio Pinto. Somebody give that man a fucking medal.

Edited by gaggle64

I was hungover and woke up in time to see Vettel cross the finish line. Suffice to say I wasn't the least bit upset I'd missed the GP this week :heh:

I think you made the better call. Silverstone should be good though. It's a bit of an odd season really, it's disappointing one driver winning it all but the racing has still been fantastic.

I also understand it was Nico's birthday today. 26 years old and still fabulous. :heh:

tumblr_lmbmumCAVH1ql2bgto1_500.png

Listen to Lewis Hamilton and Kamui Kobayashi at the FOTA Fans Forum, UK :D

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/06/listen-to-lewis-hamilton-and-kamui-kobayashi-at-the-fota-fans-forum-uk/

Also

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92740

Hispania confirms Daniel Ricciardo will race for it from Silverstone

Hispania has confirmed that Daniel Ricciardo will make his Formula 1 racing debut in one of its cars at the British Grand Prix.

Red Bull protege Ricciardo has been third driver for Toro Rosso so far this season, alongside a campaign in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series.

"It's a dream come true for me - for the first time on an F1 starting grid!" said Ricciardo. "I had to pinch myself a couple of times to be sure that it's real. I'm excited and can hardly wait to drive at Silverstone. It's a new challenge, a new experience, a new team, but I'm ready and will give of my best in any event."

AUTOSPORT understands that Ricciardo will take Narain Karthikeyan's seat alongside Tonio Liuzzi for all remaining 2011 races bar the Indian Grand Prix, with Karthikeyan still set to run at his home race.

Ricciardo is effectively being loaned to Hispania by Red Bull so the organisation can assess him in a race situation and up against a known quantity in Liuzzi. The Australian had been tipped to replace either Sebastien Buemi or Jaime Alguersuari at Toro Rosso during the season if either's form proved disappointing.

Hispania team chairman Jose Ramon Carabante is optimistic that the deal to run Ricciardo could be the start of a greater collaboration between his squad and Red Bull.

"This agreement is a reward for all the hard work Hispania Racing has shown since we started in Formula 1 last year," he said. "We're proud that the Formula 1 world champion team has trusted us in their effort of developing their drivers. Let's hope that this is just the start of a fruitful relationship."

Good to see he's being given a chance somewhere, after all the talk surrounding him stepping into a Toro Rosso seat next year.

Only be able to compare him to Luizzi, Glock and D'Ambrosio really, but lets see.

Edited by Retro_Link

Omg that is so good! Lewis' line on Eddie Jordan was incredible.

Lewis: Overtaking Michael in the last race was too easy for me because of DRS. Eddie Jordan was talking about how much of an incredible pass it was....show's what he knows.

Amazing.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92843

Williams to run Renault engines again from 2012

Williams has announced that it will use Renault engines from the 2012 season, in a renewal of the partnership that dominated Formula 1 for much of the 1990s.

A good move, but really engines are the least of their worries. Engines are all so reliable now anyways, all they can really hope for a fraction more power and the engine maintaining it's power better over the life cycle.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92832

Virgin enters into technical partnership with McLaren

Virgin Racing has announced a technical tie-up with McLaren in a bid to help it improve its form in Formula 1.

As part of the deal, Virgin Racing will have access to McLaren's facilities - such a test rigs, simulators and computer technology - plus its wind tunnel. Furthermore staff from McLaren will be placed within the Virgin Racing group.

Meh... not fussed about Virgin tbh.

---

But what I did come in here to post was that on Top Gear next week, Seb is apparently driving 'the reasonably priced car', well the one the F1 drivers use.

Surely he'll beat Rubens, who is currently top, but really we need Hamilton to come back on... he's only got that incredibly fast wet lap time posted up there so far.

A good move, but really engines are the least of their worries. Engines are all so reliable now anyways, all they can really hope for a fraction more power and the engine maintaining it's power better over the life cycle.

Meh... not fussed about Virgin tbh.

---

But what I did come in here to post was that on Top Gear next week, Seb is apparently driving 'the reasonably priced car', well the one the F1 drivers use.

Surely he'll beat Rubens, who is currently top, but really we need Hamilton to come back on... he's only got that incredibly fast wet lap time posted up there so far.

Hmmm, if he does go top, it'll prove it's not only his car that is why he is so dominant.

Hmmm, if he does go top, it'll prove it's not only his car that is why he is so dominant.
Well not really, I mean the only other drivers on there are...

- Webber, who he can beat anyway

- Jenson,

- Lewis, who drove a wet lap

- Rubens, dunno how he posted the fastest time as the others are better.

Well not really, I mean the only other drivers on there are...

- Webber, who he can beat anyway

- Jenson,

- Lewis, who drove a wet lap

- Rubens, dunno how he posted the fastest time as the others are better.

They aren't driving F1 cars though, they all have the same machinery under them, over 1 lap which they can practice for Rubens managed to bring it round quickest, it means nothing in F1. Clearly you underestimate Barrichello's driving talent, he may not have won a world championship but he's won races and been at Ferrari, not many can say that.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!